MacBook Pro Internal BluRay

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Here's a BluRay drive by Panasonic that I found today that fits the 17" MacBook Pro. Looks nice, fully backwards compatible with SuperDrive, trusted manufacturer, and a halfway decent price.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1...detailedimages

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Hardware or not, isn't the problem that there is no software that can run a BluRay drive on OS X? Maybe in a Windows environment, I guess... but not with Mac OS.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    drjedidrjedi Posts: 61member
    Apparently, VLC can be used to view BluRay movie discs on a Mac. Toast 10 can burn BluRay discs on a Mac, all in OS X. So what do you mean by, "there's no software"? There's no official Apple software, but I'm not gonna let that stop me. And if I end up having to boot up XP to watch high def BluRay movies, then that's another reason Apple wants me to run Windows on my MacBook Pro. SuperDrive? You've gotta be kidding, Apple. It was Super at the turn of the century. Get with the times. Apple has been shipping the same optical drives for 5 years.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrJedi View Post

Apparently, VLC can be used to view BluRay movie discs on a Mac. Toast 10 can burn BluRay discs on a Mac, all in OS X. So what do you mean by, "there's no software"? There's no official Apple software, but I'm not gonna let that stop me. And if I end up having to boot up XP to watch high def BluRay movies, then that's another reason Apple wants me to run Windows on my MacBook Pro. SuperDrive? You've gotta be kidding, Apple. It was Super at the turn of the century. Get with the times. Apple has been shipping the same optical drives for 5 years.

VLC can view BluRay Discs? I must have missed that one!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Last time i heard, there are no Blu Ray drivers for the Mac as of yet.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrJedi View Post

Apparently, VLC can be used to view BluRay movie discs on a Mac.

Apparently, you seem to be mistaken.