iTunes, Rendezvous, and CD burning

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Here's my theoretical situation. I have my current G4 DP 450 with my big collection of mp3s (or mp4s if Apple will add that functionality to iTunes) on it. I have a future rev TiBook (superdrive, 1Ghz+, DDR, pleeez?). Both run 10.2 and use Airport. Should I be able to burn CDs using my TiBook from the library on my G4? Currently I only have a DVD-RAM drive on the G4 and the CD burner I wanted (TDK VeloCD Firewire) was replaced with a USB2 model. I really don't want to have to buy a CD burner for my G4 when I could just use the TiBook, but finding the files and copying them and then burning sure would suck. Tell me I'm in luck.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    If Rendezvous gives you the abilty to broadcast your iTunes playlists to other Macs with Rendezvous, then i'd say chances are pretty good. but I'm not basing that on anything in particular, I haven't tried it and I don't know if it's possible for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by echidna_x:

<strong>Here's my theoretical situation. I have my current G4 DP 450 with my big collection of mp3s (or mp4s if Apple will add that functionality to iTunes) on it. I have a future rev TiBook (superdrive, 1Ghz+, DDR, pleeez?). Both run 10.2 and use Airport. Should I be able to burn CDs using my TiBook from the library on my G4? Currently I only have a DVD-RAM drive on the G4 and the CD burner I wanted (TDK VeloCD Firewire) was replaced with a USB2 model. I really don't want to have to buy a CD burner for my G4 when I could just use the TiBook, but finding the files and copying them and then burning sure would suck. Tell me I'm in luck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In theory this should be possible.

Right now I have all my music library being served off my linux box via NFS and am mounting it on my Mac OS X box. iTunes plays nicely with that setup.

With Rendezvous you will be able to easily do a similar setup. It will allow you to quickly gain access to you desktop box, like Appletalk. Now the only hitch I see is that via Airport will limit that data speed at which you can burn your CDs. But you should be able to do this.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If you're like me, when you get the new machine you'll just copy your old hard drive over to the new one. Or, at least, copy just the itunes library. Then open it up in itunes on your new machine. You'll want your music on your new machine anyway.

itunes won't use rendezvous for "6 to 9 months," and as bluejekyll said above, it may not stream the audio fast enough to burn.

You're making it too complex.

• Reply 4 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I don't think it's a matter of not being able to stream fast enough to burn. It's a matter of the non-permanent nature of the music. One second it's there, another it's not there. Don't count on the burn button being available to playlists available via Rendezvous. You probably won't even be able to copy the music...The RIAA might get on Apple's back...

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I don't think it's a matter of not being able to stream fast enough to burn. It's a matter of the non-permanent nature of the music. One second it's there, another it's not there. Don't count on the burn button being available to playlists available via Rendezvous. You probably won't even be able to copy the music...The RIAA might get on Apple's back...

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

exactly. you won't be able to burn through rendevous. steve made sure to mention the fact during his itunes demo that the music was being streamed, not copied. if you want copies of your mp3s on the 'book, just copy the damn files over.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I was trying to get around copying my music over... I have a 120 GB drive in my PowerMac, and I'm guessing my TiBook will have 60-80 GB tops. We're talking like 30 gigs of mp3s here (once I get done ripping everything). I want to use the TiBook for video and school only. If it comes down to it, I could always use my iPod to transfer the songs. (Thank God for Terminal.)