Apple selling 8GB memory upgrade kits for 15" MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Well, the article update says it will "definitely" work in the 2.53 GHz ? and if that's the case, WOO! But it doesn't totally jibe with the answer I got from Apple myself, so I'm a little skeptical.

I was going to wait for prices to fall (and I bought it resigned to the idea that I would only be able to have 4GB in it anyway), so it's really not a big deal, but it would be nice to know for certain I could upgrade my RAM and add another couple of years of life into my MBP.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carcarius

Why call it a kit and just say, "Oh, by the way, the MBP 2.66 and 2.93 CPU systems support up to 8GB RAM." Is this so hard?

2 RAM chips sold together are always called kits. It is an industry-wide ("universal") term.

Be my guest and backpedal and now say it's "misleading" that they haven't updated the MBP's tech spec page to say it supports 8GB yet ? not about the fact that they used the word "kit" ? but the word "kit" is not misleading; you're just ignorant.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

$1200??? How can anyone justify this price? Oh wait, it's an Apple forum.

Wait 3 months and buy it from NOT apple and it will cost $200.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This is nice and all, but who here was actually going to spend at least $980 just to upgrage their RAM from 4 to 8GB?
  • Reply 44 of 79
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Other World Computing has the 4 GB SIMM for $370, works great, I have it next to my 2GB stock SIMM. A slight performance hit with the mis-matched pair, but the extra memory more than compensates.

The only reason I could see to purchase the Apple memory is for warranty reasons. Make sure you save your original memory if you need to send the unit into the repair depot, they insist on having it sent back stock.

Probably because they're selling you 4 *MB* SIMMs relabeled as 4 GB. SIMMs are so 1980s!
  • Reply 45 of 79
    [QUOTE=NasserAE;1395048]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alangsam View Post

I think there was an article here on AI that mentioned testing on the unibody MB and MBP (excluding the 17") indicate that they can accept 6 GB RAM max and if you put 8 GB of RAM the system will only recognize 6 GB. I think it was sometime last Nov.

When those models were first released some numbnuts over at macrumors got their grubby little paws on some 4gb dimms and tested it. 6gb 2+4 worked fine but when you put in 8 4+4 the system could see it but not use it and then would run really slow and have a crash. Badly. So there must have been some other upgrade when they bumped the processor.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is nice and all, but who here was actually going to spend at least $980 just to foible their RAM from 4 to 8GB?

"Foible"? Foible is a noun; it means "a flaw." What?

But I get what you're trying to say, and no, I'm not going to spend $1000 to double my MBP's RAM ? but I'd be happy to know that when 4GB RAM chips go way down in a year or two, I'll have that option.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is nice and all, but who here was actually going to spend at least $980 just to foible their RAM from 4 to 8GB?

I just about fell off my seat when I saw the 4GB prices to upgrade the iMac (or anything else) to 8GB. Kingston & Crucial are a little cheaper (from their website) but nonetheless, that's a serious chunk of change. For that price, I'll get more bang from my buck by just getting a second monitor and wait (a while) for memory prices to come back down.

It would be nice if they could somehow have implemented a four-slot design so that we could just use 2GB modules but I realize space would be an issue.

Ouch!
  • Reply 48 of 79
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    only idiots buy their ram at apple anyway
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Here's some more coverage on this:

Gizmodo:

http://tinyurl.com/clqc3c

Macrumors:

http://tinyurl.com/4qjq2c

Maybe 10.5.7 will patch software limitations with addressing 8GB??? We'll see.
  • Reply 50 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

"Foible"? Foible is a noun; it means "a flaw." What?

Weird iPhone spelling correction. That is a new word for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It would be nice if they could somehow have implemented a four-slot design so that we could just use 2GB modules but I realize space would be an issue.

I don't think it's possible. The only notebooks I've seen with more than 2 slots for notebook-grade RAM are large gaming notebooks that are using desktop-grade CPUs.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    Who is that standing behind you?
  • Reply 52 of 79
    Quote:

2 RAM chips sold together are always called kits. It is an industry-wide ("universal") term.

Be my guest and backpedal and now say it's "misleading" that they haven't updated the MBP's tech spec page to say it supports 8GB yet ? not about the fact that they used the word "kit" ? but the word "kit" is not misleading; you're just ignorant.

You never understood my post. Try reading between the lines. A "kit" is a marketing term for selling a "bundle" of a computer product. No fooling, great, I am glad you know the definition.

My point is, who cares about the industry term that is used? I want to know how much RAM the MBP 15" supports just like ANYONE else. Apple could just state this up front and save anyone the trouble of questioning the MBP's capabilities. The sales and marketing tactics are silly.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

W/e. I'll send the computer into Apple again when I have time. That'll be repair 2 out of 5. Once I hit 5 over lifetime... time for a free new computer baby .

I'm on my 5th display repair for my early 2007 MBP and the manager said "we don't do replacements for environmental issues" The problems I've had are 2x dust, 1x uneven backlight, and 1x flickering.

That's on top of the 2 keyboard replacements, 2 batteries, motherboard, fan assembly, keyboard assembly, and wrist rest/trackpad ( because too many repairs had warped the case).

So this is not a hard and fast rule.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

$1200??? How can anyone justify this price? Oh wait, it's an Apple forum.

whippersnappers.... I remember paying $10,000 for a 40 MB hard disk in the 80's
  • Reply 55 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

whippersnappers.... I remember paying $10,000 for a 40 MB hard disk in the 80's

I bet at the time, you were thinking, "MAN, I'm never gonna fill up this thing! Who could possibly need 40 MEGABYTES OF SPACE?!"
  • Reply 56 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I just about fell off my seat when I saw the 4GB prices to upgrade the iMac (or anything else) to 8GB. Kingston & Crucial are a little cheaper (from their website) but nonetheless, that's a serious chunk of change. For that price, I'll get more bang from my buck by just getting a second monitor and wait (a while) for memory prices to come back down.

Ouch!

Its a chicken and egg situation the RAM vendors will need to sell it cheaper to get the volume up. But because of stupid 32bit cheap crappy windows boxes we will not enjoy the cheaper prices like with the intel transition.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33tpmp View Post

At $1200 for the 8GB upgrade, the 17" Pro with 8GB is a better deal.

Very good point. If you don't mind the extra weight, the money you'd save by just buying the 17" would be awesome, not to mention the better battery and the larger screen real estate and resolution.

Edit: I mean with the $200 discount on the ram, and considering the 17" is $2,799 vs. $2,499 for the 15", the extra 100 bucks is a small price to pay for the upgrades mentioned above. Of course this only matters if you're planning on getting 8GB no matter which computer you purchase.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    I remember watching a contractor tech come around and crack open our corporate SEs to install 2 megabytes of RAM in them. You lost two 256kb sticks, so it totaled out to 2.5mb of RAM per CPU. The price label was right on the package: $970 to more than double your RAM. That was in 1990 dollars.

Later we found accelerator+video cards with a Moto 25MHz 68030 (same as a IIci) and a full-page portrait grayscale monitor for about $1500, and you could drag back and forth between the little Mac 9" screen and the big one. Ran circles around SE30s people used to drool over.

$1200 to double your RAM to 8Gb doesn't seem like so much if you really need it. (Most probably don't... I don't. I got a Mac Pro for that.)

That's right, PC lovers, we were running PageMaker and Illustrator in 2.5mb of RAM and multiple monitors on a networked "toy computer" when the IBM PCs with DOS 3.0 were using about 128kb and running PFSWrite and PFSFile.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Is that ECC memory, or non-ECC?

I agree, though; Apple's mark-up is really for the warranty. I'm just tired of asshats complaining about Apple's pricing as if it's something shocking or new.

Why do people say the Apple memory is expensive because of the warranty? 1-3 years tops??

Other memory vendors offer the same memory at less money with a lifetime warranty.

Steve
  • Reply 60 of 79
    i have a 15" 2.53Ghz MBP with 4gb RAM so heres the trick.....

Wait 3 or 4 months then buy a mac mini + 8gb of DDR3 3rd party Ram when someone else tests it and a 500Gb hard drive......

take the 4 gb out of my MBP and install in the mini along with the hard drive..

make my MBP 8Gb

Happy Days......