Apple close to unveiling guarded Snow Leopard UI overhaul

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    New softer UI is a must. Direct hit at Fugly Interface of Win7.
  • Reply 22 of 122
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

As long as they keep the interface clean and give an option to keep the old interface. The new interface seems to remind me of their pro apps. It seems that I'll wait for Snow Leopard to be pre installed on Macs before I make the plunge and buy a new machine.

When have they ever given that option? You may get it with a third party solution.
  • Reply 23 of 122
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    The screenshots are a comin'!
  • Reply 24 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bzuniga View Post

Haven't we seen this confluence of events before? Anticipated June release for new phone hardware + new phone software, plus an anticipated August debut for a major OS release (e.g.-Leopard) resulted in Leopard being delayed until October.

It would seem to me that the anticipated new iPhone hardware (iPhone 3,1) + a major iPhone OS revamp (iPhone OS 3.0) could mean a repeat of the Mac OS delay that hit Leopard. There are only so many people working at Apple. And don't kid yourself, these are all MAJOR refreshes of hardware and software.

If Apple sits on the new UI theme, this would likely only exacerbate the problem.

I would love to see all 3 of these drop within two months of each other, although my pocket book won't; but I just don't see this happening. I wouldn't be surprised to see Snow Leopard slip back a couple of months. Sorry about throwing cold water on you! My bucket is now empty.

I believe they made the 10.5 delay announcement earlier in the cycle than it is now.

I would imagine that with all this much time under the bridge since then, Apple has had time to bulk up.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    I would just HATE for them to remove the blue glass scroll bars and replace them with some ugly Linux style like they have in iTunes. I'm glad it's just speculation. For the UI changes, I'm expecting it to be like iWork.com and Safari 4.
  • Reply 26 of 122
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    The semi-transparent title bar on Quicktime seems a little gratuitous and possibly even annoying.

I also hope they keep the Aqua blue scroll bars. The flat scroll bars are too, well, flat.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Apple needs to get all of their applications and system utilities under the same UI, whatever it is.

That said, I hope they're not going down the Microsoft path and now each year we're going to get a new UI simply for the sake of changing the UI.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

... I also can't believe that Apple would wait until the last minute on showing to developers a wholly new GUI. ...

I sure hope they do keep it away from them.

The Apple developer community is not what it used to be. There are hundreds of useless slackers that are a part of the developer program only so they can search through the code and violate their NDAs trying to be the first to release pics to Gizmodo or some other similar low-brow site.

I'm kind of sick and tired myself of the constant leaks of everything before it appears. Just because someone is a "developer" doesn't mean they are actually doing any developing or give a sh*t about Apple, NDAs, etc.
  • Reply 29 of 122
  • Reply 30 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I sure hope they do keep it away from them.

The Apple developer community is not what it used to be. There are hundreds of useless slackers that are a part of the developer program only so they can search through the code and violate their NDAs trying to be the first to release pics to Gizmodo or some other similar low-brow site.

I'm kind of sick and tired myself of the constant leaks of everything before it appears. Just because someone is a "developer" doesn't mean they are actually doing any developing or give a sh*t about Apple, NDAs, etc.

First, major developers get it. Then, later, others will too.

By the time they do, it doesn't matter if it gets released. If fact, all of us here want to see it as soon as possible. Neither MS or any other OS developer can us it in the two months or so before it come out, so it won't matter.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bzuniga View Post

Haven't we seen this confluence of events before? Anticipated June release for new phone hardware + new phone software, plus an anticipated August debut for a major OS release (e.g.-Leopard) resulted in Leopard being delayed until October.

It would seem to me that the anticipated new iPhone hardware (iPhone 3,1) + a major iPhone OS revamp (iPhone OS 3.0) could mean a repeat of the Mac OS delay that hit Leopard. There are only so many people working at Apple. And don't kid yourself, these are all MAJOR refreshes of hardware and software.

If Apple sits on the new UI theme, this would likely only exacerbate the problem.

I would love to see all 3 of these drop within two months of each other, although my pocket book won't; but I just don't see this happening. I wouldn't be surprised to see Snow Leopard slip back a couple of months. Sorry about throwing cold water on you! My bucket is now empty.

Just the opposite... they're pulling developers from the iPhone team to work on SNL
  • Reply 32 of 122
    I haven't seen ANY trace of change in all of the SL builds that have come out so i'm not holding my breath. This would be a MAJOR feature indeed if Apple decides to pull a rabbit out of the had with 10.6

Has anyone out there noticed any improvement/code changes in regards to RI ?

Adi
  • Reply 33 of 122
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I've always had a nostalgic fondness for the old Hotdog Stand.

I haven't seen that in years! For once, I want Apple to license something from MS.

Seriously.
  • Reply 34 of 122
    I really don't like this so-called 'marble theme'. Apple should invent better or leave the current theme intact.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    They're bringing back Gizmo!!1

• Reply 36 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

I've notice that Safari takes too much memory and crash pretty often...

FWIW, the only crashes I get in Safari are due to the Flash plugin. You can verify this by looking at the stack backtrace in CrashReporter.

As far as Safari's memory consumption goes, it's probably a safe assumption that the 'too much memory' is cached web content. How do you define 'too much', how are you making that assessment? If Safari wasn't doing that caching, would you be complaining instead that it's 'too slow'? A memory/time tradeoff is a pretty common software engineering issue. Apple has decided to focus on speed. I think most people appreciate that.
  • Reply 37 of 122
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I've always had a nostalgic fondness for the old Hotdog Stand.

My eyes!!!
  • Reply 38 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I also can't believe that Apple would wait until the last minute on showing to developers a wholly new GUI. They will have to see this enough in advance. They may have to rework their own interfaces as a result.

You are just too logical!

Should we believe that the rumor mills are making stuff up?

I also agree that the 10.6 GUI is final and they are working on bugs under the hood.
  • Reply 39 of 122
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    The rebuild of Finder in Leopard was a good step forward, but Finder needs some serious love in order to make it as powerful as many of their apps are now. Other than the redesigned window layouts and integration with things like QuickLook, it doesn't seem like any new real functionality has been added to Finder in many many years. There's so much they could do with it.
  • Reply 40 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

I've notice that Safari takes too much memory and crash pretty often....

Yup. Safari uses way too many resources.

I find Camino uses much less processing power.