Apple updates Apple TV software to version 2.3.1

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And this points to exactly why it was my mistake to buy an Apple Tv and not a Mac Mini instead for my TV. And you also get Safari on your TV.

Didn't work for us. TV is the thing we slouch in front of for a few hours to wind down. A computer is the thing we use to manage media & geek around while happily ingesting whatever the internet tells us is right - that day. The former requires two button presses for joy, the latter a 30° field of view or my dim eyes can't read stuff.

We did the Mac to TV & it's not us - domestic disharmony! I'd rather handbrake/QT Pro stuff into iTunes.

McD
  • Reply 62 of 80
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I really hope that was a joke because you obviously don't have kids.

It was clearly indicated as such to those paying attention. And to the contrary: now my kids have kids, so they get to deal with those issues and I don't have to.

As someone else pointed out, the ATV does have a pause button, and it does work.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geeksrus View Post

The Harmony codes for Apple TV are all a mess.

They work OK for me (Harmony 880), although honestly I end up using the Apple remote as often as not, simply because it's tiny and convenient (unlike the many, many other remotes that come with my various electronic devices).

Unlike whoever it was that called for an On/Off switch on the ATV I've never found a need for one. It's never locked up and become unresponsive, so I can always reboot it from the remote if necessary.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

mm.. are you some sort of forensic psychologist?

Apparently so!

Quote:

I think the point you are trying to make is that you DO have kids? but then, If you "want to be me" should I assume that you don't like the choice YOU made to have kids?

OR, take a step back and look at what I ACTUALLY wrote, rather than dig so far into your perception of what I said, that you arrive at a completely erroneous veiwpoint.

Sarcasm Walter, sarcasm!

Quote:

if your time is so mismanaged, or your work life balance so off, then why rent a movie in this specific manner, with the attached rules THAT YOU ARE ALREADY AWARE OF, unless you LIKE banging your head against the wall??

You are on track here. Just follow through to the logical conclusion and realize that I do not and NEVER WILL rent a movie in this manner, with these restrictions. That's the problem! Currently it's not a HUGE problem as long as Blockbuster and other "traditional" rental options exist. Blockbuster rentals are for a week for older movies and two days (actually longer without fees, but that's another story) for newer/hot movies. But how long are they going to be around?

Quote:

I ask again: How does anyone complaining about there ONLY being a 24hr window, EVER manage to sit for the 2-3 hrs in a movie house?

For you to repeat the question means my "forensic psychology" must have been at least partly correct - i.e. there's no way you have kids. Again, reach out to the logical conclusion: We don't!! Or more precisely for us, it's a once or twice a year luxury that involves coordinating with other people and sometimes complex logistics. Don't you hear/read about parents with young kids how they long to be able to go out to movies and such? Those stories aren't fiction.

I'm just poking in fun, so don't be mad. Unless or until you're in this boat, we really don't expect you to understand.

Quote:

this I agree with it SHOULD be longer (why not opt for three days, ie a whole weekend) but if we all know it ISN'T why can't we manage our time and work within what DOES currently exist

I may not have it right, but don't you americans pride yourselves on your "free economy" ? so vote with your dollars and use a different service that allows for MORE than 24 hrs.. oh.. BTW what service IS THAT again???

See above. Renting nice, shiny, physical media works for now.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

But if iTunes on the computer is better and easier to navigate- why not just hook that up to your TV and be begone with ATV? i.e. MacMini?

I tried that when the Mac-Mini first came out. But at 480p iTunes was unreadable and the AppleTV gave me what I wanted with an interface intended for the TV when it came out. -- Sense then I have upgraded to a 1080p TV and have it connected as a second monitor for my iMac. My earlier problem is now moot but I still find it easier to use my AppleTV than to use my iMac.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

I ask again: How does anyone complaining about there ONLY being a 24hr window, EVER manage to sit for the 2-3 hrs in a movie house?

I don't. Nor do I rent movies with this limit. I very seldom am able to sit completely through a movie.
  • Reply 67 of 80
    t11chbt11chb Posts: 1member
    At long last, i have just noticed all my James Bonds etc can now be grouped together in movies, yippee
  • Reply 68 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Oh man you are so right about adding Hulu support. I forgot all about that!

Why would anyone pay $1.99 or $2.99 when you can view SD and HD quality for free on Hulu???

My DVR has conked out during Heroes before and I just went up to Hulu to watch the last 15 minutes the next day on my Mac.

We have two options, we can hook up our TVs to a mac and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to view shows online (which I've done and find annoying), or we can get an apple TV and use the tiny remote to get to our favorite shows (which I've considered but can't bring myself to do it). Why doesn't apple just streamline the process into ATV by putting an option in the menu for TV shows that the ATV retrieves from the major networks' websites. We still have to watch the one or two commercials per episode, and then you get the option to purchase the episode when the show is over. No more keyboards, just the sleek menus that Apple has become great at. Example: select tv shows, select a network, select a show, select a season, select the episode. ATV does all the dirty work of retrieving the episode and suddenly it's not so cumbersome to use that little remote to get to watch your favorite shows online.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I just picked up an Apple TV today? man, I'm pretty impressed...

I haven't totally used every feature yet, but I did watch the free episode of top gear and the 2nd to last Episode of Battle Star? also an episode of Co-op.

Question? I thought you could subscribe to podcasts right on the Apple TV? Where do I find this?

Thanks

-john
  • Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

I just picked up an Apple TV today? man, I'm pretty impressed...

I haven't totally used every feature yet, but I did watch the free episode of top gear and the 2nd to last Episode of Battle Star? also an episode of Co-op.

Question? I thought you could subscribe to podcasts right on the Apple TV? Where do I find this?

Thanks

-john

Not seen a subscription option on ATV though you can subscribe via iTunes itself. You can add them to favourites to build your own podcast channel on ATV.

McD
  • Reply 71 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bezfish View Post

We have two options, we can hook up our TVs to a mac and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to view shows online (which I've done and find annoying), or we can get an apple TV and use the tiny remote to get to our favorite shows (which I've considered but can't bring myself to do it). Why doesn't apple just streamline the process into ATV by putting an option in the menu for TV shows that the ATV retrieves from the major networks' websites. We still have to watch the one or two commercials per episode, and then you get the option to purchase the episode when the show is over. No more keyboards, just the sleek menus that Apple has become great at. Example: select tv shows, select a network, select a show, select a season, select the episode. ATV does all the dirty work of retrieving the episode and suddenly it's not so cumbersome to use that little remote to get to watch your favorite shows online.

I'd say Apple thinks internet video streaming is still too unreliable to put their 'badge of excellence' on it & I don't blame them. They pay homage to YouTube and Video Podcasts but they're not real TV so the high expectation isn't there. There seem to have been moves to change their internet media delivery partners recently so maybe a more robust infrastructure would convince them - we'll see.

You sure you couldn't part with a couple of bucks for the odd catch-up? some shows are worth keeping for a while.

McD
  • Reply 72 of 80
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Im looking at getting an atv as my media server mainly for itunes - music/videos and movies, one question though, can you simply daisy chain usb drives to the atv as required, I was going to start with a 1TB external and go from there?

hasapi
  • Reply 73 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hasapi View Post

Im looking at getting an atv as my media server mainly for itunes - music/videos and movies, one question though, can you simply daisy chain usb drives to the atv as required, I was going to start with a 1TB external and go from there?

hasapi

AppleTV is a media extender for iTunes, not a server. The internal drive is simply a cache for photos and HD movies, everything else can be streamed from the main iTunes library, so size isn't really important(!) Think of it as an iPod for your TV not the media hub.

McD
  • Reply 74 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

AppleTV is a media extender for iTunes, not a server. The internal drive is simply a cache for photos and HD movies, everything else can be streamed from the main iTunes library, so size isn't really important(!) Think of it as an iPod for your TV not the media hub.

McD

Thanks for the info McD, um, I think that's a deal breaker for me, my photos, music and video is sitting on a large external HD, I only have a MacBook Pro. So the MBP would have to be up & running to use the appletv for my content?, If thats right then thats BS!.

hasapi.
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

McD

McD, I just found this over at MacRumors http://guides.macrumors.com/Apple_TV..._Drive_Upgrade The current internal HD can be upgraded to 320GB. I think AppleTV has been deliberately limited to exploit revenues for the itms, anyway, as always it looks like there are workarounds available.

hasapi
  • Reply 76 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The current internal HD can be upgraded to 320GB. I think AppleTV has been deliberately limited to exploit revenues for the itms, anyway, as always it looks like there are workarounds available.

It's just an extension of your PC's iTunes. IOW, an iPod for your TV. You can have Terabyters of iTunes media on your PCs that you can stream to your AppleTV.

The reason for such a small HDD is because it uses a 2.5" HDD. The largest one you can install in the case is 500GB because that is the largest 2.5" can hold.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's just an extension of your PC's iTunes. IOW, an iPod for your TV. You can have Terabyters of iTunes media on your PCs that you can stream to your AppleTV.

The reason for such a small HDD is because it uses a 2.5" HDD. The largest one you can install in the case is 500GB because that is the largest 2.5" can hold.

Ok, your first point relies on a PC constantly on to stream the media. This is a problem if you only have laptops in the home and your second point is correct, so why disable the external usb, and allow external HD's to be attached for as much storage of media as you require?.

hasapi
  • Reply 78 of 80
    Quote:

McD, I just found this over at MacRumors http://guides.macrumors.com/Apple_TV..._Drive_Upgrade The current internal HD can be upgraded to 320GB. I think AppleTV has been deliberately limited to exploit revenues for the itms, anyway, as always it looks like there are workarounds available.

hasapi

Apple aren't afraid to charge but purchasing music again isn't really the objective. More likely is need to keep the usage & design clean to service their consumer (not technophile) primary market.

In truth you can manage the content very well and a standalone 160GB unit would probably suffice (it doesn't have to have all of your media instantly available). I'm not sure how cost effective the larger storage options in 2.5" format would be and remember it just slaves to the main iTunes library anyway.

Quote:

Ok, your first point relies on a PC constantly on to stream the media. This is a problem if you only have laptops in the home and your second point is correct, so why disable the external usb, and allow external HD's to be attached for as much storage of media as you require?.

hasapi

It unfair to transpose some other media system architecture onto iTunes/ATV. ATV was never intended to be the primary storage hub, it's just an access device, can you imagine trying to manage 500GB of media with a 6-button mini remote?

Your notebooks can provide the bridge between your main storage with the iTunes library on the external HD and the ATV, presumably if you're indoors you'll have at least one of your notebooks available - just starting iTunes is enough. Although it would make sense for ATV to access a central library directly (wirelessly?) have you considered the operational connotations of multiple libraries scattered across multiple physical drives? Keeping this consumer class is a tough design challenge and unfortunately ATV will need to be elevated from 'hobby' status to achieve this.

Personally I think Apple need to bring their MobileMe media 'cloud' into the home to automatically concatenate disparate iTunes libraries (& create automatic backups) but we'll have to see how the product evolves.

McD
  • Reply 79 of 80
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

You don't own an Apple TV, do you teckspud?

Either that, or you've not yet updated your Apple TV to version 2, released almost 14 months ago.

Your comments on the device have no validity.

?????????????

Are you saying that the ATV v2 software upgrade also came with an off switch? Damn, mine never came, it must of got stuck in my router.

Cheers for the heads up!
  • Reply 80 of 80
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    http://www.xbmc.org

Turn your AppleTV into something much more useful, no hacks required, no warrant voided.