Just a thought...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I know its not a "tablet" but its easier to communicate with the majority of people out there who thinks its either going to be a "tablet" or a "netbook". The public has no concept of what Apple is about to do.

You mean that apple is about to release an iScroll?

Yeah, the public is just so clueless.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

You mean that apple is about to release an iScroll?

Yeah, the public is just so clueless.

It isn't necessarily a type of scroll. But it could be. The point is I don't think the mystery product will be of any of the conventional designs that are out there.

I (and Apple it seems) don't think micro laptops are the way to go for the design of a product that is between a cell phone and a laptop.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    If you can roll it up you can likely fold it (kinda). Note that the folding one shown by Samsung (I think it was Samsung) had a crease but it's not too objectionable.

Folding permits a solid back. A scroll cannot. That probably gives the edge to a folding device that is about the size of a DS for a MID. Still small enough to be pocketable but large enough for paperback page sized display.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

If you can roll it up you can likely fold it (kinda). Note that the folding one shown by Samsung (I think it was Samsung) had a crease but it's not too objectionable.

Folding permits a solid back. A scroll cannot. That probably gives the edge to a folding device that is about the size of a DS for a MID. Still small enough to be pocketable but large enough for paperback page sized display.

Yes I concur. If this is the way they are going it is probably going to be some sort of folding device. However, Don't count out a design similar to the prototype shown here out of the question.

As shown as you pull out the screen the folding mechanism simultaneously provides a solid back.

Who knows what Jon Ive might come up with if he was given similar components to design from.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Yes I concur. If this is the way they are going it is probably going to be some sort of folding device. However, Don't count out a design similar to the prototype shown here out of the question.

There are several ways Apple could go with this device. I would not be surprised to see a device, with considerably improved capability, marketed as an iPod Classic replacement. It should be fairly easy to move that platform to a folder. The interesting part would be do they go wide screen or square.

Of course that is iPod derived hardware, I'm still not convinced that Apple will put full Mac OS/X into a sub netbook device.

Quote:

As shown as you pull out the screen the folding mechanism simultaneously provides a solid back.

Ok let's be honest, the device offered up is a cool concept but let's face it the surface can't be considered solid. That is simply to much of a stretch for me .

Quote:

Who knows what Jon Ive might come up with if he was given similar components to design from.

The cell phone components market is exploding right now. Even our beloved iPhone 3G could get a very nice rev from off the self parts. Almost every thing in the phone is available in lower power I'd higher performance variants. This doesn't even include things that Apple could go custom with. Apple should be able to drive down the cost of the iPhone and increase performance at the same time.

What this would do is open up a marketing slot for a higher performance device. Frankly the slot is needed because I don't see a lot of people laying down more than $700 for the device. The price might be obscured by a carrier contract but I don't see everybody wanting carrier access. That is the device really needs a WiFi only option. Even if it is WiFi only, Apple needs to keep the device at least somewhat competitve with netbooks.

The good thing is that all these new components provide Apple with many possibilities. Nothing should be rejected as impossible just maybe unlikely with iScroll. The thought that the device may very well break the mold is sound though. The problem is technology now is such that predicting what the device will look like is a guessing game. One key factor here though is that just about everybody wants a pocketable device with a larger screen. Well that and a lot of flash space.

Dave
  • Reply 46 of 54
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Um... well actually it is precisely a scroll and not a tablet.

(Perhaps you're using "tablet" to refer to any handheld computer relying on a touch screen for interaction. This would result in considerable confusion.)

Scrolls roll up, not fold, so its not a scroll.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    We were discussing this thing... which looks roll-up to me.

Many centuries ago there were scrolls with boxed ends and scissored support arms.

Either way though, I'm not sure what I'd gain by convincing anyone of the proper name for what's pictured below.

Quote:

• Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:

Many centuries ago there were scrolls with boxed ends and scissored support arms.

Either way though, I'm not sure what I'd gain by convincing anyone of the proper name for what's pictured below.

iScroll
  • Reply 49 of 54
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Maybe I'm the only one thinking this ... but that thing is kinda ugly.

I do like orange and black together though, nice combo.

Jimzip
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The point isn't whether it will be a 7" or a 10" device but that the 10" size sucks for a slate. Too big to be big pocket portable (like a DS or PSP) and too small to be a decent tablet or notebook replacement. I have never wished that one of my slates were smaller...only thinner like a MBA. Apple can manage that with a 12" display.

10" appears to be a sweet spot for usable keyboard size. So why skip the keyboard? IMHO a 10" slate wont sell as well as a 7" slate because of portability. But a 10" netbook will sell very well.

So I'm hoping for a 10" netbook and based on the panel size that would be my guess.

Why would a 10" slate be too small to serve as a netbook/notebook replacement?
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleeinstein View Post

Why would a 10" slate be too small to serve as a netbook/notebook replacement?

More importantly, the difference in input hardware alone is enough to make tablets and notebooks forever suited to different tasks. Then there is the fact that one must be held in order to be used while the other can't be held while in use. They aren't interchangeable in my mind.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:

More importantly, the difference in input hardware alone is enough to make tablets and notebooks forever suited to different tasks. Then there is the fact that one must be held in order to be used while the other can't be held while in use. They aren't interchangeable in my mind.

Perfect! Then this difference could be solved by having a 10" Mac OS X netbook with twin touch screens facing opposite directions in the lid...a "convertible" that you "convert" simply by closing the notebook. Open, it runs full Mac OS X, closed, it runs instant-on Touch OS and App Store apps using the computer's hardware and battery. Wizard's idea, not mine; I just like it. At 0.6" thick when closed and a 10" diagonal footprint, it's small enough to be held in the hand when used. A slate with a built-in netbook.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleeinstein View Post

Perfect! Then this difference could be solved by having a 10" Mac OS X netbook with twin touch screens facing opposite directions in the lid...a "convertible" that you "convert" simply by closing the notebook. Open, it runs full Mac OS X, closed, it runs instant-on Touch OS and App Store apps using the computer's hardware and battery. Wizard's idea, not mine; I just like it. At 0.6" thick when closed and a 10" diagonal footprint, it's small enough to be held in the hand when used. A slate with a built-in netbook.

Definitely an option. Keep in mind that this makes the hardware more expensive, bigger, and heavier... not the characteristics that most people look for in portable computing. This is why such products haven't yet been terribly successful.

At this point in computing, pretty much any form factor that we dream up on this forum has not only been though about, but also functionally prototyped, and possibly even released as a commercial product. Not that suggesting them is dumb or bad. Rather, just pointing out that hardware manufacturers aren't simply missing something obvious.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    anna2009anna2009 Posts: 18member
    i do agree. like you wanna do something else. something meaningfull. actually be remembered. i know exactly how you feel. actually i feel like i have to. while i was in my mom's "belly" there were MAJOR complications in my birth. and well pretty much i survived abortion four times. two different forms. and well i feel like i'm here for something special. unfourtunately like most of society i have a crappy self esteem and have not found one thing that im good at. really is depressing. and well don't worry you're not alone with that feeling. just give it sometime. there;s alot to life you just gotta learn how to search for your calling, make wise desicions and just live life