Snow Leopard roadmap; Pro app updates in pipeline

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    I use aperture daily on 3 machine and rarely run into problems. I think its a great program. I rarely do much tweaking once I injest the photos.

It's a great combo with Photoshop. The only thing I wish it had was an XML like export for when working on 1 project on multiple Computers.

Can't wait to see Motion.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Wow, an August release? I was hoping for something like mid to late June.

I just hope they haven't lost focus and are indeed doing more maintenance rather than introducing new features.

Would adding things like a unified UI fall under the category of maintenance or new features? Technically wouldnt an overall unified look speed up performance?
  • Reply 23 of 95
    double post..
  • Reply 24 of 95
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    http://euphonix.com/artist/news/index.php?id=17

Quote:

Euphonix has worked closely with the world?s leading software developers like Apple, Steinberg, MOTU and others to deeply integrate native EuCon support into their audio and video applications to provide high-resolution, high-speed control over almost all software functions for an unmatched editing and mixing experience. MC Transport also supports the HUI and Mackie Control protocols for even greater flexibility, at a faster speed and higher resolution than any other controllers. MC Transport is expected to be available at authorized Euphonix retailers in June 2009 at an estimated street price of $399.99.

• Reply 25 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Balmer: But, but, but -- it costs more!

...or: "But it costs less so it must be crap!!!"
  • Reply 26 of 95
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    lets fart now.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Wow, an August release? I was hoping for something like mid to late June.

I just hope they haven't lost focus and are indeed doing more maintenance rather than introducing new features.

Anyone have the odds of Snow Leopard shipping pre-installed on systems during the back to school event?
  • Reply 28 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also under evaluation by developers and a select group of creative professionals are several Pro Application updates that are nearing a public release. Among them is a new version of Apple's ProRes Codec for its high-definition lossy video compression format and a significant update to the company's professional color grading software application labeled Color 1.5.

"Significant update" to Color, but a .5 version? Hmmm. I'm not getting my hopes up. Still, even a bug fix to Final Cut Studio would be worth paying full price for.
  • Reply 29 of 95
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    This Snow Leopard version sounds like a huge re-write and it also looks like this re-write influenced almost all Apple applications - especially the Pro app line.

The release of Snow Leopard and Windows 7 will be a defining moment in the history of both Apple and MS. I am holding fingers for Apple as I prefer Mac OS X much more. It's not the functionality alone, it's the calm feeling you have when you use OS X. Furthermore, OS X has a sense of character that is very abscent from Windows. Windows is like... cold... lifeless. Yeah sure, windows is functional - it works ok, but... it does it without any grace. I almost never get upset when I use OS X, something I cannot say about windows.

Well, I can't wait for SL!

*crossing fingers*
  • Reply 30 of 95
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ah, bad news to me.

How are debug versions of an operating system kernel, filesystems, userspace and more bad news?
  • Reply 31 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

This Snow Leopard version sounds like a huge re-write and it also looks like this re-write influenced almost all Apple applications - especially the Pro app line.

The release of Snow Leopard and Windows 7 will be a defining moment in the history of both Apple and MS. I am holding fingers for Apple as I prefer Mac OS X much more. It's not the functionality alone, it's the calm feeling you have when you use OS X. Furthermore, OS X has a sense of character that is very abscent from Windows. Windows is like... cold... lifeless. Yeah sure, windows is functional - it works ok, but... it does it without any grace. I almost never get upset when I use OS X, something I cannot say about windows.

*crossing fingers*

It may be even more defining for Apple. Snow Leopard represents the ascension of Cocoa to the throne and a changing of the guard.

Legacy PPC and Carbon have been deposed and future versions of OS X will be kept nimble and light (as possible) paving the way for more rapid development and portable device domination.
  • Reply 32 of 95
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Aperture 2 is rated 4.5 stars on Amazon

Maybe the issue is you. There's something that isn't vibing with you. Have you tried Lightroom?

Lightroom has proven to be far more popular than Aperture. Apple really blew this one. Great idea, only fair implementation.
  • Reply 33 of 95
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Anyone running, or hear of anyone running this cat - What is the speed like? No made up stuff please. Genuine, real world use scenarios benefits in speed?

Still a little early to test "CORE" system speed as error checks are everywhere in the code. This causes latency when regular release code would not have these. Memory usage is also slightly higher because of this error capturing as well, so don't read much into reports it's becoming "windows" in terms of RAM usage.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wordwise View Post

...or: "But it costs less so it must be crap!!!"

Often, you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 35 of 95
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

*crossing fingers*

Windows 7 is to be the defining moment in MS history? Only to tell if they will be viable in the future. If 7 release turns out to be another vista then your gonna see major shifts and changes at MS including the removal of several on top. Shareholders are NOT HAPPY with recent decisions.

Imagine the Applications division outselling (profit) the OS division 2 years in a row. Imagine Office for Mac (04+08) come close to Vista OTC sales? What does that really mean to Win7 and future of MS.

Not saying the blue giant will fall. XP still outranks Vista after 2 years, however 2004 showed XP outpacing Win2K/ME/98 use (same 2 year mark).

MS needs 7 to work in lighter forms and with less hardware requirements. We also need 7 to come in ONE form in a similar fashion to OS X where certain aspects of the system are enabled by the user if they want/need them (like aero) but based more on hardware inspection done at install (snow leopard).

7 will still be severely limited due to NTFS file system being too outdated to compete with today's modern requirements. MS can do better, even if it means licensing "other" formats for it's base file system. It's toooooo DOS any way you look at it. It's failure rate lately is getting to be a bit much.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Windows 7 is to be the defining moment in MS history? Only to tell if they will be viable in the future. If 7 release turns out to be another vista then your gonna see major shifts and changes at MS including the removal of several on top. Shareholders are NOT HAPPY with recent decisions.

Imagine the Applications division outselling (profit) the OS division 2 years in a row. Imagine Office for Mac (04+08) come close to Vista OTC sales? What does that really mean to Win7 and future of MS.

Not saying the blue giant will fall. XP still outranks Vista after 2 years, however 2004 showed XP outpacing Win2K/ME/98 use (same 2 year mark).

MS needs 7 to work in lighter forms and with less hardware requirements. We also need 7 to come in ONE form in a similar fashion to OS X where certain aspects of the system are enabled by the user if they want/need them (like aero) but based more on hardware inspection done at install (snow leopard).

7 will still be severely limited due to NTFS file system being too outdated to compete with today's modern requirements. MS can do better, even if it means licensing "other" formats for it's base file system. It's toooooo DOS any way you look at it. It's failure rate lately is getting to be a bit much.

7 won't be another Vista in terms of problems. 7 is Vista refined. It's like a new release of OS X in that regard, but not even as drastic.

Most of the problems Vista had, to be honest, was with third party drivers, programs not being ready, etc. Most of that is now water under the bridge.

7 will fix some of the GUI problems, and possibly make the horrible security unfriendliness better.

PCs are much more powerful now, so the running problems won't be seen, and it can be run on notebooks, though it's not as fast as XP there.

It's already faring much better than Vista, even though it's still in beta.

This is why 10.6 has to be a knockout.
  • Reply 37 of 95
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    I've tried the Windows 7 Beta, and I believe it has overcome most of the obstacles that made people so reluctant to upgrade from XP to Vista. I truly believe that when Windows 7 is released, it will be better received than Vista. Not just because it will be better than Vista, but because many Windows users that hated Vista--especially businesses--have been dying to upgrade from XP for a while. When 7 is released, XP will finally go the way of the dinosaur. XP has had a good run, but it's long past time for it to retire.

That said, I doubt Apple has much to worry about. The improvements in Windows 7 barely bring the OS up to the same level as Leopard, in my opinion. The innovative features of Snow Leopard (especially the improved use of multiple cores) should really make it stand out in spite of the good reception of Windows 7. Microsoft will continue to play catch-up as Apple continues to innovate.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Still a little early to test "CORE" system speed as error checks are everywhere in the code. This causes latency when regular release code would not have these. Memory usage is also slightly higher because of this error capturing as well, so don't read much into reports it's becoming "windows" in terms of RAM usage.

Splained beautifully, thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I've tried the Windows 7 Beta, and I believe it has overcome most of the obstacles that made people so reluctant to upgrade from XP to Vista. I truly believe that when Windows 7 is released, it will be better received than Vista. Not just because it will be better than Vista, but because many Windows users that hated Vista--especially businesses--have been dying to upgrade from XP for a while. When 7 is released, XP will finally go the way of the dinosaur. XP has had a good run, but it's long past time for it to retire.

That said, I doubt Apple has much to worry about. The improvements in Windows 7 barely bring the OS up to the same level as Leopard, in my opinion. The innovative features of Snow Leopard (especially the improved use of multiple cores) should really make it stand out in spite of the good reception of Windows 7. Microsoft will continue to play catch-up as Apple continues to innovate.

Unfortunately, Apple's position is such that 7 doesn't HAVE to bring much more to the table. All it needs to do well is to work ok. It was Vista's faults, and perceived faults that have been driving people to the Mac. It was also MS's long climb to get it out the door that helped before that.

Most people really don't want to move from what they're comfortable with. Windows works well enough for most people, or they wouldn't be still using it.

If changing didn't involve buying new hardware, it might be different. Most people would likely be willing to try something for $130 than for $1,300. When that involves buying new software as well...

If we weren't in such a bad economic climate, it might be different.

But, Apple can't screw this up.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    I don't even think the battle is for the desktop/laptop anymore.

It's all about the mobile device and Apple is coming from a position of

strength here.