Apple close to unveiling guarded Snow Leopard UI overhaul

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

Your understanding of Resolution Independence is EXACTLY what it is supposed to be in its true meaning. Having 2 monitors with various pixel sizes and resolutions look the same to the user is what RI will bring to the table once Apple gets it out the door.

I do have a feeling that this will only happen with 10.7 as i haven't seen any progress being done on any of the 10.6 builds. Worse yet, this may be even further delayed as i really don't see it how they could make Carbon apps resolution independent without some major problems. If Apple dumps Carbon in 10.7 or 10.8, then chances are we will then see RI released. All this is IMO of course.

Adi

If they wait that long, even MS will have it!

They've dumped older parts of the system before, they can do it again.

They've put developers on notice that Carbon's days are numbered. I think they get it now. As most apps that matter are already on Cocoa, or will be shortly, it's not too much of a problem. The developers that haven't yet jumped will, once rez independence is here, and their competitors are taking advantage of it.
  • Reply 62 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Yes, please!

Snow Leopard may be MAINLY focused under the hood, but user-facing changes are always welcome too.

I'll be sorry to see the shiny blue scrollbars go, but I'll withhold judgement until I see the feel of the UI as a whole. Change is always jarring, but also fun!

Don't assume these change will be for the better. I'm frankly worried what Apple might do with the OS. I definitely do not want this marble theme as describe system wide.
  • Reply 63 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You've all been punked by Apple's clever ruse... the new UI features a hot-pink theme, with slide whistle sound effects.

I knew it!
  • Reply 64 of 122
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Steve's master plan is to bring this full circle and have Apple's neXT user interface, in monochromatic shades of grey.
  • Reply 65 of 122
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple hasn't made the definitive statement regarding PPC support so I guess anything goes here. Though I doubt we see PPC support and I do not recommend we see PPC support.

Breaking with legacy is difficult but I want a lean n mean OS that is optimized for the dominant hardware ISA and that's x86.

I like knowing that if an app in Snow Leopard only it's going to be strictly optimized for Intel based Macs.

You do realize that as soon as the majority of Apple users switch to Intel Macs, Apple will want to enlist AMD.
  • Reply 66 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

August: Snow Leopard and quad core imacs? I'd be happy :-)

You will never be happy if you look for happiness in technology
  • Reply 67 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

I would just HATE for them to remove the blue glass scroll bars and replace them with some ugly Linux style like they have in iTunes.

So what do I do? I dislike both the blue and the gray ones.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't assume these change will be for the better. I'm frankly worried what Apple might do with the OS. I definitely do not want this marble theme as describe system wide.

Given that the "marble" theme as described is only ever so slightly different from what we have now, could you be more specific about what's so horrible a about it?

Isn't the best way to go for any OS to try and get the GUI to fade into the background? How better to go about this than by sticking to muted greys and off-whites? How better than to implement a minimal, "no eye-candy" interface?

Other than the "black glass" overlays (which are neat, but come across as this year's version of the blue aqua buttons), I can't think of any direction other than the one they are moving in.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I keep reading, in articles and posts, that Apple isn't going to introduce new features with 10.6.

This isn't true. Nowhere did Apple say this.

Actually they did say this, in the original Snow Leopard press release: "... we hit the pause button on new features ..."

And Apple's Snow Leopard web page refers to "taking a break from adding new features".
  • Reply 70 of 122
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    I use multiple monitors a lot and one of the most frustrating things is the app menus in the MenuBar. So, please please please remove app menus from the MenuBar and put them in the app window in some fashion. I prefer right-click pop-up menus, but they could use the "gear" menu as seen in Safari 4 for Windows. They can go all out and use pop-up pie menus. That'll look cool.
  • Reply 71 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

I use multiple monitors a lot and one of the most frustrating things is the app menus in the MenuBar. So, please please please remove app menus from the MenuBar and put them in the app window in some fashion. I prefer right-click pop-up menus, but they could use the "gear" menu as seen in Safari 4 for Windows. They can go all out and use pop-up pie menus. That'll look cool.

Just out of curiosity, if they take the application's menus out of the menu bar, what will be left in the menu bar? I guess they could just eliminate it.

But we're talking about changing one of the elements of the user interface that has seen consistent treatment ever since the very first Macintosh. There would be plenty of resistance to that, and likely incompatibility with applications which don't expect to have to make space for their menus inside their window.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John Appleseed View Post

Actually they did say this, in the original Snow Leopard press release: "... we hit the pause button on new features ..."

And Apple's Snow Leopard web page refers to "taking a break from adding new features".

They probably don't mean literally, of course there will be new features, but not as much as before.
  • Reply 73 of 122
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Don't be so sure Apple won't release it then. I wouldn't be surprised if a very few of the largest developers have already seen it.

Even if they wrote Cocoa apps, changing the font and background colors could lead to poor legibility. I, for one, don't like the idea. Font size and weight could have to change among other things. It isn't a simple "Cocoa will take care of it".

Apple does what it thinks it needs to do. That doesn't mean that it "screwed over" developers.

I could go into countless times they screwed over the developers. I understand about the icons / fonts, but for a majority if they followed apple's human interface design guidelines there shouldn't be any problem.

Apple appears on the outside to help developers, when in reality they are just hurting themselves. For instance only providing coding headstarts and ADC on iTunes to developers willing to shell out $500 for a membership. That kind of stuff should be free so it promotes better development environments for the devs.

I'm sure a very few of the top companies HAVE seen it... i.e. adobe and such. But that doesn't help 99.99% of the developers out there. At the last WWDC SJ insinuated it would be out in about a year. Supposedly WWDC will be a little early this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was released during WWDC, or shortly after.
  • Reply 74 of 122
    Looks like they are taking inspiration from Adobe.
  • Reply 75 of 122
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

This is just a ridiculous statement. You obviously don't know much about the Mac UI at all.

It's the difference between an document centred UI (Windows) and an application centred UI (almost any Unix system and Macs). It's one of the main advantages of Macs in general and a central reason as to why the UI is easier to use than Windows.

To think that they should change the central differentiating factor of the OS so that it's like MS Windows, (which would break almost every application out there), just because people who use multiple monitors have a "hard time" with it is just nuts.
  • Reply 76 of 122
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Deleted.
  • Reply 77 of 122
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Apple appears on the outside to help developers, when in reality they are just hurting themselves. For instance only providing coding headstarts and ADC on iTunes to developers willing to shell out $500 for a membership. That kind of stuff should be free so it promotes better development environments for the devs.

Sometimes I wish Apple would just charge a bit for Xcode like say <$200 and build in support for development through ADC on iTunes. They could continue to ship a free version for those dabbling but the paid version would come with more features and iTunes ADC.

As for me I'm looking for to UI polish. Hell I want to use my services menu again but it's a GD nightmare.

I don't care if it's flat or marbly or whatever I want it functional.
  • Reply 78 of 122
    uniuni Posts: 12member
    Quote:

I keep reading, in articles and posts, that Apple isn't going to introduce new features with 10.6.

This isn't true. Nowhere did Apple say this.

WHen they announced SL I believe they did say quote "No new features."

On Apple's SL <a href = "http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/">page</a>; it says:

"Taking a break from adding new features, Snow Leopard ? scheduled to ship in about a year ? builds on Leopard?s" etc. The article then goes on to discuss the new features, Exchange support, QT X, etc.

It's pretty clear that they are going to add new features, but for right now they haven't embraced that as a selling point for the OS. They are embracing a partial code rewrite which will make a more solid OS.
  • Reply 79 of 122
    vitaflovitaflo Posts: 35member
    Flat is in. Bulbous glossy crap is out (see Win 7). They're going to go more towards iTunes and the Pro apps in style if I had to guess. This is a good thing.
  • Reply 80 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

They probably don't mean literally, of course there will be new features, but not as much as before.

Yeah, as stated earlier the "new features" will be under-the-hood stuff that isn't as marketable to end users as Time Machine or Spaces.