Problem with Mac Mail-Multiple imap commands per email

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello, I just created an account with HostGator for my business and we have 6 emails. We have imap email and our account allows us to check email once per minute per email. We have it set up to check every 5 minutes so this should not be a problem.

They then told us that there was a problem with it checking more frequently and also overloading the server by issueing 'multiple imap commands per email, 3 to 4'. I can view our server processes and sure enough each email is showing 4 imap commands. I unchecked 'use IDLE command" since I know IDLE command has something to do with it checking frequently for email.

Unfortunately we have 3 processes running on our website so once we had 24 for the 6 emails that goes over our limit of 25 and our website goes down. For now we have had to turn off most of our emails except 2 that we receive most email at which is causing major problems.

When we talked to HostGator that question was "Do you use Mac mail? Mac Mail is knowing for doing that". Since I only use Mac's I don't want to have to switch to Windows for email or use another email program like Entourage or Thunderbird. This is a frustrating issue and when I did research on Google I saw a lot of other people having this issue but didn't see any answers. Any ideas what is causing this and how I can fix it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

With all due respect, it sounds like you purchased a Web hosting plan that is totally inadequate for your needs. I notice how much HostGator's website reminds me of GoDaddy's website. It is unclear if your problem lies with HostGator or with you. Ultimate responsibility is yours, however. You went for cheap. There are better services available for just a few dollars more. Whether you should upgrade your HostGator service or switch to a competitor such as GoDaddy or Dotster, the choice is yours. You get what you pay for.