Apple TV update waiting on NVIDIA ION?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With Mac mini thankfully NOT adopting NVIDIA's ION platform as some rumor outlets speculated, I am now drawn to the other part of the rumor, that it may be targeted for Apple TV instead.

Let's face it. Whether you think native support for 1080p contents is necessary or not, Apple TV's hardware hasn't been updated since it started shipping 2 years ago. Personally, with just about every TV sets larger 37" having 1080p, I don't see why it shouldn't be updated to support native 1080p contents.

Apple TV is equipped with a variant of Intel's 1 GHz Pentium M processor introduced in 2004 (and replaced by the original Core Duo platform), 256 MB RAM, and NVIDIA's GeForce Go 7300 with 64 MB graphics memory.

Ideal replacement seems to be either NVIDIA ION running Intel Atom processor or Atom's system-on-chip replacement, Lincroft. ION is targeted to ship this summer, Lincroft this fall.

Likewise, 2.5" PATA hard disk (40 or 160 GB) is in need of replacement. SATA-based hard disk seems to be a no brainer, possibly with 80 GB occupying the low-end and 320 GB on the high-end configuration (and hacker community offering 500 GB). Hopefully, USB port will support external hard disk.

As for the software, Apple must offer subscription-based video rental of some sort (either in-house or existing like Netflix). I sincerely hope it gets iPhone-like SDK to allow services like Hulu, TV.com, additional video codecs (heck, even Microsoft is adding DivX/Xvid on Windows 7), and games.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

As for the software, Apple must offer subscription-based video rental of some sort (either in-house or existing like Netflix). I sincerely hope it gets iPhone-like SDK to allow services like Hulu, TV.com, additional video codecs (heck, even Microsoft is adding DivX/Xvid on Windows 7), and games.

I like that. But with the spat between Hulu and Boxee I wonder if Apple will sit back and wait until it's over. I do not understand why the content providers will not allow Hulu to be played on Boxee and suspect that Apple is waiting from them to come to their senses before allowing third parties into the AppleTV.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple would need to use the Dual core Atom to keep from being a lateral move here regarding the Apple TV/

Quote:

NVIDIA?s GeForce 9400M chipset alone isn?t enough to ensure problem-free Blu-ray playback with the Intel Atom processor. The problem is, as I?ve said before, that NVIDIA?s Ion isn?t a balanced platform. It uses a GPU that?s much too fast for the CPU it?s mated with.

NVIDIA wants the world to believe that the GPU is all that matters going forward. While the GPU is a very important part of many systems today, it does not eliminate the need for a fast CPU.

If you want an Ion system to serve as your HTPC or if you just want to watch Blu-rays on your Ion netbook, you?ll need a minimum of a dual-core Atom 330.

Ion systems are expected to begin shipping in the next few months.

Granted that's for Blu-ray playback but I can't but help think there's a better solution.

Hahahah this sums it all up.

Stoppit. Stoppit!

Just, stop it.

Stop trying to make Intel?s Atom processor do things it wasn?t made to do. I previewed the Atom?s performance last June, here?s the Atom 270 running at 1.6GHz under SYSMark 2007:

I think whatever Apple does it should have 3 storage options.

A. Flash storage enough to buffer content and light local storage. Maybe like 4GB flash or something.

B. 80GB hard drive

C. 320GB hard drive

Apple needs to decide about whether they're going to jump the Hulu and other services like it bandwagon.

Frankly I think they should just focus on making iTunes the best source for media and leave the Hulu and other stuff to other products.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Flash support sounds cool, when your showing your video clips from a video camera, the external HD support is more mandatory.

Any takers on the update timeframe?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I like that. But with the spat between Hulu and Boxee I wonder if Apple will sit back and wait until it's over. I do not understand why the content providers will not allow Hulu to be played on Boxee and suspect that Apple is waiting from them to come to their senses before allowing third parties into the AppleTV.

Hulu is meant for computer devices. Once Boxee made it easier to put online content onto TVs, it started to threaten long standing network/cable business models. There was a pretty good article in last weekends NYT on the subject.

Regarding Apple, I don't think they really care what's going on with Hulu, et al. They would have to establish agreements with all of the different providers to get them on apple TV. I can see deals with Netflix/Blockbuster before deals with Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think whatever Apple does it should have 3 storage options.

A. Flash storage enough to buffer content and light local storage. Maybe like 4GB flash or something.

B. 80GB hard drive

C. 320GB hard drive

I actually would add a "D" option to allow external drives to be connect by USB port, that way there is no worry about storage space.