Apple announces Cross Border ordering to 20 countries

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

That's not Apple's decision to make; it's the content providers'.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I know.. Just sayin' is all.

It is too bad, but I think it's because the recording industry has a lot of legal baggage that predates the internet, in terms of things like how the rights are sold off by country, and in terms of different content regulations in place in each country. I'm sure there are other considerations too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

It wasn't "The White House" when we burned it, it was painted pink. No lie.

If it was pink, that was clearly a serious error. I will chalk up the arson as "aggressive decorating advice".
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

Wow, for that much you could take a vacation to the US, buy it here, and still have money left over.

Actually, no - but I could take a short trip to the UK and buy it there and still have money left over Don't have that much cash at the moment though
  • Reply 23 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It wasn't "The White House" when we burned it, it was painted pink. No lie.

I can't find any reliable looking source on the history of the White House that confirms that. Do you have a link so we can read up on it.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I was skimming through the replies and your comment made my diet pepsi come out my nose!

I know how much that stings but I can't help but laugh at your pain.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDyndale View Post

I know Apple definitely aren't stupid - but for some reason I got my hopes up, for a fraction of a second, that I could get somebody in the U.S. to buy me a Mac Pro and have it delivered to me here in Norway and that it would be billed in U.S. dollars.

That would be cool - because an 8-core Mac Pro (2.26GHz) with 16GB RAM and the ATI graphics card costs (with today's exchange rate) $5,460 here in Norway, while in the American Apple Store it costs $4,049. Though, I'm not sure if VAT is included in the American price. The Norwegian price includes 25% VAT.

I'm saving to get one of those - and it would have been so cool if I could have saved over a thousand bucks on that monster. Oh well, I might as well wish I'd win the lottery...

Let me get this straight. You live in the European Union and get all the social perks of it; and somehow magically thought you could bypass the VAT?

Amazing.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't find any reliable looking source on the history of the White House that confirms that. Do you have a link so we can read up on it.

Shoot - looks like it was an urban myth, the white house was white as early as 1798...
  • Reply 26 of 71
    Quote:

Shoot - looks like it was an urban myth, the white house was white as early as 1798...

I think it was yesterday I was complaining on these forums about how much stuff we're told that turns out to be false.

PS: Are you one of the Coloradans that are buying up all the ammo in fear that Obama will outlaw firearms?
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Does this mean European customers can buy US products without VAT? 'cause this would kill apple resellers in Europe.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Speaking of urban myths, I'm pretty sure Apple thinks Canada itself is an urban myth. It would certainly explain the way they act toward us. \
  • Reply 29 of 71
    Quote:

I think it was yesterday I was complaining on these forums about how much stuff we're told that turns out to be false.

PS: Are you one of the Coloradans that are buying up all the ammo in fear that Obama will outlaw firearms?

I live in Boulder - liberal enclave, and I don't own a gun - if people are stockpiling ammo it is in some other part of the state.

I kind of like guns for the same reason I like cameras (and other mechanical devices), but I have never owned one. I think you are probably safest if you don't own a gun, but live in an an area that has lots of guns (& concealed weapons permits).
  • Reply 30 of 71
    Quote:

I live in Boulder - liberal enclave, and I don't own a gun - if people are stockpiling ammo it is in some other part of the state.

I kind of like guns for the same reason I like cameras (and other mechanical devices), but I have never owned one. I think you are probably safest if you don't own a gun, but live in an an area that has lots of guns (& concealed weapons permits).

Here is an article. It was talked about on The Howard Stern Show today.
    I, too, like weapons for the same reason I like other machines, but have never owned a handgun. I did go through a shooting class to get certified to obtain a concealed weapon and go shooting about every couple months at a ranges that let you rent from an assortment of choices. I just like to know things but I don't foresee myself ever owning a gun. I am quite a good shot, too.

PS: This week on The Howard Stern Show Howard has also discussed getting rid of his Palm Treo in favour of a new smartphone. The Pre interests him but it's too far away. He use Lotus Notes and likes threaded SMS messages. He is leaning toward the iPhone but is unsure about the touchscreen keyboard. I think he is also in NYC still which would make going to AT&T a bad choice according to our resident posters who are from the city.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i swear steve jobs hates canada.

take back alanis morissette and we'll talk.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday quietly introduced its new Cross Border campaign, which allows US-based customers to make purchases for recipients located in Mexico, 15 countries across Europe, and 4 countries in Southeast Asia.

All cross border orders will be billed in the currency of the destination country at an exchange rate that will be determined by the purcheser's bank at the time the order is settled.

Cupertino still has no love for its military customers yet either Canada, so don't feel too alone - we're American! Military or militarily-related customers with an APO/FPO box can order and send through a third-party company (like ShipitAPO or APO Box) but incur additional fees for doing so. Would that be more than outright paying for a new iMac at host-country prices?

Probably not, but that isn't the point either!
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Quote:

Different countries have different economies with different laws governing how they operate. The iTunes Store situation is about copyrights, not a CEO's disdain for his Northern neighbors. The lack of 'special deals' is probably because you burned down our White House once. Canadians = Terrorists.

The USA does harm to the world asking for Terrorist to kill Americans.

America deserves what it gives. Sorry!

As for Canada, we always are shafted. I don't support American companies anyhow.

I try to buy little Apple as possible...
  • Reply 34 of 71
    Calling Canadians Terrorist? WTF is America?
  • Reply 35 of 71
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i swear steve jobs hates canada.

we waited forever for the iphone, the canadian itunes store still sucks, we never get access to the same 'special deals' in the online store, despite the fact that orders ship from california anyway, the list goes on...

on behalf of other canadians, i sincerely apologize to our vegan 'dear leader' for canadian bacon. what else could it be?

Leave me out.

Right now, Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:40PM EST, you could buy a Mac Mini from the US at $599 US or $736 CAD. The Apple Store Canada lists the Mini at $729 CAD.

Or better yet, a Macbook Pro 15' lists for $1999 (US Store) or $2149 (Canadian Store). The $1999 converted would cost $2456 CAD.

Best you Americans head north.

P.S., A fully loaded Mac Pro with a couple of 30" displays goes for nearly $19,000 US. You can get the same thing in Canada for just about $21,000 CAD or $17,000 US.

When you come across the border, please step cautiously. We have a bit of horseshit lying around here, left over from a few watching themselves in the mirror.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Let me get this straight. You live in the European Union and get all the social perks of it; and somehow magically thought you could bypass the VAT?

Amazing.

If you add 25% VAT to the US price it's still 400$ cheaper...
  • Reply 37 of 71
    Quote:

Here is an article. It was talked about on The Howard Stern Show today.

I wish that I had noticed this trend earlier, gun manufacturers like RGR are up 100% since Janruary.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

The USA does harm to the world asking for Terrorist to kill Americans.

America deserves what it gives. Sorry!

As for Canada, we always are shafted. I don't support American companies anyhow.

I try to buy little Apple as possible...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Calling Canadians Terrorist? WTF is America?

You are really taking my jocular comment about an incident that happened 185 years ago to heart. Note that I don't think Steve Jobs doesn't give Canada special deals on Apple products because of a very old incident that occured by British troops from a Canadian colony.

Quote:

I wish that I had noticed this trend earlier, gun manufacturers like RGR are up 100% since Janruary.

If I would had known the foolish paranoia people had en mass I would have bought some stock in such things.

After the economy readjusts and Gold falls again i will be buying gold. This way, when the economy suffers again and sticks fall I can watch gold go up. This has all happened before and it will happen again; so say we all.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

The lack of 'special deals' is probably because you burned down our White House once.

Man, you guys will never let us live that down!
  • Reply 40 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

You are really taking my jocular comment about an incident that happened 185 years ago to heart. Note that I don't think Steve Jobs doesn't give Canada special deals on Apple products because of a very old incident that occured by British troops from a Canadian colony.

Also, the idea of "we" vs. "they" is usually silly for most people on any time scale. Even sillier when it's many generations ago. My ancestors certainly had nothing to do with that, their families immigrated early in the last century.

Quote:

If I would had known the foolish paranoia people had en mass I would have bought some stock in such things.

Someone thinking about it probably could have realized this given how viral smear emails had gotten major traction during the campaigns. Still, hindsight is 20-20.

Quote:

After the economy readjusts and Gold falls again i will be buying gold. This way, when the economy suffers again and sticks fall I can watch gold go up. This has all happened before and it will happen again; so say we all.

I think you can probably wait about 5 years before buying gold. Major excrement hits the fan every seven to ten years, and you'll get the lowest prices when things are going the best. The markets seem to exaggerate the condition of the market too, it's a twisted feedback loop.