Apple selling 8GB memory upgrade kits for 15" MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Is that ECC memory, or non-ECC?

Non-ECC. Here is the link: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../8566DDR3S4GB/

Is there a performance hit between ECC and Non-ECC? I can say that there has been no reliability hit with this memory.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I have the Unibody 2.4 GHz and wondering the same thing! I thought the only difference was the processor speed and the 512 MB video card! I am not interested in getting the 8GB (not for $1200) but would like to know why it is only for the 2.66 GHz!

Here is the text from MacBook Pro specs:

2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) or 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

I second that question. I have the 2.4 as well.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    clixclix Posts: 10member
    Here is my idea of whats going on...

Since the last iMac update, iMac use the new C2D 2.66GHz cpu has standard and in this same update they've double the memory storage capacity to 8GB.

The same day, they quietly updated the macbook pro 15" to 2.66ghz and 2.93ghz.

And because iMac uses mobile technology used in the macbooks, we can easily conclude that only the 2.6ghz and higher will be able to benefit from the 8GB ram possibility in their macbook pros.

This means no 8GB support for 2.4ghz / 2.53ghz macbook pro. Sorry
  • Reply 24 of 79
    I presume they have some sort of module that gets installed beyond just the RAM sticks. That's unfortunate, 8GB would extend the life of the purchase, not something Apple wants obviously. They want a 3 year purchase cycle of new macs.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frjole View Post

They aren't. Those machines don't support 8 gigs of memory. Its pretty clear when you stop and think and realize that it would be listed as compatible if it was.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see no physical reason why the other systems can't hold 8GB.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) or 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

Specs aside, you can put up to 6 GB in the 2.4 machine.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    I was unsatisfied with the previous answer, because I felt that the sales guy was just quoting the tech specs, so I called the Apple Store again, and this time the sales person brought an engineer assistant (or something) on the line to talk with me.

The engineer told me that there was "a very good chance" that the 8GB RAM would work with the 2.53GHz because he was not aware of any major changes to the memory controller, but that Apple doesn't go back to test older systems.

So we're back to square one, I guess. Who wants to test it out on their 15" 2.53 GHz MBP?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Non-ECC. Here is the link: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../8566DDR3S4GB/

Is there a performance hit between ECC and Non-ECC? I can say that there has been no reliability hit with this memory.

I don't know too much about the difference between ECC and non-ECC, but there is a price difference and Apple only sells ECC memory. From what I've read about it, ECC isn't really important for average users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carcarius View Post

I presume they have some sort of module that gets installed beyond just the RAM sticks..

A kit just means it's two 4GB DIMMs; there is nothing else besides the RAM chips. This is universal language when talking about RAM upgrades (just look it up at any store), so Apple isn't being misleading or confusing here.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    It's normal for Apple to understate the amount of RAM their machine can use, so what they SAY means little. Cost too much to risk though, have to wait for someone like OWC or Macworld to test it out.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dude - thread upon thread have been posted about new MacBook Pro screen issues.

I have the flickering issue. I didn't have the issue until I sent my computer in to get a piece of dust that had fallen in between the glass and the screen (which looked like a dead pixel) removed. Talk about poetic justice.

W/e. I'll send the computer into Apple again when I have time. That'll be repair 2 out of 5. Once I hit 5 over lifetime... time for a free new computer baby .
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Quote:

They aren't. Those machines don't support 8 gigs of memory. Its pretty clear when you stop and think and realize that it would be listed as compatible if it was.

<grammarPolice>

It would also be more clear if it were.

Subjunctive my good sir.

</grammarPolice>
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

W/e. I'll send the computer into Apple again when I have time. That'll be repair 2 out of 5. Once I hit 5 over lifetime... time for a free new computer baby .

Wait, what? 5 repairs gets you a new computer? I had sent mine in (1st gen MacBook Pro) many more times than that (possibly more than double) and just recently got it exchanged for the unibody. Where does it state that 5 repairs gets you a new computer?
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Quote:

How come I can put 3GB of RAM in my MacBook that Apple said would only support 2GB.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Wonder why they don't also offer 8GB as a BTO option if you're buying a new laptop? Odd that it's only available as a DIY memory module purchase.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    [QUOTE=diskimage;1395036]

How come I can put 3GB of RAM in my MacBook that Apple said would only support 2GB.[/QUOTE

]

while their are chipset dependencies in a of cases you can put in the higher density chips and see the increased memory. I have an older MBP that said 2GB max that now has 4GB and works great.

I would tend to beleive the newer systems can handle the 4GB simms as they are the same physical specs. I also have the newer MBP and MB's.

Someone needs to get one of the 4GB cards and test for us before i shell out 400 for one of them!

NO screen flickers on any of them.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Guys, the kit is compatible with the 2.53GHz model according to Apple Store reps. Please see the update to the article. (May take a few minutes to sync to all our servers).

K
  • Reply 36 of 79
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Specs aside, you can put up to 6 GB in the 2.4 machine.

I am aware of that. You can get 6 GB of RAM from Macsales.com for $399. But I am interested to know what is the difference

Furthermore, I am still waiting for a 7200RPM 500GB HDD to be available. There is a Seagate model and you are lucky if you find it in stock.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    [QUOTE=alangsam;1395044]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

How come I can put 3GB of RAM in my MacBook that Apple said would only support 2GB.[/QUOTE

]

while their are chipset dependencies in a of cases you can put in the higher density chips and see the increased memory. I have an older MBP that said 2GB max that now has 4GB and works great.

I would tend to beleive the newer systems can handle the 4GB simms as they are the same physical specs. I also have the newer MBP and MB's.

Someone needs to get one of the 4GB cards and test for us before i shell out 400 for one of them!

NO screen flickers on any of them.

I think there was an article here on AI that mentioned testing on the unibody MB and MBP (excluding the 17") indicate that they can accept 6 GB RAM max and if you put 8 GB of RAM the system will only recognize 6 GB. I think it was sometime last Nov.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    But don't all the mac notebooks since october share the same architecture? I don't see any reason why any aluminum unibody mac made since last october can't have the same amount of ram, include the macbooks.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

$1200??? How can anyone justify this price?

By pointing out that the same RAM straight from Crucial costs $980.

4GB DDR3 SODIMM costs an arm and a leg (DDR2 SODIMM is slightly cheaper at $680)
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

A kit just means it's two 4GB DIMMs; there is nothing else besides the RAM chips. This is universal language when talking about RAM upgrades (just look it up at any store), so Apple isn't being misleading or confusing here.

Why call it a kit and just say, "Oh, by the way, the MBP 2.66 and 2.93 CPU systems support up to 8GB RAM." Is this so hard?

Why buy Apple's "kit" when it is always more expensive and not necessarily the highest quality? Yeah, it is a sales tactic, but sorry it *IS* misleading when they understate their machine's capabilities. Just tell your potential consumers what you support and let them decide what to do next.

I am happy about the fact that the 2.66 and 2.93 will support 8GB, since I plan to buy one within the next few months and the RAM capacity was something that concerned me. I would have kept waiting if the 15" couldn't support 8GB.