iPod shuffle sales surge 50% as iPod touch maintains top slot

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sales of Apple's most affordable iPod shot up more than 50 percent a week after the company unveiled new, more compact models that shift the push controls from the player itself to the included pair of earphones.

Barclay's analyst Ben Reitzes relayed via a report earlier this week data from market research firm NPD showing that sales of iPod shuffles grew 51 percent the week of March 21st, the first full week the third-generation players were on the market. Sales continued to gain momentum the following week, rising another 10 percent.

However, a snapshot of Apple's overall iPod business during these same time periods isn't so rosy. Combined, sales of all iPod models fell a staggering 38 percent on a year-over-year basis during the week of the 21st, following a 21 percent decline the week prior.

The good news for Apple is that these declines were fairly inline with broader trends in the digital media player sector, which saw sales slip 37 percent and 21 percent, respectively, for those same two weeks. Also noteworthy is that the week of the 21st is somewhat of a tough compare given that Easter Sunday fell on the 23rd last year.

On the downside, Reitzes reports that the recent fall-off in sales suggests iPod shipments for the first calendar quarter of the year could be down some 14 percent year-over-year. This is inline with general market trends, but much worse than the analyst's previous estimate of a 2 percent yearly decline.

That said, Retizes notes that while NPD data factors in sales at Apple retail stores, it doesn't include sales from the company's online store or any iPod distribution points outside the United States.

"We continue to believe that International sales growth is stronger than the US for iPods," he wrote.

The analyst also include the above iPod unit sales distribution chart, which provides a visual breakdown of Apple's weekly iPod sales mix by model and price point. The 8GB and 16GB iPod touch, along with the 120GB iPod Classic, are by far the company's best selling players by volume since the start of the year. The 32GB iPod touch and 16GB iPod nano trail the pack by a considerable margin.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Boy, does this fly in the face of the predictions of most of the so-called analysts out there. Is it just me or are they wrong far more often than they are right about anything Apple-related. After all these years they still don't get it.
  • Reply 2 of 117
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    All the whiners complained about the new shuffle..saying it sucks...guess they were wrong about that too. Looks like people do want the new shuffle. I am quite happy with my 2nd Gen Shuffle and iPod 160 Classic. No need to upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 117
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    AI April Fools Headline: Japanese women love the new iPod shuffle.
  • Reply 4 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

All the whiners complained about the new shuffle..saying it sucks...guess they were wrong about that too. Looks like people do want the new shuffle. I am quite happy with my 2nd Gen Shuffle and iPod 160 Classic. No need to upgrade.

While I think the new Shuffle is a great improvement, they added everything I wanted I don't think this article is proof of the success of this new design. The upswing in sales is common for a major product revision. Even the BB Storm had a swell of new sales and carrier contracts... before a about 50% returned the device.
  • Reply 5 of 117
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

All the whiners complained about the new shuffle..saying it sucks...guess they were wrong about that too.

Popular doesn't necessarily equal good. Any Apple product refresh will see a jump in sales no matter how good or bad the new product is. Let's see how it performs in the long term before drawing conclusions.
  • Reply 6 of 117
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is it just me or are they wrong far more often than they are right about anything Apple-related. After all these years they still don't get it.

It's not just you.
  • Reply 7 of 117
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    This not surprising- it's a whole new item/new form factor, ect. I wouldn't even call it a Shuffle- a Shuffle once meant simplicity. It would only be news if it didn't make an initial splash.

Regardless, it still sucks.
  • Reply 8 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While I think the new Shuffle is a great improvement, they added everything I wanted.....

Too bad that you said you're not even gonna buy one.
  • Reply 9 of 117
    I hear it's a favorite among Lilliputians.
  • Reply 10 of 117
    Quote:

It does suck. That's not a whine or a complaint but a fact.
  • Reply 11 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Too bad you said your not even gonna buy one.

I'm quite utilitarian in my purchases. Since my current Shuffle sufficient I won't get a new one, but that doesn't mean that the changes I posted for are not welcome. If my current Shuffle is lost, stolen or broke I'll know what I will buy next.
  • Reply 12 of 117
    Quote:

It does suck. That's not a whine or a complaint but a fact.

Making a statement of "it sucks" is a complaint that adds nothing to the thread. If you were to structure your comment with clear and well thought out reasons why the device doesn't fit your needs and/or why you think it won't fit the needs of the majority then I doubt any of the regular posters would be stating your comment is negative or trollish. In fact, I know I'd be taken aback and would post accordingly, as I've done in the past, when you've posted well.
  • Reply 13 of 117
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The problem is that most tech-geeks (forgive the term) and technophiles live in a vacuum. They assume the rest of the market (meaning the vast majority) think as they do.

Well they don't. Not even close.

The success of a product depends on a good understanding of the *average user.* The ones who want to get things done with the least amount of tinkering and frustration possible.
  • Reply 14 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Making a statement of "it sucks" is a complaint that adds nothing to the thread. If you were to structure your comment with clear and well thought out reasons why the device doesn't fit your needs and/or why you think it won't fit the needs of the majority then I doubt any of the regular posters would be stating your comment is negative or trollish. In fact, I know I'd be taken aback and would post accordingly, as I've done in the past, when you've posted well.

How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Added: And I've stated and well as countless others have numerous times that the Shuffle was once synonmous with a simplified iPod and that this one is not.
  • Reply 15 of 117
    jth2117jth2117 Posts: 2member
    I don't think it is fair to say that the Ipod Touch maintains the top slot. The graph breakdown is by price range which results in three models getting added together. It is impossible to say where they would rank if shown individually. For example, if they are all sold equally then each model would only represent about 12% and therefore the nano would be the number one seller.
  • Reply 16 of 117
    Wow, didn't see that one coming... Not sarcastic.

Solipsisismtitties, yes the thing was largely panned by pretty much everyone that matters, including Gizmodo, Engadget and even our dearest cheerleader (appleinsider) questioned the new direction. So no, he's not just being some troll. Lay off.
  • Reply 17 of 117
    . . . .
  • Reply 18 of 117
    Quote:

How many times do I have to post the link of the bad reviews for the new Shuffle for you? I can't help it you are in denial or refuse to read what's been written. Show me a glowing review then. Come on- show me one , and one that's not biased.

Please post the scintillating reviews of Vista by the tech community just prior to release. Your only problem with that will be trying to fit all the link into one post.

The only sure way to judge the success of the shuffle is to wait at least 6 months after release.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    bought my fiance a new one, and myself a red 2nd gen shuffle...thinking I couldn't live without the controls.

A week later, and I'm enthralled by the new shuffle and wished I had bought one.

Yesterday, she told me while at the gym, the new shuffle is 'so freeing' while on the treadmill and in the gym. No need to look down, navigate, or even LOCATE the device... and you can select from multiple playlists immediately...something I can't do my 2nd gen shuffle.

Put another way, the new talking shuffles are bad ass, and only 'suck' until you actually own one...take it from me... a first hand convert whose red 2nd gen shuffle is already collecting dust...
  • Reply 20 of 117
    Quote:

Added: And I've stated and well as countless others have numerous times that the Shuffle was once synonmous with a simplified iPod and that this one is not.

How is it not a simplified iPod?