unlocked iphone ebay questions

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I intend to buy some sort of an smartphone. I'm thinking about buying an unlocked iphone over ebay.

There are some points I do not fully understand about this thingy.

I want to know if there are any significant problems that would await me if I want to upgarde some (ebay bought) iphone 3G with FM 2.2.1 or older with the 3.0 OS.

I need to buy some unlocked over ebay. Although my current provider offers an iphone their price is ridiculous. This phone is never worth that much money.

Also are there differneces between these unlocks. There are some who claim to offer officially/legally/factory unlocked phones. Is this worth something or just some nonsense.

I want to be able to use it in Austria and the United States. But I don't need 3G at least not yet. I have almost 95% of the time wifi access. So I will not pay for expensive 3G internet.

lg dusk

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dusk View Post

I intend to buy some sort of an smartphone. I'm thinking about buying an unlocked iphone over ebay.

There are some points I do not fully understand about this thingy.

I want to know if there are any significant problems that would await me if I want to upgarde some (ebay bought) iphone 3G with FM 2.2.1 or older with the 3.0 OS.

I need to buy some unlocked over ebay. Although my current provider offers an iphone their price is ridiculous. This phone is never worth that much money.

Also are there differneces between these unlocks. There are some who claim to offer officially/legally/factory unlocked phones. Is this worth something or just some nonsense.

I want to be able to use it in Austria and the United States. But I don't need 3G at least not yet. I have almost 95% of the time wifi access. So I will not pay for expensive 3G internet.

lg dusk

Some are jailbroken and unlocked it's best to avoid these as an update or restore will lock it again.

Factory unlocked are sold in some countries e.g. Italy if you update or restore it will remain unlocked.

There is only one 3G model it works with both European and US 3G.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    duskdusk Posts: 36member
    Thanks I know there is only one model that's the one of advantage over most other phone which usually only support either us or european UMTS.

If I get a jailbroken and unlocked phone (because ie the fact.unlock. is significantly more expensive), is it still likely that I can unlock it after updateing the firmware??

I know a lot about computers but I just don't know how difficult it is to unlock a phone or if I get all the features unlocked. It is after all some piece of hardware. Software on a computer is easy to crack but I know almost nothing about mobile phones.

I'm trying to buy it in the UK because of the GBP vs. EUR exchange rate.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sjhonsjhon Posts: 1member

hi can one of you tell me how can i unlock my iphone manually?where as i'm living in south Africa.