How much HD space will Jaguar take up?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone know how big the basic install of Jaguar is? This is assuming I have no OS 9, perhaps not even classic mode, and only the most basic applications (AppleWorks, iCal, iSync, Address Book, Sherlock, and 1-2 more MAX). Any chance I could shoehorn it onto a 2GB hard drive?

My primary system is a G4 tower with a 40GB hard drive, but this little system is a Wallstreet laptop with a puny 2GB drive and 160MB RAM (128 + 32). I may be able to switch it out with a cheap 4-6GB laptop drive and 288MB of RAM (or even 384-512 MB), but I am low on money so it would be cool if I could get it to work without upgrades.

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    no. at least not with acceptable space for VM
  • Reply 2 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    from Apple's OSX page:

"While the amount of disk space required depends on your computer and the way you are installing Mac OS X, you are recommended to have at least 3.0 GB of available space on your hard drive."

you might be able to just barely scrape by installing onto 2GB, but your 'book would run like shit due to lack of swap space. and with only 160MB RAM, you'd need quite a bit.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I say maybe just maybe, my totally clean install of Jag on my iMac takes up 1.64Gb including all the extra iApps (but no Biggies like Illustrator 10, photoshop or Office X) so probably not.... sorry
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by Thereubster:

<strong>I say maybe just maybe, my totally clean install of Jag on my iMac takes up 1.64Gb including all the extra iApps (but no Biggies like Illustrator 10, photoshop or Office X) so probably not.... sorry</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does that include the Developer Tools, and/or Classic?

Some people may not need those.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

Does that include the Developer Tools, and/or Classic?

Some people may not need those.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How can you not need the developer tools? I thought everyone programmed Cocoa. Or at least, the cool people do!!!

You wanna be cool, right?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by dxp4acu:

<strong>

How can you not need the developer tools? I thought everyone programmed Cocoa. Or at least, the cool people do!!!

You wanna be cool, right? </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm a moderator. My coolness is not in question.

While *I* find the Dev Tools invaluable, my wife does not, and I'm about *this* close to ditching Classic altogether, so an idea of how much the plain, base OS + iApps install takes up would be nice for folks to judge by.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Library & system folders: 1.04g

iApps: 165meg

Apple installed utilities: 28megs

So, that makes about 1.2 gigs, give or take. It may be a little less than that b/c I've got some webserver stuff in my library folder that most people won't have and 2 additional languages. If you do a custom install, deselect all the languages you don't need and all the printer drivers you don't want, I bet you get it in a gig.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well I probably want to get a larger hard drive and more RAM anyway, since I'll still be using it in college - unless I want to just run OS 9 on it, in which case I could stick with my current setup.

Maybe I'll just keep it how it is or replace the system software with OS 9, and then I'll get a larger hard drive and more RAM once I can afford it. After buying a nice desktop system, I can't afford much more in the way of upgrades, but a 4-6 GB drive and 256 MB of RAM shouldn't cost too much.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

I'm a moderator.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So you say, from where I'm sitting it says "unregistered"!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    It might be hard to find hard drives smaller than 10GB nowdays, and even those tend to be around $80 or less.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Clive:

<strong>

So you say, from where I'm sitting it says "unregistered"!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just you wait, monkey-boy...