Opinion needed on MacBook Air Value...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm not trying to sell it here, I'm just trying to get a idea of how much you guys think I can get for the below. I was considering getting a new MacBook to replace it and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the attempt.

This is what I have:

MacBook Air 1.1 (Custom Order)

-1.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

-80GB

-Extended Apple Care

-Two Chargers

-Ethernet Adapter

-Monitor Adapter

-Superdrive

-Incase Neoprene sleeve

NO scratches, dead pixels, or any problems. I babied it BIG time. It's a great machine, but I need a bit more for designing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Oh warranty is up February 24, 2011... I just check via apple.com
  • Reply 2 of 8
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    I assume you mean you want to upgrade to a MacBook Pro and not a MacBook!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustDoIt View Post

Oh warranty is up February 24, 2011... I just check via apple.com

• Reply 3 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I would check on ebay to see what similarly spec'd machines have sold for and then adjust your target price up or down accordingly. Nice thing with selling you Mac on eBay is that its value keeps getting pushed up and up with the more people that want to buy it. In this way, you may be able to get more for it than just placing a listing into a classified-type ad such as Craigslist.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    As someone who has recently tried selling my Mac on eBay to upgrade, I can tell you that eBay has gone massively downhill of late. eBay policy changes have made it harder for sellers. For instance someone bid for and won my auction but didn't contact me or pay and there wasn't any way I could leave negative feedback for that bidder. I also had to wait 16 days before I could get a Final Value Fee refund and free relist, which meant I couldn't offer the computer to other people during this time even though it was clear the buyer was not going to go through with the sale (in case the buyer turned around and said he wanted to buy). When I did relist, it almost looked like the same thing would happen except the guy asked for a week to pay and I have yet to find out if he will go through with it. This has caused me no end of frustration because I needed a quick sale to fund a bond on a new place I'm moving in to.

If you do list on eBay, I recommend you write something in your ad that asks people with less than 5 feedback to contact you to request permission to bid. Also request that buyers finalise payment within 2 business days of Auction close and that winning bidders contact you immediately after action close to finalise the payment method and final value. These are more than reasonable expectations but eBay's policies mean that a winning bidder that decides not to pay can essentially get away with it and no-one else will know. It's only if they do it repeatedly can they get banned (eBay won't tell me how often and frequently before this happens).

I tried sending complaint letters to eBay about their policies but all I got back was quotes from some manual about how the changes help "the eBay buying and selling experience" and that they've managed to cut the amount of negative feedback in half...as if this was a good thing!

So good luck and I hope I haven't completely scared you off from selling on eBay!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

I would check on ebay to see what similarly spec'd machines have sold for and then adjust your target price up or down accordingly. Nice thing with selling you Mac on eBay is that its value keeps getting pushed up and up with the more people that want to buy it. In this way, you may be able to get more for it than just placing a listing into a classified-type ad such as Craigslist.

• Reply 5 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

As someone who has recently tried selling my Mac on eBay to upgrade, I can tell you that eBay has gone massively downhill of late. eBay policy changes have made it harder for sellers. For instance someone bid for and won my auction but didn't contact me or pay and there wasn't any way I could leave negative feedback for that bidder. I also had to wait 16 days before I could get a Final Value Fee refund and free relist, which meant I couldn't offer the computer to other people during this time even though it was clear the buyer was not going to go through with the sale (in case the buyer turned around and said he wanted to buy). When I did relist, it almost looked like the same thing would happen except the guy asked for a week to pay and I have yet to find out if he will go through with it. This has caused me no end of frustration because I needed a quick sale to fund a bond on a new place I'm moving in to.

If you do list on eBay, I recommend you write something in your ad that asks people with less than 5 feedback to contact you to request permission to bid. Also request that buyers finalise payment within 2 business days of Auction close and that winning bidders contact you immediately after action close to finalise the payment method and final value. These are more than reasonable expectations but eBay's policies mean that a winning bidder that decides not to pay can essentially get away with it and no-one else will know. It's only if they do it repeatedly can they get banned (eBay won't tell me how often and frequently before this happens).

I tried sending complaint letters to eBay about their policies but all I got back was quotes from some manual about how the changes help "the eBay buying and selling experience" and that they've managed to cut the amount of negative feedback in half...as if this was a good thing!

So good luck and I hope I haven't completely scared you off from selling on eBay!

I've read about some of this stuff too. Scary! Still, I can't think of any other way to get a good feel for what a used computer might be worth.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks everyone for the comments... I just posted it on eBay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123

Now I need to decide what I'm going to replace it with. MacBook Pro ($$$ is the issue) or the MacBook... which would run faster than the Air.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
  • Reply 8 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustDoIt View Post

Thanks everyone for the comments... I just posted it on eBay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123

Now I need to decide what I'm going to replace it with. MacBook Pro ($$$ is the issue) or the MacBook... which would run faster than the Air.

If you have a degree of muscle tone in your upper body and core, or if you're just a big guy, carrying the macbook vs. the air is a non-issue. The main difference between the macbook and the air is disk performance. If that's the issue for you, the macbook will do you fine. If you need more screen space, then it obviously won't do.

I just bought a macbook. I think it's actually better for travel than the air, since it has a built in optical drive and the connectors are part of the unibody. Compared to other mac laptops I've had it seems the most durable, even considering the last generation titanium model.