iPhone OS 3.0 to expand homescreens; new video walk-through

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Somebody OnThe Nets View Post

I love my 2nd gen iPhone, but is there an option to set the iPhone to go straight to phone mode after unlocking?

That's the one thing I would love.

I would like the option to let the iPod functions of my iPhone to be not locked when the phone is locked. I'm forever fiddling with the iPod, but want my phone etc protected.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

So, with NO design change at all, we almost have folders already, and with a tiny, tiny design change to the buttons at the bottom of the screen, you would have all the functionality of folders for apps.

I think people complaining about folders are just not able to see that they already have them.

No, we don't have folders, we have small dots and homescreens. 11 homescreens is a lot of little dots to fat-finger (and remember which is which), or a lot of flipping. They are limited to 16 apps per page. There were a lot of people who made the same argument about MMS (I think the people complaining about MMS are just not able to see that they already have it through e-mail). Well, the iphone is getting MMS and it will get folders because it is convenient. I'll bet folders show up the minute Apple officially allows docs to reside on the iphone, I'll wager 4.0.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I've already filled 9 screens and leave a spare slot for redownloading Apps if needed, it won't take long to fill two more especally if 3.0 brings new types.

I've got 3GB of Apps they will probably go back to alphabetical order when I update.

I love the variety when I pick up my iphone there is so much I can do.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I think both of you (and by extension all those talking about how "folders" would be better) are wrong.

The various screens we have now are pretty much the exact same thing as folders, they just don't look like folders. The only difference is that they don't allow for nested folders, otherwise they are exactly the same.

Most people talking about folders always say:

"I just want one folder for games, one for web apps, ..." etc. (or words to that effect).

This is no different than the multiple screens we have now. If the iPhone allowed for folders, it wouldn't make sense to put one to a screen, so they would all be on one screen. This idea of having all the apps in folders on a single screen, is usually put forward as a way of "stopping all the flipping back and forth" (which although it only takes a second or two apparently infuriates some people). That means multiple folders on a single page with (presumably) tabs or buttons to switch between them.

How is this significantly different from multiple screens with the buttons at the bottom to switch between them? If they made those tiny dots just a tad bigger, it would be basically the same thing.

So, with NO design change at all, we almost have folders already, and with a tiny, tiny design change to the buttons at the bottom of the screen, you would have all the functionality of folders for apps.

I think people complaining about folders are just not able to see that they already have them.

I don't think that's right.

A page of folders (games, productivity, musical instruments, reference, etc.) gives me one touch access to categories that are easy to spot. 16 categories ought to cover the action pretty well.

Direct access to app screens via the "dots" means I have to remember that page 3 is games, page 4 is reference, etc.

Moreover, Apple could implement a touch behavior for folders, such as touch and hold, to bring up a list view of folder contents, which would bring any app within a single touch and slide, and do it within a logical tree structure that would be very intuitive.

Personally, I want Apple to extent the right swipe/leftmost screen idea they're using for spotlight to a down swipe/upper screen notifications and current info screen.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    I like the dot idea located at the bottom of the screen for jumping to the screen you want. How about Apple did something like they have for Mac OS X with the apps at the bottom of the screen as icons for quick access. They would turn the dots into pictorial icons. Similar to the we use so often. You could set them in settings. They could be based on the categories for the apps in the store. Or you could make your own. One problem would be they would have to be about as big as a smiley. That could eat up a lot of space on the screen. You press the icon and jump directly to that screen.

I already arrange my apps by functions. I have a research screen, an "out on the town screen", a fun and games screen. You get the idea. I know where they are. It would be nice to jump directly to them.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:

...The various screens we have now are pretty much the exact same thing as folders, they just don't look like folders. The only difference is that they don't allow for nested folders...

The simplicity of homescreens is great, I'm just not a big fan of the sequential navigation. I guess Apple just needs to come up with a better navigation when there's tens to over a hundred apps on the device.

Perhaps a fast flipping aid and tabs to categorize the homescreens can help.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    With technology we have, all of this should have been implemented a long time ago. OS should be more like 2.5. Give me simple video recording (which some people who have jailbroken theirs already have) and I'll call it 3.0.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    starbirdstarbird Posts: 42member
    What I would like to see, being an iPod touch owner, is the 'Music' and 'Video' buttons collapsed into one 'iPod' button, like the iPhone.

Having them separate was fine in the days before the app store, but now? Forget it. The iPod touch is much more than a music/video player.

Am I alone in this?
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmoore44 View Post

Quit using cheesy background music with your videos. It sucks and kills the message. Sorry for the critique but I can't take it anymore!

There is a volume control. For all you quick thinkers out there.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    cg165cg165 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I would like the option to let the iPod functions of my iPhone to be not locked when the phone is locked. I'm forever fiddling with the iPod, but want my phone etc protected.

Hey, this is an option you can turn on already

Settings, General, Home Button, and at the bottom turn "iPod Controls" on.

Now lock your phone, and double tap the home button and your ipod controls to skip back, play/pause, skip forward and volume will be there.

Hope that helps, I use that all the time. I like having my phone locked too and just controlling it from there or just mostly use the headphones that came with it. For the headphones, 1 click pauses/plays, double click is next song and three clicks goes back a song.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    cg165cg165 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I've already filled 9 screens and leave a spare slot for redownloading Apps if needed, it won't take long to fill two more especally if 3.0 brings new types.

I've got 3GB of Apps they will probably go back to alphabetical order when I update.

I love the variety when I pick up my iphone there is so much I can do.

Why not just get rid of the ones you aren't using anymore? I had a ton of apps before and decided in iTunes to just sync selected apps. All of the apps I had are still on my computer, but since I don't use all of them I just sync the ones I use regularly to keep on my phone. If you haven't used an app in like 2 months why even keep it on the phone. It would be hard to regularly use all 9 pages of apps also (in my opinion).
  • Reply 52 of 56
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

A big fault with the iPhone from what I've read is not being able to have more than one app open at a time. How come this is so easy on the Palm Pre? Why can't you use an app while listening to music? Check my mail with a video in the background?

I don't have an iPhone so I'm curious as to what happens when you receive an email with a video. Can you watch the video in the email? If so then it would seem that you should be able to have two apps open at the same time.

its not a fault its a feature
  • Reply 53 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cg165 View Post

Why not just get rid of the ones you aren't using anymore? I had a ton of apps before and decided in iTunes to just sync selected apps. All of the apps I had are still on my computer, but since I don't use all of them I just sync the ones I use regularly to keep on my phone. If you haven't used an app in like 2 months why even keep it on the phone. It would be hard to regularly use all 9 pages of apps also (in my opinion).

For the simple joy of re-discovery!

I also work in a phone store and use my iPhone to demonstrate...

...I sell a lot of iPhone's that way, mainly to people who never considered one and are busy playing around with a Storm, Omnia or the latest batch of Nokia blandness.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    m2002brianm2002brian Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Apple is proposing the use of Spotlight for this (as a quick application launcher)... But I agree, there needs to be a better way to access the home screens and re-arrange the icons on the home screens. I wouldn't be surprised to see this turn up later in the beta process.

Best,

Kasper

Considering my desktop has far more real estate, why not use itunes to rearrange home screen icons. Although I'm sure many people would rather be doing this from the iPod/phone themselves. I also think it would be nice if when turned to landscape it was sort of like cover flow for your home screens.

One thing I do is take my FAvs (dock) and put them on the last page (last home screen) and use the dock for switching apps between pages.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    Seems Jonny Ive hired Nigel Tufnel. Brilliant.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Why does this video guy take forever to decide what to show!?!?

The sound can be muted, but his spastic finger is needlessly annoying.