Apple developing 'stealth' biometric security for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Considering that we are now living in a police state (The US anyway) where your laptop can be seized at the border as well as your cellphone (and by border we actually mean anywhere within 100 miles of the border according to the PATRIOT Act), we're getting to the point where we need some very serious lockdown security measures that the government folks can't bypass. Every additional security feature Apple can implement to thwart our devices from being compromised, even by people who have serious tech, is a good thing.

I don't carry around sensitive trade secrets, multi-million dollar patent information, or secure database information, but I know there are people out there that do, and need to make sure the Feds, or anyone else for that matter can not under any circumstances compromise that data.

One thing I'd love to see implemented is a panic setting whereby someone in a crisis situation can entirely erase data securely right then and there. Having been a prior military contractor, I know of several instances where this would have been an amazing feature to have.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

They should tie this into DRM. Tie purchases to a biometric signature and whammo, your software and media are safely yours and yours alone. No matter which machine you went to (iPhone, Macbook, AppleTV), all you would have to do is authenticate your DNA (maybe a blood sample, maybe an oral swab) and you can watch your movies, listen to your music, and run your apps. ;-)

You're actually suggesting that I should have to give a blood sample every time I wanted to use my computer? That's a little extreme, isn't it? I think I'll stick with a password.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Great idea for those that need the extra security, but there are a number of situations where I would want anyone/everyone to be able to use my phone.

Example: Emergencies

I'm guessing they would make an emergency button so the phone could call 911?
  • Reply 24 of 51
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I love the part about "ear recognition"!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

They should tie this into DRM. Tie purchases to a biometric signature and whammo, your software and media are safely yours and yours alone. No matter which machine you went to (iPhone, Macbook, AppleTV), all you would have to do is authenticate your DNA (maybe a blood sample, maybe an oral swab) and you can watch your movies, listen to your music, and run your apps. ;-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

Considering that we are now living in a police state (The US anyway) where your laptop can be seized at the border as well as your cellphone (and by border we actually mean anywhere within 100 miles of the border according to the PATRIOT Act), we're getting to the point where we need some very serious lockdown security measures that the government folks can't bypass. Every additional security feature Apple can implement to thwart our devices from being compromised, even by people who have serious tech, is a good thing.

I don't carry around sensitive trade secrets, multi-million dollar patent information, or secure database information, but I know there are people out there that do, and need to make sure the Feds, or anyone else for that matter can not under any circumstances compromise that data.

One thing I'd love to see implemented is a panic setting whereby someone in a crisis situation can entirely erase data securely right then and there. Having been a prior military contractor, I know of several instances where this would have been an amazing feature to have.

Spy/gangster/border agent manual entry:

If subject is using an iPhone, confiscate the iPhone and both of the subjects ears

and eyes.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

Great idea for those that need the extra security, but there are a number of situations where I would want anyone/everyone to be able to use my phone.

Example: Emergencies

I'm guessing they would make an emergency button so the phone could call 911?

That's an excellent point. Actually, I find it annoying that the iPhone isn't currently capable of making an emergency call in the first stage of charging a fully depleted battery. It's a little concerning to me because I run my iPhone down really often. I actually keep my old Nokia charged for this exact reason.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Constantly bashing Miscrosoft is obviously your modus operandi but adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. You really need to get over it.

Constantly defending Miscrosoft is obviously your modus operandi but adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. You really need to get over it.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Yes that's cool, but nowhere near as cool as the phone calling all my clients when it thinks I'm late for the meeting
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

You're actually suggesting that I should have to give a blood sample every time I wanted to use my computer? That's a little extreme, isn't it? I think I'll stick with a password.

Sheesh! And I'll have to upgrade my 1Password App to 1blooddrop.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

Thats a crazy law but at least I dont have to worried about it since I don't live there or plan to visit.

But actually those technologies are nothing for law enforcement to brake in on any Apple Hardware that could be released with the new security measures. The US Government has your finger prints and Pictures. Face Recognition... Can't be more advance than iphoto's and I think it must use it to allow the activation of such feature.

I had problem to teach iPhoto who was really me, after confirm about 200 pics iPhoto finally recognized me...
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

Considering that we are now living in a police state (The US anyway) where your laptop can be seized at the border as well as your cellphone (and by border we actually mean anywhere within 100 miles of the border according to the PATRIOT Act), ...

come on man!! a "police state"... really ?!?

compared to what?? the way the US "used to" be? or to wonderful places such as Eastern Europe in 1957 or even Russia or China today?

and is your point to imply that the government (aka the people who vote) does not need these added measures, harsh or not?

I do agree with the panic erase idea.. though theft by the dudes on the corner look much more ominous to me.. (hey why do they have those white earpieces?... and those shiny badges.. hmmmm)
  • Reply 31 of 51
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    wow i think Apple is working on making jailbreaking legal. All their drawings are of jailbroken iPhone
  • Reply 32 of 51
    ... Apple gets sued for millions in dry cleaning expenses as users fumble to sign in to their iPhones.

• Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

That's why I think the oral swab is the best way to go. Microsoft is pushing for urine sample, but the studios fear its way too easy to pass around to friends.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterLobl View Post

come on man!! a "police state"... really ?!?

compared to what?? the way the US "used to" be? or to wonderful places such as Eastern Europe in 1957 or even Russia or China today?

and is your point to imply that the government (aka the people who vote) does not need these added measures, harsh or not?

I do agree with the panic erase idea.. though theft by the dudes on the corner look much more ominous to me.. (hey why do they have those white earpieces?... and those shiny badges.. hmmmm)

The Telecoms have been given immunity from prosecution for Tapping your Phone Lines

Your Mobile can be Tracked

Your Web Surfing and E-Mail can and has been turned over to the NSA... Thanks AT&T

Marketers can track you thanks to "Deep Packet" inspection.

Your Laptop and Mobile can be Searched and Seized at any Border...

I suppose added security to a mobile device is a good thing- but kinda wots the point if the minute you use your device your data's security is compromised - see above

Oh and recently A Federal Judge has ordered Google to turn over to the nice Folks at Viacom

a Database containing the Names and IP#s of everyone who has ever watched a YouTube Video....
  • Reply 35 of 51
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    While I agree that Apple usually does a better job of implementing such technologies in a very user-centric way - IBM Thinkpads have had a "fingerprint" scanner for years - an IBM notebook that I setup for a customer 6 months ago uses the built in camera for facial recognition as an option for windows login. Apple has had voice recognition for login on the Mac OS - at least they did until OS X - biometrics in general has been around for some time -maybe not in a slim hand held package. DNA recognition seems a bit far-fetched - at least with technology available today that would fit inside the iPhone.

Hmm, if the next iPhone has better CPU etc - and with the 3.0 software expanded APIs will we see a super cluster built from iPhones?
  • Reply 36 of 51
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    "Hey dude, can I check out something on your MacBook?"

"Sure! No problem!"

"Whoa! Hey, dude....."
  • Reply 37 of 51
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivyleaf View Post

Yes that's cool, but nowhere near as cool as the phone calling all my clients when it thinks I'm late for the meeting

And which phone does that?
  • Reply 38 of 51
    the part about the finger scanner is totaly possible I could see that happening fairly soon. the ear check just seems pointless, same with all the other possibilities.

but stealth finger scanner as a security feature and log in thing for your computer is COOOL.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    marikmarik Posts: 26member
    The best implementation of this on laptops/desktops I think would be to place it within the items that are used to start up the computer, e.g embedding fingerprint scanners into the power button, or into that area where you lift up the screen to wake the laptop. This, I think, is best, because it doesn't add anything to the things the user must do to use the computer.

Hurry Apple, before someone implements this before you do!

-marik
  • Reply 40 of 51
    nite41nite41 Posts: 41member
    Apple = Constant Creativity!

Apple spends it's cash on creating better products. Microsoft spends it's cash on stupid idiotic advertisements!