Apple Worldwide Developers Conference set for June 8-12

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple announced Thursday that its annual developers conference will kick-off on Monday June 8th and run through the 12th at the Moscone West convention center in downtown San Francisco.

Tickets for 5-day event will run $1295 through April 24th, at which time Apple plans to increase the price by $300.

Snow Leopard at WWDC

Apple is expected to use this year's conference to show off a feature-complete version of its Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system, possibly unveiling an updated interface theme if it does not do so in developer builds that arrive in the weeks leading up to the conference.

The primary focus for developers is Snow Leopard's new 64-bit kernel with enhanced support for multicore and GPU computing. Apple is also drawing developers' attention to QuickTime X as a streamlined media playback system.

Specific sessions will target how to get the most from Apple's developer tools in terms of performance and efficiency, how to debug and analyze applications as they run with Dtrace, how to build solid user interfaces, and how to port existing code from other platforms to the Mac.

In depth sessions will focus on how to get the most from Apple's frameworks, including high performance graphics accelerated in GPU hardware and how to leverage OpenCL and Grand Central to get the most from multicore systems with powerful graphics processors.

WWDC will also present how to use open web standards to take full advantage of new technologies in HTML 5, including client-side storage, audio and video playback, CSS vector animations, transitions, transforms, form control styling, CSS3 downloadable fonts, and other emerging features.

iPhone at WWDC

The iPhone platform will also serve as a major component of WWDC, with sessions and hands-on labs covering the new iPhone 3.0 SDK. Information how to to implement the new 3.0 features, including peer to peer Bluetooth, interaction with hardware accessories, in-app purchases, and the new Apple Push Notification service, will be presented, along with details on best practices for building mobile apps with an engaging user interface that takes full advantage of the iPhone's rich media and graphics features, and how to localize apps to reach a global audience.

The event may likely also serve as the introduction of new iPhone hardware, as Apple has long been expected to release a significantly new iPhone version in mid June.

IT at WWDC

Apple also maintains an information technologies track at WWDC. This year, attention is being placed on how to use Snow Leopard Server to deploy collaboration features such as the new iPhone-optimized wiki features, enhanced new Podcast Producer capabilities, new standards-based services for exchanging calendar events and meeting request and shared contact records.

There's also new information on how to use the iPhone in large organizations, both with push notifications and the new Mobile Access Server, as well as tools to integrate the iPhone into existing corporate infrastructure from Exchange Server to 802.1x wireless authentication.

WWDC for students

WWDC will host a Student Career Fair, offering the opportunity to meet hiring managers from around the world. Apple is also offering free passes to WWDC as part of its student scholarship program for ADC Student Members and student Team Members in the iPhone Developer University Program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Jobs

to make a re-entrance on the Apple Stage ?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by htoelle View Post

Jobs

I'm really curious about this. I almost think that he will just walk up on stage at the beginning and welcome everyone, but Phil will deliver the keynote.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Jobs

I'd bet money that Jobs plans on delivering the keynote. The iPhone is his baby and Apple's dominate money maker at this point (if you don't use adjusted profits).
  • Reply 4 of 44
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    iPhone 3.0. New iPhone hardware. Possible Jobs return. Snow Leopard. Possible tablet. Enough to fuel speculation and drive the stock back where I'd like to see it...
  • Reply 5 of 44
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPhone is his baby and Apple's dominate money maker at this point (if you don't use adjusted profits).

And is the iPod Touch his step-child and the new Shuffle his bastard, unholy love child?
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:

Jobs

to the music of The Rutles? "All You Need is Cash"
  • Reply 7 of 44
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And is the iPod Touch his step-child and the new Shuffle his bastard, unholy love child?

its well documented SJ already has a bastard love child
  • Reply 8 of 44
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

its well documented SJ already has…

Nice. Real nice.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Wow the site is getting hammered... has me worried slightly. Anyone know how quickly it sold out last year??

thanks,
  • Reply 10 of 44
    http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/16640

Interestingly, despite Apple's closer ties with nVidia and AppleInsider's many articles on the Apple-nVidia relationship, it's ATI that seems to have come up with the first application for OpenCL. ATI has co-operated with Havok (owned by Intel) and gotten it hardware accelerated through OpenCL. Presumably this should allow Havok Physics acceleration on ATI, nVidia, Intel (no doubt Larrabee and maybe Westmere IGPs), PowerVR (ie. next-gen iPhone), and any other GPU that supports OpenCL, which is much more open than nVidia's PhysX acceleration implemented in their proprietary C for CUDA language.

Hopefully, Apple will bring out ATI and Havok physics as a demo for OpenCL and Snow Leopard at WWDC using the HD4850 in the new iMac and HD4870 in the new Mac Pro. nVidia probably wouldn't be too happy about that.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmm....... Just got the email from Apple encouraging me to buy my tickets now. The image is an iPhone with letters where the apps would be spelling out "Make Your Mark Here."

Probably can't read too much into that, but I wonder how much of this WWDC will be about the iPhone, and how much about Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

its well documented SJ already has a bastard love child

True, but she's not unholy -the new shuffle actually speaks to you in tongues.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    As much as I would rather have him surprise and come unveil it -- my prediction is that he isn't present but still comes back at the end of June, documeted by a quiet PR statement about that fact.

Their effort to detach Steve from the perceived viability of the company has been effective so far, but maybe they need to do it again to break the notion that he's supposed to do the WWDC keynote - or at least, the keynote for his latest baby-superstar product.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    This was the first thing I thought of too when I saw this. However, the full six months are not up and it is certain the speculation over who will be giving the keynote will immediately go into full swing.

Apple should nail this immediately. Tell who is delivering the keynote and be done with. The upside is that yet again Apple is seen to have the skilled personnel to do this and is not so reliant on Jobs. This whole "Apple is Jobs" needs to be quashed and no better way to do it than keep him away. If he comes back it is perceived to be sooner than was necessary and that Apple just cannot live without him. We know different of course, but Apple should emphasise it.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    sirromsirrom Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

As much as I would rather have him surprise and come unveil it -- my prediction is that he isn't present but still comes back at the end of June, documeted by a quiet PR statement about that fact.

Their effort to detach Steve from the perceived viability of the company has been effective so far, but maybe they need to do it again to break the notion that he's supposed to do the WWDC keynote - or at least, the keynote for his latest baby-superstar product.

I agree. I see this WWDC being co-keynoted by several headliners, but not Steve.

I expect a full showing of Snow Leopard with a release date in late August/early September. I also expect a showing of the iPhone 3.0 hardware then, if it hasn't been announced at a special event beforehand. Unfortunately, the new iPhone will not be released until end of June/early July. It's availability will be announced on that day (in June/July) by Steve in a memo to the world about the iPhone and his return to Apple on a daily basis. This will create a press situation linking the new iPhone and his return in EVERY comment/blog/news article about either of those things for a couple of weeks at least.

Lastly, I expect Apple to make the new 3.0 OS software available about a week before the new hardware to help build the buzz. I think the reason they did not do this last year was the new hardware was not sufficiently differentiated to prevent some potential buyers from just staying with their first gen iPhone. This year, the new hardware will have some very compelling features that will make it difficult for people to choose not to upgrade. The new OS software a week before will be just a tease, especially when you know the owners of the new hardware will be able to do things you can't.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

iPhone 3.0. New iPhone hardware. Possible Jobs return. Snow Leopard. Possible tablet. Enough to fuel speculation and drive the stock back where I'd like to see it...

The WWDC is rarely the forum for major hardware announcements, especially consumer ones.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The WWDC is rarely the forum for major hardware announcements, especially consumer ones.

last year Steve announced the 3g at WWDC.

That's pretty much all he did last year too, announce the phone, and hand the rest over to Phil
  • Reply 18 of 44
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

last year Steve announced the 3g at WWDC.

That's pretty much all he did last year too, announce the phone, and hand the rest over to Phil

And the Mac Pro was announced at WWDC as well.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

While you may be right, If Steve's health has improved enough for him to do so I think he will.

The original iPhone buyers will have their 2 year contracts expire in June. I really would be shocked if Apple don't have a new iPhone ready in June. They may do a special event to show it but WWDC is conveniently planned that month as well. I really think the 3rd gen iPhone will be quite a bit different than the first two which are pretty similar. I think it'll have *new* features that will help blunt the excitement of the competition (Pre anybody). I think it will also try to send the competition back to the drawing board. I would be surprised if its just a slightly faster version of what already exists.

The iPhone is Steve's baby. I look for him to present any significant changes.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    I wonder if they will be doing another early upgrade price like they did the first time around with the iPhone. I doubt it because the reason they were able to do that the first go round is the people who had iPhones paid full price for their phones, so at&t was able to subsidize the 3g model and tie them up for another 2 years. I think this time around, you won't be able to upgrade until you reach your 2 year mark, which will be on launch day next year for me.