Connect Mac Mini to Altec Lansing surround speakers

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am new to the forum and to Mac's ... after searching and searching the web ... and now have searched through this forum. I wonder if I am barking up the wrong tree. I am converting from PC to Mac ... my Altec Lansing ACS54 speakers have a L/R (front) 1/8 plug and SS/L/R 1/8 plug. I was looking for a USB external sound card & software to give me surround sound ... however, most are for PCs only ... and some indicate that for Mac, only the front speakers will work. Speakers sound OK with front and woofer using my Mini's single output jack ... but I sure miss having surround. Frankly ... I've always heard Mac's were much better for music and media than PCs ... and as a result have been surprised and frustrated by this experience. But, I digress ... does anyone here know of a good USB external soundcard that works and gives a 5-speaker viewing/control software panel so my new Mini can produce surround sound?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by txplant View Post

I am new to the forum and to Mac's ... after searching and searching the web ... and now have searched through this forum. I wonder if I am barking up the wrong tree. I am converting from PC to Mac ... my Altec Lansing ACS54 speakers have a L/R (front) 1/8 plug and SS/L/R 1/8 plug. I was looking for a USB external sound card & software to give me surround sound ... however, most are for PCs only ... and some indicate that for Mac, only the front speakers will work. Speakers sound OK with front and woofer using my Mini's single output jack ... but I sure miss having surround. Frankly ... I've always heard Mac's were much better for music and media than PCs ... and as a result have been surprised and frustrated by this experience. But, I digress ... does anyone here know of a good USB external soundcard that works and gives a 5-speaker viewing/control software panel so my new Mini can produce surround sound?

the Griffin Firewave would do what you want, but they don't sell it anymore I believe, so you'd have to find it on craigslist/ebay/some store that still carries it/etc