MacBook Air refresh soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10207974-64.html

When do you think a refresh is bound to happen with this announcement? The Xeon Nehalem servers have already been confirmed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustDoIt View Post

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10207974-64.html

When do you think a refresh is bound to happen with this announcement? The Xeon Nehalem servers have already been confirmed.

Maybe a spec update like when the unibody MBP were upgraded from 2.53 to 2.66 with no fanfare.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I hope apple updates the air to the following specs:

2.13Ghz

4GB ram

160GB SSD

$2500

Is this likely?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Algol View Post

I hope apple updates the air to the following specs:

2.13Ghz

4GB ram

160GB SSD

$2500

Is this likely?

Maybe. I think it was a huge mistake for Apple to not include at least 1 DIMM slot. Have 2GB soldered on and a slot that can accept another 2Gb or a 4GB.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Maybe. I think it was a huge mistake for Apple to not include at least 1 DIMM slot. Have 2GB soldered on and a slot that can accept another 2Gb or a 4GB.

Or simply 4GB of soldered RAM on the high-end model, because $200 for the cpu BTO option that just cost $32 more ($284-?$316) is pushing it a little, IMO. $200 for the speedbump and the RAM bump is more customer friendly...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    4GBs soldered is fine with me. Apple needs to get on it though. I need a faster notebook than this rev A air, and I'll stick with the air if they can provide something that'll meet my needs.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously AIR needs more than a processor bump to push sales to the point where the model will stay around for a while. No matter how you look at the device AIR comes up short for somebody. Refresh it all you want processor wise and the thing is still of limited use.

Further I have to agree with many here that the AIR currently doesn't offer much in it's high end models. At least for the price demanded, as has been pointed out a 4 GB model should be a no brainer. Apple needs to enhance the battery too, even if that would mean a slightly thicker AIR.

When it comes right down to it what Apple needs, to offer up an enhanced AIR, is a SoC processor from intel. This would free up a lot of space inside the housing for a thicker battery. Potentially the RAM and system components could end up on one board. It won't solve design short comings like the lack of I/O ports which currently seem to be a mental issue but certainly could lead to a roomer interior. Hopefully Apple is working with Intel on a properly specced SoC processor implementation. From the basic computing point of view this is what Apple needs in the machine.

Dave