Restrictions drove U2 to switch sides from Apple to RIM - report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's penchant for keeping its partners out of the loop reportedly cost the company its relationship with alternative rock band U2, which recently drew sponsorship from rival smartphone market Research in Motion.

According to a report in the GlobeAndMail, Toronto-based radio DJ Alan Cross recently came face-to-face with Bono following a secret concert in Boston where he struck up a conversation with the U2 frontman about the band's new partnership with RIM.

"I'm very excited about this," Bono is reported to have said. "Research In Motion is going to give us what Apple wouldn't -- access to their labs and their people so we can do something really spectacular."

Asked whether this had something to do with a new application U2 wanted to create to allow fans to interact with the band as part of its "U2 360" tour, Bono reportedly said, "You're not far off," before disappearing into a crowd of people.

Last month, U2 announced that the new tour -- expected to be its biggest yet -- would be sponsored by Research In Motion's BlackBerry line of smartphones, distancing itself from its one-time ally in the iPod maker.

"This tour announcement marks the first stage of a relationship and shared vision between RIM and U2 that we expect will lead to new and innovative ways to enhance the mobile music experience on the BlackBerry platform for U2 fans," said U2's manager Paul McGuinness. "We look forward to sharing more details as the relationship unfolds."

In October 2004 Apple and the band hosted a special event together to introduce the new black and red iPod U2 Special Edition.

"U2 is one of the greatest bands in the world and we are floored to be working with them," Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said at the time. "We just want to make some innovative products together, and we hope U2 fans will love having their very own special edition iPod."

An advertisement for U2's upcoming tour | Image courtesy of U2365.com.

The partnership continued to blossom the following year when U2 helped launch the new iPod video with an ad campaign featuring a live music video for the track "Original of the Species." In June 2006, yet another product emerged as a result of the partnership: a U2 branded video iPod.

U2's Bono was also believed to be instrumental in compelling Apple to release several (Product) Red-braned iPods (1, 2, 3, 4), a portion of the sales of which went to help benefit the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    You're Fi(red).
  • Reply 2 of 110
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bono

Research In Motion is going to give us what Apple wouldn't -- access to their labs and their people so we can do something really spectacular.

WTF?

Why the heck would they need access to the labs? Is Bono a scientist now?

I predict this switch will be the last nail in U2's coffin. They are already ancient and mostly irrelevant. Switching from the cool brand to the un-cool brand is all it will take to make anyone younger than 50 or so think twice about buying their albums.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    F U Bono.

With your big glasses to match that big head of yours.
  • Reply 4 of 110
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Bono: Sign up for the Developer Program, hire some actual developers and designers. Have them interact with the iPhone Program. Deal with it. The fact you think you deserve the royal treatment and got rebuked should tell you that U2 is puny compared to Apple.

Grow up and pay your taxes lad. Stop cheating the government of your fair share and then parading around about how cruel governments are by not giving back more money.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    When are people going to stop calling U2 alternative? How exactly is arguably the world's most popular band not mainstream? Further, they had about 4 albums out before the "alternative" genre even existed.

I wonder if this was really about Apple's unwillingness to cooperate with a partner (gee, sounds familiar) or RIM simply offering U2 a better deal. Thoughts?
  • Reply 6 of 110
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    I'm still trying to figure out why this news matters.

Bono could use a freaking cup with string for all I care.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Not dissing the story, I think it's interesting. But does it matter? Did U2 drive that many iPod sales? Will anyone buy a Blackberry over an iPhone or iPod because of U2 ??

Looking forward, as the Apple system becomes further entrenched in the living room with iPhone Remote, Airport Express, and Apple TV, I see the need for this kind of promotion fading quickly.

Once upon a time iPods needed something to distinguish themselves. Now - with millions of users up to their elbows in iTunes the need is greatly diminished.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I am a Mac die hard and always have been and always will be.

If I were not friends with someone who has had direct interaction with Apple from a business standpoint, I would not feel as I do. Which is, Apple is very, very difficult to deal with in a business to business manner. This in no way means that Apple is not great and all that it touches turns to gold. In fact, I would say that this move on U2's part will not help them (U2) and in fact may hurt them, but I don't blame them. You would think that if a band with the sales, clout and charitable agenda that U2 has, came to Apple with the goal of being creative, that Apple would say "yeah, lets see what we can do." But, from what I have heard, they just are not good collaborators.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    Of course the decision by U2 to switch sides has nothing whatsoever to do with the amount of money they were offered by RIM? Bono makes me sick, he bangs on about all that RED bollocks yet doesn't pay his taxes and expects everyone else to fund his charities why he seal major commercial deals for his own benefit.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dude abides View Post

When are people going to stop calling U2 alternative? How exactly is arguably the world's most popular band not mainstream? Further, they had about 4 albums out before the "alternative" genre even existed.

It's been 25 years now, dude. Time to just shake your head and stop caring.

I gave up on the term "graphic novel" years ago. It's just a big comic book, for fuck's sake. (Dammit, I guess I should practice what I preach.)
  • Reply 11 of 110
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I don't think Apple sells any product(red) products anymore, do they?
  • Reply 12 of 110
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I don't think Apple sells any product(red) products anymore, do they?

yeah they do. "product [red]" might have originally been a U2 initiative but it's far bigger then them now.

All U2 has done for Apple is make them produce the ugliest iPod colour scheme ever (the U2 iPod). It will be very interesting to see what they end up doing with Riim that is so cool that Apple refused to help them out with.

I predict that it will be nothing much at all.
  • Reply 13 of 110
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I predict this switch will be the last nail in U2's coffin. They are already ancient and mostly irrelevant. Switching from the cool brand to the un-cool brand is all it will take to make anyone younger than 50 or so think twice about buying their albums.

Deluded fanboi consumerism at its finest.
  • Reply 14 of 110
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

WTF?

Why the heck would they need access to the labs? Is Bono a scientist now?

My god- your venom is in high gear. They are an iconic rock band- like it or not. Last month every Apple fan boy here was making excuses that there was nothing wrong, Apple doesn't sponsor concerts- blah, blah, blah. Money talks and bullshit walks.
  • Reply 15 of 110
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

yeah they do. "product [red]" might have originally been a U2 initiative but it's far bigger then them now.

All U2 has done for Apple is make them produce the ugliest iPod colour scheme ever (the U2 iPod). It will be very interesting to see what they end up doing with Riim that is so cool that Apple refused to help them out with.

I predict that it will be nothing much at all.

Whatever it is I'm sure you'll hate it because it's not with Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 110
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Good riddance, I was pissed at Apple partnering with them in the first place. I would seriously rather listen to Soulja Boy.

The 11 worst songs of 2004
  • Reply 17 of 110
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Whatever it is I'm sure you'll hate it because it's not with Apple.

And you'll have something snarky to say because it is.
  • Reply 18 of 110
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I like that U2 and RIM have a "shared vision." Because I think corporate "rock" is awesome.
  • Reply 19 of 110
    Look if apple wants to be arrogant let them that is after all what they do best. I have used mac's since 85' so I am a die hard but this is how apple ruins relationships.

for those of you who think this is a nail in the coffin of U2.. you really do not have much of a brain or pay much attention to the music industry. U2 are far from dead and one of the most respected group of individuals outside of the industry as well.
  • Reply 20 of 110
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    It would be interesting to find out what kind of technological contribution U2 can provide for Apple.