Doing a clean install of OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Ti667 with OS 9 and OS X on it. On the X side, things are a bit buggy, so I plan on doing a clean install of X, but leaving my OS 9 stuff intact. I tried this once before, but the clean install didnt work, I still saw remnants of my prior version of X. So then I booted to OS 9, and cleaned out all the OS X dir's/files and even killed all the invisible OS X files I could find (using ghost Hunter and Greg's Browser), but I STILL COULDNT get a clean install of X without traces of my previous install.

How do I do a clean install of X that erases 100% of any earlier installs of X WITHOUT erasing the drive? I want to try and keep my OS 9 side exactly as it is currently.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    Do you have 9 and X on separate partitions?

I don't have OS9 on the same hard drive so I don't have this problem, but, now someone correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like you could wipe that partition clean during the installation of OSX? Or is it the whole hard drive?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Delete all of these files/folders:

/.DS_Store

/.Trashes

/.VolumeIcon.icns

/.hidden

/.vol

/Applications

/Developer

/Library

/Network

/Network Trash Folder

/System

/Temporary Items

/Trash

/Users

/Volumes

/automount

/bin

/cores

/dev

/etc

/mach

/mach.sym

/mach_kernel

/private

/sbin

/sw

/tmp

/usr

/var

Most of these, as ou may already know, are invisible files/folders at the root level of your drive.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Sorry for the vague question. Yes, my OS 9 and OS X are on the same internal ATA device (the stock OEM 40 GB drive in my Ti667), they share the same partition too (only one partition, no custom partitions have been made). HFS+
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    hey, artist formally known as StarFleetX, can you do a clean install from os 10.1.5 to 10.2 without losing old files and programs?? would love to do one clean install without having to back up iMovie files and quicken info (ok quicken is small and easy, but iMovie files and all my iPhoto and iTunes files are big)....thanks g
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Wait for Jaguar. It takes care of clean installs in a breeze.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Post some thing like this in the Genius Bar they may know.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    AppleMaster is right. The Jaguar installer has a Clean Install and Archive option that will do a clean install of Jaguar (while leaving your OS 9 stuff alone), it'll put your previous OS X stuff in a folder called Previous System Folder, and then it will copy all your user directories and settings over to the cleanly installed Jaguar.

It works 100% in my experiences so far.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>The Jaguar installer has a Clean Install and Archive option that will do a clean install of Jaguar (while leaving your OS 9 stuff alone), it'll put your previous OS X stuff in a folder called Previous System Folder, and then it will copy all your user directories and settings over to the cleanly installed Jaguar.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can you/do you need to use a second drive for this process? I just ordered a 20GB FireLite drive with the intention of backing up the drive in my iBook, reformatting it and doing a clean install of Jaguar. I'm still trying to decide whether to put Classic on a separate partition or not bother with Classic at all. It would be really helpful if the Jaguar installer facilitated backing up my user and OS 9 files to an external drive.

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 11
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>It would be really helpful if the Jaguar installer facilitated backing up my user and OS 9 files to an external drive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It doesn't do that as far as I can tell. As I said there's 3 options in the installer: Format and clean install, clean install and archive with restore settings, and Upgrade. I don't believe the clean install and archive option can be used the way you want it to - as far as I can tell it will only work when you install it on top of an existing OS X system.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    I have a bunch of MP3's in my music folder that'll get lost if I format. Will the archiving feature automatically take care of them, or do I need to burn all 3GB of them onto CD-R's?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I'll try my best to clarify things.

There are 3 options when you install Jaguar:
    • 1. Update: (Just like "Install" without selecting any options in Mac OS 9 installers)

This updates whatever version of Mac OS X you are using. System files and Apple applications will be updated, everything else stays as it is.

Example: If you installed XWindows, after an Update install, it will still run as it did before as the installer only touches files placed there by Apple.

• 2. Archive install: (Has the same effect as a "Clean Install" did in Mac OS 9)

Instead of just updating the System and Apple applications, the old Mac OS X System is placed in a folder called "Previous Systems" (there can be more than one if you repeat this install method). Inside Previous Systems are all the old OSX system files, the /Users/Shared folder and Apple applications that have been updated (iTunes, Terminal, Mail etc).

Your home folder and that of other users is the same...when you start up the machine everything is there as before, including all the users, your files, settings, preferences etc. Anything you installed at the system level (eg: Retrospect, System PrefPanes like Default folder or Windowshade) are no longer there, however, but must be reinstalled or moved over from the Previous System.

Example: If you installed XWindows and you performed an Archive install you would have to either reinstall XWindows or move the relevant folders over from the Previous System.

Example 2: If you have Microsoft Office installed, it will be there as before and work as before, as it installs nothing in the "System" folder.

• 3. Erase Install:

This DELETES everything on the hard disk or partition you select for the install and installs Mac OS X. Nothing whatsoever is preserved.

*~*

Notes: If you have installed a few things like Norton Utilities, lots of preference panes and other things into your 10.1.X system, I'd recommend an Archive install, as quite a few programs don't work with 10.2 properly yet. However, by the time Jaguar is released, it's quite likely all the broken programs will have updates available for them. However, quite a few people I know have chosen the Update install and had no problems.

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Currawong ]</p>