Apple Worldwide Developers Conference set for June 8-12

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 44
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    iPhone 3.0. New iPhone hardware. Possible Jobs return. Snow Leopard. Possible tablet. Enough to fuel speculation and drive the stock back where I'd like to see it...



    What does good news, new products, great sales, high customer satisfaction, higher customer loyalty, record profits and Steve Jobs in good health have to do anything with driving the price of Apple stock higher?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post


    As much as I would rather have him surprise and come unveil it -- my prediction is that he isn't present but still comes back at the end of June, documeted by a quiet PR statement about that fact.



    Their effort to detach Steve from the perceived viability of the company has been effective so far, but maybe they need to do it again to break the notion that he's supposed to do the WWDC keynote - or at least, the keynote for his latest baby-superstar product.



    Phil will intro. Then he and Bertrand will intro and demo Snow Leopard, and announce the approximate ship date (before end of September). Then Scott will recap iPhone OS 3.0 and demo some new third party apps, and announce the approximate ship date (end of June). Then Phil will intro the new iPhone and demo some of its capabilities. Finally, if the new iPhone has a front-facing camera and iChat video, Phil and Greg will call each other up and crack some joke about not having seen Steve for awhile. Then they will call Steve via iChat. Steve will announce the ship date (either June 26 or July 10) and thank all the Apple staff for their hard work. Phil will recap. Somebody will sing. End of keynote.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post


    I wonder if they will be doing another early upgrade price like they did the first time around with the iPhone. I doubt it because the reason they were able to do that the first go round is the people who had iPhones paid full price for their phones, so at&t was able to subsidize the 3g model and tie them up for another 2 years. I think this time around, you won't be able to upgrade until you reach your 2 year mark, which will be on launch day next year for me.



    That is something to think about. I do think that Apple wants to get people in the habit of updating their phone yearly, so I think they will work with carriers to allow you to update to a new iPhone with a new 24 month contract at little to no upgrade fee for a limited time frame. My reasoning is that a happy consumer is one that will stay and the iPhone seems to be making a lot more consumers happy than other phone hardware. Plus, once you get closer to 2 years the harder it is to keep you from jumping ship since the cancelation fee is low.



    I'd like to hear some ideas about what you think Apple and AT&T will do to get more people on the iPhone. If it's $50 to cancel your contract after you've had it for a year I don't think many would not do that.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That is something to think about. I do think that Apple wants to get people in the habit of updating their phone yearly, so I think they will work with carriers to allow you to update to a new iPhone with a new 24 month contract at little to no upgrade fee for a limited time frame. My reasoning is that a happy consumer is one that will stay and the iPhone seems to be making a lot more consumers happy than other phone hardware. Plus, once you get closer to 2 years the harder it is to keep you from jumping ship since the cancelation fee is low.



    I'd like to hear some ideas about what you think Apple and AT&T will do to get more people on the iPhone. If it's $50 to cancel your contract after you've had it for a year I don't think many would not do that.



    I think that's a bit too optimistic. At best, I think AT&T will offer iPhone 3G owners the "new contract" price of $199/$299 for two more years, instead of insisting on its policy of an early upgrade price of $399/$499.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post


    I think that's a bit too optimistic. At best, I think AT&T will offer iPhone 3G owners the "new contract" price of $199/$299 for two more years, instead of insisting on its policy of an early upgrade price of $399/$499.



    Huh? Your scenario is more optimistic than mine as it means that AT&T doesn't charge you anything to cancel your contract before writing up a new one.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    OMG OMG OMG!



    they're gonna make the phone icon PURPLE and the safari icon GREEN!!!!

    i'm pulling out my wallet right NOW to git1.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    "Make your mark" sounds more like touch screen, like full touch screen monitors! OS could have an iphone-y UI. They save money not shipping mice and no longer need mice support and no one can complain their "device" isn't working. Then they can reduce the already-reduced keyboard to nothing. I'm sure Apple makes tons of $ from making everything smaller and "less", the lcd is the next in line!
  • Reply 28 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,866member
    Lots of speculation here about a new iPhone. Obviously it is coming but I'm not sure it will be WWDC. It could come before or after as it is nothing more than an upgrade.



    What I'm expecting is something completely new. I'm suspecting it will be a large Video iPod / tablet / Newton 2. In other words another member of the iPod Touch family. However there seams to be steam building towards a clam shell device / netbook / pocket computer. Either way I just don't see a modest iPhone upgrade taking center stage at WWDC this year. If any hardware is introduced it will be something we haven't seen before.







    Dave
  • Reply 29 of 44
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,304member
    http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/mac/



    Clearly, QuickTime X is more than just a playback mechanism.



    Nice to see nothing of Carbon, all of AppKit, Foundation Kit, ObjC and Cocoa.



    It only took 11 years for this statement to arrive:



    Quote:

    Cocoa is Apple's collection of frameworks, APIs, and accompanying runtimes that make up the development layer of Mac OS X.



    Bravo! Finally moving forward.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Hmmm....... Just got the email from Apple encouraging me to buy my tickets now. The image is an iPhone with letters where the apps would be spelling out "Make Your Mark Here."



    Probably can't read too much into that, but I wonder how much of this WWDC will be about the iPhone, and how much about Snow Leopard?



    Duh. Just looked at the actual article instead of the forum version and saw that that image was included.



    Um, well, my email had a secret extra part that made me faint from excitement! And I won't tell you what it is, except to say "Everybody better brush up on their Etruscan history!" I've already said too much!
  • Reply 31 of 44
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post


    As much as I would rather have him surprise and come unveil it -- my prediction is that he isn't present but still comes back at the end of June, documeted by a quiet PR statement about that fact.



    Their effort to detach Steve from the perceived viability of the company has been effective so far, but maybe they need to do it again to break the notion that he's supposed to do the WWDC keynote - or at least, the keynote for his latest baby-superstar product.



    I think it depends on what's announced.



    If the "second" iPhone and ipod touch are just slightly differentiated versions of the same thing then I think not. If they are instead the much rumoured tablet then I think he will.



    If Apple comes out with a tablet version of the iPhone it's going to be a really, really big deal. Almost as big as the original iPhone. It may also be the very last truly different and innovative product from Apple in a long while, perhaps ever.



    I would think if that's true, that Steve will have a hard time sitting it out. It would be like a pro baseball player sitting out the last world series he was going to be in on a technicality, or just to be polite to some other player.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by htoelle View Post


    Jobs



    to make a re-entrance on the Apple Stage ?



    If he looks the same or worse than he did before he took time off, he should let others do the presentations. He needs to focus on taking care of himself and his family.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    iPhone 3.0. New iPhone hardware. Possible Jobs return. Snow Leopard. Possible tablet. Enough to fuel speculation and drive the stock back where I'd like to see it...



    Don't expect AAPL to hit $200 anytime soon in this market, no matter what happens at WWDC.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    lets get sj to build multiple iphones of various sizes up to 250 gig with a minimum configuration of 4 with every variant to satisfy the throngs of tech users and stop spoon feeding us with micro updates and upgrades.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    ivladivlad Posts: 740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by htoelle View Post


    Jobs



    to make a re-entrance on the Apple Stage ?



    Who cares, as long as he's healthy and doing fine. People need to weight more of a person than just apple products.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,671member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    iPhone 3.0. New iPhone hardware. Possible Jobs return. Snow Leopard. Possible tablet. Enough to fuel speculation and drive the stock back where I'd like to see it...



    No tablet until CES 2010.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    sj is doing well with a program to lower his estrogen levels. the reduction of hormone levels has even caused some weight increase. detoxification through diet and exercise is gradually making improvements. the chance of a brief intro by sj may come true. so I understand.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    While you may be right, If Steve's health has improved enough for him to do so I think he will.



    The original iPhone buyers will have their 2 year contracts expire in June. I really would be shocked if Apple don't have a new iPhone ready in June. They may do a special event to show it but WWDC is conveniently planned that month as well. I really think the 3rd gen iPhone will be quite a bit different than the first two which are pretty similar. I think it'll have *new* features that will help blunt the excitement of the competition (Pre anybody). I think it will also try to send the competition back to the drawing board. I would be surprised if its just a slightly faster version of what already exists.



    The iPhone is Steve's baby. I look for him to present any significant changes.



    Maybe we will see not only new hardware but the opening of the iphone to a new carrier (Verizon) as has been speculated? How can Apple ignore this HUGE new cash flow.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Duh. Just looked at the actual article instead of the forum version and saw that that image was included.



    Um, well, my email had a secret extra part that made me faint from excitement! And I won't tell you what it is, except to say "Everybody better brush up on their Etruscan history!" I've already said too much!



    Weren't the Etruscans known for burning books. What could that possibly have to do

    with Apple? Or is it that they wrote on tablets? Apple doesn't make a tablet, so that

    can't be it.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    You know that picture of the iphone could be the new one for all we know. I remember a while back they had a picture of a aluminum casing. that could be the kind of change they real;ly are doing to it in addition of 3.0 along with an upgraded 3G
Sign In or Register to comment.