Apple proposes iPhone that calls security agency when stolen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Right- I can see someone saying it got stolen meanwhile they dropped it in the toilet.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

Um...since when does a large vibration mean my phone has been lost or stolen?

Like when it vanishes while standing under a flying saucer?
  • Reply 23 of 45
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Orange offers insurance package covering iPhone. 5 eur/month I believe...

As soon as security officer catches me, the legitimate iPhone owner, by mistake, I sue Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I could see this being useful if a purse/backpack was stolen. But the Mobile Me tracking app can do this as well.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    dappledapple Posts: 44member
    Just as the 2G iPhone prefaced the very enhanced 3G iPhone experience for personal users, the 3G iPhone may be a preface to the very enhanced 3G+ iPhone experience for enterprise in addition to a near ultimate experience for personal users with the ultimate experience to follow in a 4G adaptation for both types of users, IMO.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

Um...since when does a large vibration mean my phone has been lost or stolen?

When it is not in your pocket. If it ain't it should be lying somewhere quietly, like on your desk, or in another jacket pocket. If that jacket pocket is moving, however, it most likely isn't your jacket.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    This is not "Apple's stupid idea" as someone posted - as applied to a cell phone and as implemented perhaps - but there has been software available for some time for notebooks that has a similar purpose - but without a built in GPS chip most notebooks cannot tell you where it is and the software only works if the machine is connected to a network.

What I would suggest is a security mode that after so may failed attempts to unlock puts up a screen that says the phone must be taken to the Apple store for repair - then when they look up the serial number up pops a message that says the unit was reported stolen - which triggers a process by which the registered owner is notified and the person who brought it in is told to come back tomorrow - at which time the authorities can be alerted and given the name and address of the person who brought the device in - if that person has a criminal record etc the cops can be waiting to have a little chat with them on exactly how they came into possession of the device - and which provides time for the owner of record to come in and prove ownership by successfully answering the security questions.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Wasn't there another article recently about potential enhancements to MobileMe that would allow the owner to locate a lost/stolen iPhone online? The owner would register their iPhone on their MobileMe account and be able to log into MM and find out where their phone was. The "security agent" in this patent could simply be this MobileMe service. This patent simply outlines how the iPhone could determine for itself if it's been stolen (a little hokey, but whatever). It would then report it's position to MM where the owner can locate it and determine if they need to call the police (vs, "oh, I left it in my car in the driveway").
  • Reply 29 of 45
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

What do you expect in a "PC" world? And I'm not talking about John Hodgman.

We no longer have a "War on Terror" but an "Overseas Contingency Operation".

We no longer have "terrorist acts" but "Man Caused Destruction", (a little sexist if you ask me).

Anyway, I can see where AI gets off writing 'security agent', it comes from the change we can believe in!

Look who crawled out from under his rock!

What happened, did Bill O'Reilly get tired of your half-hearted attempts at fellating him?
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Some idiot loses his phone... Its the idiots fault.

The person finding it gets to keep it. Finders Keeper.

If this policy applies to Apple, it should apply to all.

Could you imagine all the problems and headaches something this stupid could do?

I have yet to lose anything.

Why so stupid - please elaborate. I am not crazy about any device automatically calling the cops, but that would never happen anyway. So...

Some idiot looses his phone - idiots fault. No one will argue with that but we're all idiots from time to time.

First you determine whether your phone is 'on the move' - eg someone's got it.

Then you call your phone, send a txt, whatever. If the person does not reply you can assume they intend to keep it and as it is yours you have a right to try and get it back.

You can locate the the whereabouts of the phone but if you see a person speaking on it you may not want to say 'That's mine!' and try and grab it. a) you could be wrong, and b) you could get beat up, or worse.

So you call the cops and you have the evidence to prove your point. I thinks thats fair. Whether it is worth the replacement cost is another question. It may be better to just remotely wipe it, consider lesson learned and go buy another.

The "finders Keepers" philosophy is pretty stupid, however but you are excused because you have never lost anything ;-).
  • Reply 31 of 45
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    So the agenda of tracking all of our movements and the complete destruction of privacy continues in the name of 'Security'.

Sorry, but what if I don't want my phone trackable by the iPolice?

This is a horrible idea. One of many where Apple wants 2010 to look like 1984.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

When it is not in your pocket. If it ain't it should be lying somewhere quietly, like on your desk, or in another jacket pocket. If that jacket pocket is moving, however, it most likely isn't your jacket.

What ?

Quote:

If that jacket pocket is moving, however, it most likely isn't your jacket.

Wha tif it is your jacket? It's in your jacket pocket and you pick up your jacket to go home, it'll lock up and call the police?

If it's on your desk and someone walks by and picks it up and slips it into their pocket, how is that "vibration or acceleration above a predetermined lock-down threshold," more than what you would normally use?
  • Reply 33 of 45
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

So the agenda of tracking all of our movements and the complete destruction of privacy continues in the name of 'Security'.

So Apple develops a software that let's u contract a third party security company to find your missing iPhone, lost or stolen.

Obviously it is your choice to get the police involved. Certainly if your iPhone had been stolen along with your car or your home had been burglurized, this function would be most welcomed.

Or I am certain just being able to use it to find where you left it would be valuable. You just have tobewilling to pay for it
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

W

Wha tif it is your jacket? It's in your jacket pocket and you pick up your jacket to go home, it'll lock up and call the police?

You are really looking for problems, aren't you? Why would your phone lock up and call the police? Why would you report it stolen if it wasn't? The phone doesn't know it is stolen unless you notify somebody. Then, if it is 'moving' and it turns out to be in your own pocket you deserve to be arrested for not having called your own phone before reporting it stolen.

Quote:

If it's on your desk and someone walks by and picks it up and slips it into their pocket, how is that "vibration or acceleration above a predetermined lock-down threshold," more than what you would normally use?

Again, you are being over dramatic. Of course it can't tell that it is stolen unless you let someone, or some thing, know. Then it can see if it is being used or is idle. If it is idle it can tell you to look harder, look in your shoe, whatever. If it is in your car it won't register that much movement and it will have a certain pattern to the movement. I can't be screwed to look but I can't believe the article said the 'lock down' would happen without any kind of external trigger. That's just silly.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Guess this explains why our "On-Star" like app was given the no-go. Used the accel, and flashing screen with voice prompts to tell if you were in an accident. It would then call 911 and repeat off the GPS location, then call number #2, then #3...
  • Reply 36 of 45
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I think this can be a great feature as long as it's driven manually by the owner of the iPhone. If you think it's been stolen, you go to defcon1, which is the phone pin-locks using a pin number you type into iTunes. ( Then you find it in your other jacket ).

At defcon2, you're pretty sure it's not where it should be and you can request an emailed GPS co-ordinate. ( Oh, I left it at the office ).

At defcon3, you ready to file a police report. You get regular emails from the iPhone with maps including time spent at various locations, sound bites of voice, numbers called, photos ( iPhone spotted a face in-frame ). ( You realise it's been stolen by some-one at your college and hand over the proof to the police, who visit their home ).

The key difference here is that it's a deterrent. Once the iPhone is known as the worst phone to steal - some thieves will decide not to steal the phone BEFORE it happens. This prevents the inconvenience and maybe even the stabbing/shooting bit too. That's why it's better than insurance, disabling, etc, cos the thief is threatened and no-one wants to buy a stolen iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You are really looking for problems, aren't you?

I'm not. I was trying to figure out your post.

Quote:

Why would your phone lock up and call the police?

Because it's supposed to. Did you actually read the article?

Quote:

The phone doesn't know it is stolen unless you notify somebody.

According the article, it sure does.

"when the device is exposed to vibration or acceleration above a predetermined lock-down threshold" it locks down.

My point is that a simple movement will determine theft?

Quote:

Again, you are being over dramatic. Of course it can't tell that it is stolen unless you let someone, or some thing, know.

Why am I being overdramatic by questioning your response (which I did not understand) to the article? This article states that the device can determine it is being stolen automatically, based on movement, then lock the device and send an email or phone home/police/security.

Quote:

I can't believe the article said the 'lock down' would happen without any kind of external trigger.

Right. The only external trigger needed is simply "vibration or acceleration above a predetermined lock-down threshold"
  • Reply 38 of 45
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Apple has a great idea but it needs a few additional features.

Personally I'd like control over what can function in lockdown mode. I'd set mine to allow the use of the phone but delete the applications and personal data so the thief can access it.

The phone should contact Apple servers hour to check if it should go into lost/stolen mode. If it is it should update Apple with it's current location every 5 minutes. Only Apple or the owner should be able to set lost/stolen mode. Apple should only be able to set it if there is a police report but the owner should be able to set it anytime.

There should be a web site where the account holder can, using either computer or another iPhone, view locations and control the phone.

One should be able to tell this site to instruct the phone to update every 10 seconds for a limited period of time so that when one is in the near the phone it's easier to track.

One should be able to tell the phone to go into locate mode, maybe yelling "I've been stolen" at max volume so that once one is within a few meters the phone it's easy to fine who has it. Heck, with all of the noise the theif might even drop it and run.

It should also have a find mode which is much like locate but set to it just beeps every few seconds. This is for those time where you not sure when in the house you left the phone.

Even if you completely wipe the phone or put in a different SIM card none of these features would be turn off. It's locked to the serial number and the web site is setup for you when you activate your phone. If the phone is marked lost/stolen then you can't activate or change the site ownership until it removed from the lost/stolen list.

Once this is done iPhones would not be worth stealing since there will be no value to a thief any more.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    ... It's a brave new world, isn't it? I am happy that Apple is doing so well, after years of being marginalized, but please be careful of not becoming M*crosoft ...
  • Reply 40 of 45
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

FYI- All mobile phones can be tracked. Even if you're not using it. And on some, even it you turn it off. The only sure way to keep it from "pinging" the nearby towers is to remove the battery. And you can't do that on an iPhone.

The carriers can go back on all your cell phone calls and tell the police where (within several miles of a tower) you were when you made any of your calls. If you have a cell phone that "pings" the near by towers every so often, they can tell where to were (or at least where your cell phone was) even if you weren't talking on your cell phone at the time.

If you learn anything from watching "Forensic Files" is that, if you're going to commit a crime, leave your cell phone at home.