Microsoft to attack Mac pricing in new series of TV ads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 330
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True enough, but I'm kind of amazed that MS actually thinks they need to attack Apple directly, from any angle. It's as much as saying "Apple worries us, we think they're our main competitor, so we're going to go after them." For a company with the overwhelming market-share lead that MS enjoys, this strikes me as an expression of weakness, petty, a ringing endorsement of Apple's prospects, or all three.

Sure, Apple has been running its "Mac vs. PC" ads forever, but, one, Apple is the underdog and can get away with taking pot shots at the incumbent, two, Apple never mentions MS by name, contenting themselves with tweaking the whole idea of the PC, and three, they do it humorously.

Isn't there some kind of rule in advertising that you never mention your competitor by name, because it makes you look harsh and gives your competitor free publicity?

We've been hearing from people that Apple is irrelevant to Microsoft and Microsoft has 95% of the market, guess they must be feeling heat from Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 330
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

We've been hearing from people that Apple is irrelevant to Microsoft and Microsoft has 95% of the market, guess they must be feeling heat from Apple.

Yeah, that would actually be the smart move: "Apple has them a nice little boutique business over there and we wish them all the best. Now here's what we're doing with all our money and market share."

Instead, we get the strangely bitter line about not being cool enough to be a Mac person. Could monkey boy be taking it personally?
  • Reply 43 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

LOL, i just watched the ad.

It actually makes people want to buy a Mac lol.

"I guess i'm not cool enough to be a Mac person" .. oh dear

Yeah, lets advertise being cheap! Sure the economy is not doing so well, but given Apple's sales results, people still want good, reliable computers nonetheless.

I agree, it shows that she really wants a mac but since she can't afford one, she has to settle for something cheaper. I guess that's what Microsoft wants to associate themselves with, cheap. This may actually help Apple, if people want the real thing you you go with Macs, if you want fakes, you go with PC's.
  • Reply 44 of 330
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple will drop their price$ - YAY!!!!!!!

I agree! Apple may respond by offering more for their price. Hopefully this time without all the glitches with the displays and/or video chips.
  • Reply 45 of 330
    Firstly, I am neither a Mac nor a PC guy... I use computers to get my job done. At the moment I use a Mac with Leopard plus WinXP in Parallels. Perhaps in 5 years it will be a Windows only box or an operating system that doesn't even exist yet. Who knows.

Therefore I think when a company starts to compete only on price they already admitted defeat.

I really feel sorry for all those poor people going out spending their hard earned cash on a $699 laptop they selected because of price, only to find out not long after that it a) might not do what they need it to do and b) they need to spend more money to get all the right software.

The number of people I know that haven fallen in this trap already is mind boggling and it breaks my heart every time.
  • Reply 46 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I agree! Apple may respond by offering more for their price. Hopefully this time without all the glitches with the displays and/or video chips.

Not very likely. Apple positioned themselves very differently in the market. Their value proposition is completely different. Quite frankly I don't think they are even interested in the "$699 laptop customer" featured in the ad.
  • Reply 47 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

More free advertising for Apple! Thanks, PC!

Same goes for Apple ads!

Remember Microsoft has over 89% of the market. Windows 7 will bring them back over 90%.

I am switching back to Windows when Windows 7 comes out.

I have had my fair share of Mac issues!

• Reply 48 of 330
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Funny thing about this ad is, I don't think MOST people that buy a Mac are price sensitive. They are going to pay what it is.. If they wanted a POS cheap computer they would just buy a Windows based one.
  • Reply 49 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

It's not that they are just now more expensive, it's that the speed/ram/hd is not spec'd like other laptops. And for the price they are charging they should be.

The days of selling computers on speed/ram/hard drive are over. Heck even the Mac Mini is good for most people. For example I recently took my mom to the Apple store and the first question they asked us wasn't how much ram, hard drive, or processor we need but what ow were we looking to do with the computer, what software we need, this is how computers are being sold and not specs. When you go to the Apple store, they put more emphasis on software instead of specs. The days of buying on specs is coming to an end. Most computers available are fast enough for the majority of people.
  • Reply 50 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Same goes for Apple ads!

Remember Microsoft has over 89% of the market. Windows 7 will bring them back over 90%.

I am switching back to Windows when Windows 7 comes out.

I have had my fair share of Mac issues!

Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for putting out that disaster Vista, did you see the satisfaction rates posted for Vista, what a disgrace.
  • Reply 51 of 330
    Kia is announcing a campaign attacking the prices of BMW...
  • Reply 52 of 330
    Im watching the sweet 16 and they just showed this.
  • Reply 53 of 330
    gdggdg Posts: 1member
    Great marketing idea. I am now awaiting the marketing pros at Hyundai, Kia etc. to start taking the same approach and convince the on-the-fence BMW and Mercedes buyers to purchase their cheaper alternatives. After all, they will also get you from point A to point B.

Price is important, but not the only issue for the discriminating buyer.
  • Reply 54 of 330
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The days of selling computers on speed/ram/hard drive are over. Heck even the Mac Mini is good for most people. For example I recently took my mom to the Apple store and the first question they asked us wasn't how much ram, hard drive, or processor we need but what ow were we looking to do with the computer, what software we need, this is how computers are being sold and not specs. When you go to the Apple store, they put more emphasis on software instead of specs. The days of buying on specs is coming to an end. Most computers available are fast enough for the majority of people.

Exactly. People are starting to have their whole life in their computers. Family pictures, movies, music, financial data.. etc. Personally, I wouldn't trust a $600 computer with my files. I already lost enough data from my older Windows PCs due to HDD failures caused by Windows hibernation and other cheap HW issues. At least with Mac and TC I don't have to worry about backup anymore.
  • Reply 55 of 330
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Apparently the woman isn't EVEN a real shopper necessarily but actually an actress.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/200...-microsoft-ads

(Not that actresses can't shop, but...)

No way! MS uses actors instead of real people in their ads! Shame on them. They should do like Apple does and use people they find on the street!
  • Reply 56 of 330
    Quote:

Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for putting out that disaster Vista, did you see the satisfaction rates posted for Vista, what a disgrace.

I used Vista for over 1.5 yrs. Had little problems.

I have been using Mac OS 10.5.x since August have had my fair share of issues.

They both need to be improved!
  • Reply 57 of 330
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I don't think the new MS add is very good but its *a whole lot better* than this one.
  • Reply 58 of 330
    I've seen that $699 HP she went with.

The plastics feel like they are straight from Fisher Price and those geniuses over at HP made the keyboard almost impossible to read. Light gray lettering on slightly darker "Bronze" keys. And don't get me started of the number of problems those HPs having with the hinges failing, the plastic separates at the hinge. (NOT covered by the warranty BTW) The Service shop I work at sends at least 4 of these a week for service on failed Wireless cards too.
  • Reply 59 of 330
    surursurur Posts: 23member
    Remember people, Apple notebook sales are dropping while Windows notebook sales are increasing.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...soft_oems.html

Microsoft is in fact kicking Apple while they are down.

When is this depression set to end again - 5 years time?

Maybe now is the wrong time to be a premium brand.
  • Reply 60 of 330
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I used Vista for over 1.5 yrs. Had little problems.

I have been using Mac OS 10.5.x since August have had my fair share of issues.

They both need to be improved!

Looking at those satisfaction rates for Vista, I would say you are in the minority for Vista users.