RAM, seriously...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've bought 256 Megs of RAM along with the included 128 Megs of the 12 inch iBook. Makes 384, and I thought that would be more than I'd ever need.

Then I ran "top -u" and thought "is that a joke?". Finder, Chimera, Mail, JediKnight (an IRC client) and Proteus were running (well and Terminal, for top), and the free RAM was about 20 Megs, top said. SO I launched iTunes. 6 Megs left. Then I ran Acquisition. 4 Megs left. Then I ran AppleWorks and iPhoto. 6 Megs left - huh? :confused: Must be some clever memoery management, but wouldn't that mean that OS X would run faster with more RAM on my machine? Please say no

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001208"; target="_blank">Read This.</a>

You must have missed it.

OSX will run always run faster with more RAM(same with most other *nix's). I heard that after 512mb, though, it only makes a difference if you are running multiple apps at once, or doing intensive Photoshop work.

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: CubeDude ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Looks like :cool: Thanks.

(Thread may be locked.)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>I've bought 256 Megs of RAM along with the included 128 Megs of the 12 inch iBook. Makes 384, and I thought that would be more than I'd ever need.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Read the <a href="http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q4/macosx-10.1/macosx-10.1-6.html"; target="_blank">Arstechnica article on 10.1</a> as it explains how OS X uses RAM. You don't need more RAM, as OSX initially uses up more physical RAM for applications so they run well, then manages how much of each application is paged to disk as virtual memory.

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Currawong ]

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Currawong ]</p>