Barclays says Apple has more than doubled iPhone production

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

im saying that WITH the txting it is over $100. and the txting costs nothing for the company to give, so it shoudl be an included feature for all of those with data plans (no matter the phone)

Your argument is worthwhile, but that is where the telcos would say you're wrong, because technically, txting isn't considered "data" in their eyes because all they do is piggyback the txt signals with voice transmissions. Hence, that is why txt messages are broken down into 150 character packets (the maximum allowed for them to piggyback the txts without incurring costs), which is precisely why it is highway robbery by the telcos because it costs them nothing. Yeah, there are quite a lot of lawsuits going on, but I don't forsee any of them having much impact. Afterall, all of them engadge in piggybacking.

As for the cost of the iPhone, yea the 1st Gen iPhone was much higher in cost, yet it was the first product of its kind (new tech), and with hardly any competition to boot (less alternatives = higher command of price). Nowadays, $299-$399 is about right for a smartphone with the iPhone's capability. The question is whether or not Apple sees fit to encroach on the sub $200 cellphone market.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

ok, im not sure what you mean "with the txting plan"

i posted "yeah, after taxes and data and all the required stuff, with the 450 min plan, it comes to just over $80 a month (with no txting)... now i add the $20 txting, as its easier to get a hold of a lot of people who dont take phone calls all the time, or simply cant answer their phone often... and vice versa when someone is trying to contact me."

the $20 txting is the $20 unlimited Txting plan.

i do have the txting plan, tahts what makes it over $100 a month...

Edit: also, i know its something we have to deal with, i originally just said i'd like to see TxT included in the data plan charge.

Ok. I had asked you before, and your reply indicated that you didn't have the plan.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    smilingoatsmilingoat Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ok. I had asked you before, and your reply indicated that you didn't have the plan.

i certainly did not indicate that.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

They can do what they did last year with the 3G iPhone. The can ask the FCC to keep the filling confidential until a certain date. Last year Apple announced the iPhone 3G the same day the FCC made the filling public.

Yep however it was a few months after that before they hit the stores. Carrier testing etc has to happen before they can be released and it will be hard to keep that secret. Jobs himself said it is better for Apple to announce the phone rather than have someone else do it.

I expect an announcement at WWDC and then the new hardware hitting the shelfs in September.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:

i certainly did not indicate that.

Not intentionally, but that's the way it read, to me.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I think the competitors - including the much-touted Pre - are going to be left stranded and stunned. iPod strategy redux.

If that turns out to be the case, what will make it particularly significant is the fact that these are some LARGE players that we are talking about.

I am holding (my AAPL).
  • Reply 47 of 61
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    There's absolutely no way Apple will release a model with no wifi. Maybe they will allow China to disable it, but there's just no way in hell they would bother with an iPhone that is so castrated as to be disappointing to its owners and people who peeked over that owner's shoulder to see the action. No wifi on such a large screen would suck!
  • Reply 48 of 61
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    I have a Flip, and they're great, but it's going to be a very short lived gadget. The video on the iPhone should be good enough, to use except in cases where you want a full sized dedicated video camera. I'm really looking forward to this.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    smilingoatsmilingoat Posts: 153member
    oh, one thing i want to put on the wishlist (which will likely not happen)

a new casing that does not scratch so easily.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What a big step backwards to remove Wi-Fi! Don't do it Apple.

That's in China, not globally. China's leadership has strong political control motivations not to want its citizens to possess unrestricted Wi-Fi on cell phones.

http://idannyb.wordpress.com/2009/04...hone-in-china/

In the marketplaces of free nations, Wi-Fi is a big performance benefit in extending iPhone battery life. An iPhone internet connection through a 3G phone network requires more power than Wi-Fi.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    didn't get a least clue neither in what Mac is, nor in what iPhone is, but they are now ready to burst on the scene of speculation games, Engadget says. It does make sense and it definitely has some huge money behind to proclaim "we're launching new h/w this summer".
  • Reply 52 of 61
    tigertiger Posts: 20member
    I doubt it, but it would be great if this presages the end of AT&T's iPhone exclusivity.

I would love an iPhone but refuse to become an AT&T customer to get one.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

That's in China, not globally. China's leadership has strong political control motivations not to want its citizens to possess unrestricted Wi-Fi on cell phones.

In the marketplaces of free nations, Wi-Fi is a big performance benefit in extending iPhone battery life. An iPhone internet connection through a 3G phone network requires more power than Wi-Fi.

Another example. In Egypt, Apple disables GPS feature on all 3G iPhones because it is illegal to have GPS there! Hell, an Egyptian friend told me few years ago that you need a special government permit to buy/own a color laser printer!!!
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:

Another example. In Egypt, Apple disables GPS feature on all 3G iPhones because it is illegal to have GPS there! Hell, an Egyptian friend told me few years ago that you need a special government permit to buy/own a color laser printer!!!

This isn't unusual in dictatorships. It was illegal to have a fax machine in the Soviet Union.

These governments don't want people to set up communication networks they can't look into.

China keeps a close watch on internet usage, and cuts off the sites it doesn't like.

It doesn't want WiFi, because that's too local, and could transmit where the government can't see it.

They want their own home grown 3G standard to prevail in China, and not have to pay royalties to foreign companies.

I just read an article in the NY Times that said 99% of all music sold in China is pirated. Close to that in movies and Tv shows.

Why?

Because China needs to keep its people happy with very low cost entertainment, because they're constantly worried about unrest. Secondly, they don't want the foreign companies, again, to make money off them and take it out of the country.

They also want their own companies to get a big marketshare before they allow foreign ones to be treated fairly.

It's a very difficult country to do business in.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

It's not just Apple all manufacturers have to disable GPS and dedicated GPS units are not available there, some Egyptians buy their phones from other countries for the GPS.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

The naive foreigners are just jealous of China's rapid progress in all areas, therefore they cannot restrain themselves from bashing China. People in western countries are misinformed about China by their own crappy media and authoritarian government.

wifi is allowed in China. Even with wifi, the data transfer still has to go through the same internet network. It makes no differences whether the internet is accessed using wifi or just plain cable.

The Chinese has every right to protect their own 3G standard, so that they do not need to pay all the greedy foreigners.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    text messaging is a multi-billion dollar stage for these cell phone service providers. You can garuntee that they will get thier money. I dont see text messaging becoming a part of a data plan.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

The naive foreigners are just jealous of China's rapid progress in all areas, therefore they cannot restrain themselves from bashing China. People in western countries are misinformed about China by their own crappy media and authoritarian government.

wifi is allowed in China. Even with wifi, the data transfer still has to go through the same internet network. It makes no differences whether the internet is accessed using wifi or just plain cable.

The Chinese has every right to protect their own 3G standard, so that they do not need to pay all the greedy foreigners.

That's a bit naive yourself. China competes unfairly. They want to make the progress it took us 200 years to do in 30. If they wanted to play fair, it would be different.

If we imposed the rules upon them that they impose upon everyone else, they would be VERY unhappy.

It's the Chinese who are demanding the limits on WiFi. Don't try to change facts.

You are saying dumb things here. Perhaps you work for the Chinese government?
  • Reply 59 of 61
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's a bit naive yourself. China competes unfairly. They want to make the progress it took us 200 years to do in 30. If they wanted to play fair, it would be different.

If we imposed the rules upon them that they impose upon everyone else, they would be VERY unhappy.

It's the Chinese who are demanding the limits on WiFi. Don't try to change facts.

You are saying dumb things here. Perhaps you work for the Chinese government?

What a stupid logic that is? Anyone who disagrees with you is working for the Chinese government? As a naive American, you should not talk like you are superior or pretend to be know-it-all.

Also, the Chinese are doing just fine, unlike what your biased western media told you. Sure they have their own problems, but the people are working on them.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

What a stupid logic that is? Anyone who disagrees with you is working for the Chinese government? As a naive American, you should not talk like you are superior or pretend to be know-it-all.

Perhaps, then, you shouldn't talk like a propaganda bot.