Apple to enable iTunes account creation via iPhone software?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As part of its upcoming release of iPhone Software 3.0, Apple may is preparing to allow customers to sign up for and manage their iTunes accounts directly from their handset or iPod touch.

As we noted earlier this week, the second beta of iPhone Software 3.0 included a new preference panel labeled "Store" that's located within the global Settings application. Initial reports suggested that this panel was bare, yielding no additional clues as to its function.

More recently, however, we were provided with an image from one tester who claims to have had (some) success identifying Apple's intentions for the panel. Apparently, it will allow users to sign into their iTunes account outside of the embedded App Store and mobile iTunes Store applications.

Additionally, the image suggests customers new to the iTunes ecosystem will be able to sign up for an iTunes account -- which also facilities App Store purchases -- directly from their multi-touch devices, forgoing the need to do so on a Mac or PC running iTunes.

Just how feasible this process may be, and what information Apple will require, remains unclear. That's because neither the login function nor the account creation function are operable at this time, and instead produce a popup dialog saying, "Cannot connect to iTunes Store."

Apple has said that it plans to release iPhone Software 3.0 sometime this "summer." The release will be a free upgrade for all iPhone owners but will cost $9.95 iPod touch users.

Update: iTunes account creation was actually mentioned during Apple's preview of iPhone Software 3.0 last month, some readers have pointed out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I guess that makes sense, with in-app/in-game micropurchases now being an option. Store-related controls shouldn't be tucked away in the App Store and Music Store apps, if what you're buying isn't exactly either of those. I imagine you'll be able to block micropurchases for kids (or accidental taps!) too.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Apple announced this during their iPhone OS 3.0 keynote....
  • Reply 3 of 15
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    I rarely sync my iPhone with my computer, so being tied to having iTunes on my computer doesn't really make sense...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Should help in China.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristoRogers View Post

Apple announced this during their iPhone OS 3.0 keynote....

Yes, they did. AppleInsider should watch the video before they write articles. This was no big secret.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As part of its upcoming release of iPhone Software 3.0, Apple may is preparing to allow customers to sign up for and manage their iTunes accounts directly from their handset or iPod touch.

As we noted earlier this week, the second beta of iPhone Software 3.0 included a new preference panel labeled "Store" that's located within the global Settings application. Initial reports suggested that this panel was bare, yielding no additional clues as to its function.

More recently, however, we were provided with an image from one tester who claims to have had (some) success identifying Apple's intentions for the panel. Apparently, it will allow users to sign into their iTunes account outside of the embedded App Store and mobile iTunes Store applications.

Additionally, the image suggests customers new to the iTunes ecosystem will be able to sign up for an iTunes account -- which also facilities App Store purchases -- directly from their multi-touch devices, forgoing the need to do so on a Mac or PC running iTunes.

Just how feasible this process may be, and what information Apple will require, remains unclear. That's because neither the login function nor the account creation function are operable at this time, and instead produce a popup dialog saying, "Cannot connect to iTunes Store."

Apple has said that it plans to release iPhone Software 3.0 sometime this "summer." The release will be a free upgrade for all iPhone owners but will cost $9.95 iPod touch users.

Update: iTunes account creation was actually mentioned during Apple's preview of iPhone Software 3.0 last month, some readers have pointed out.

Can one purchase a movie from the iPhone directly?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I wonder how long that would take to download on 3G?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I wonder how long that would take to download on 3G?

Is WiFi faster? sorry for my ignorance on this issue.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:

sorry for my ignorance.

FINALLY he admits it.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

FINALLY he admits it.

Are you tonguing me?

I fixed it.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    they need to let users config airport routers/time machines from iphones/touch.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Maybe it'll be like 'cloud' storage for those with too many Apps.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

likely not. the restriction was never about logging into the account but because of the bandwidth required. my guess is that ATT balked at letting users download 100-700 MB files over 3g, so no can do.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

likely not. the restriction was never about logging into the account but because of the bandwidth required. my guess is that ATT balked at letting users download 100-700 MB files over 3g, so no can do.

That's understandable but why won't Apple let us download it over WiFi? It would be great especially when traveling without a laptop.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    dbrohamdbroham Posts: 1member
    iPhone needs to be able to stand alone without the need to sync with a computer. Some future customers may never own a computer, forcing computer activation/sync only limits iPhone growth.