Microsoft's latest ad attacks Mac aesthetics, computing power

Comments

• Reply 401 of 520
    mitzmitz Posts: 44member
    Heres an idea, instead of telling me I'm wrong and directing me to wikapedia. Why not give me the specs on an Apple that matches those specs in the home computer line? Seriously give me some descent apple specs... honestly...I just got off the Apple page and can say there isnt anything outside the 2500 dollar mac pro that compares. Given, the specs on that are great but I didnt realize we were talking about super computers.... In the home computer arena you have to spend 2200 bucks to get equivalent specs. MY GOD. How can you be serious? I mean given it's a nice looking computer and OSX is a descent operating system. But if your going to tell me I'm wrong at least back it up with some info.
  • Reply 402 of 520
    robonerdrobonerd Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitz View Post

Heres an idea, instead of telling me I'm wrong and directing me to wikapedia. Why not give me the specs on an Apple that matches those specs in the home computer line? Seriously give me some descent apple specs... honestly...I just got off the Apple page and can say there isnt anything outside the 2500 dollar mac pro that compares. Given, the specs on that are great but I didnt realize we were talking about super computers.... In the home computer arena you have to spend 2200 bucks to get equivalent specs. MY GOD. How can you be serious? I mean given it's a nice looking computer and OSX is a descent operating system. But if your going to tell me I'm wrong at least back it up with some info.

To be brutally honest, I think you're going to get taken for a ride. You are approaching the purchase of a computer with the wrong frame of mind. The question isn't one of megabytes, bells, horns, and whistles. The question is, what do you need to do with that computer? What are you trying to accomplish? How much is your time worth?

A computer is a tool. That's the key point that I think many people miss. Ultimately the creative potential of that tool comes from you. The question is, which tool allows you to unlock that potential with fewer distractions and artificial work flow limitations?

That is why a Mac is worth more money to those of us who use them every day. My time is very valuable to me; I don't consider feeding the "message of the minute" popup balloons and performing OS maintenance "work". It's not like I get to bill for them. Give me something that stays out of my way and lets me get things done.
  • Reply 403 of 520
    Fair enough Robonerd. I really do understand why someone would want a Mac. I'm just frustrated with the bad wrap PCs get. Alot of Mac users don't even get the real differences between them.

I don't own a Mac. I have been tempted in the past to get one but I can't justify the price to myself.

Part of the reason I cant justify it is because I know whats under the hood. I completely get wanting something that will work 4 yrs from now as well as it did the day you bought it but given the price and low specs I just can't help but think maybe I'm getting taken for a ride. Honestly when I think of Mac I think of a computer company that gives you the proper specs for the basic use of it's operating system which is more than mid range dells and HPs do with Vista.

It is about OS(partially). Let me tell you though.....I don't use windows Vista but it is an operating system that got a bad wrap. People were trying to put it on machines(including manufacturers) that had no business putting an OS that uses so much system resource on machines that were barely adequate for xp.

I'm not saying they are bad machines any more than I'm saying Dells are good machines.
  • Reply 404 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Macs are special in that the OS is built around a very specific set of HW. Anyone can use this same basic HW, but that doesn't make it a Mac or give it the capability or running like a Mac. For your dream to come to fruition HW types would have to become greatly minimized, but there seems to be more and more popping up every day and new innovations sprouting up, which is why you have it backwards. Plus, there are many things you just can't do without specifically working with melding the OS with the HW to create a better UI and better user experience.

Exactly. A great deal of Windows problems stem from requiring it to run on so many different HW configurations. Then you have this driver not liking that driver, and so on.

Remember the nightmare called "Extensions Manager"?
  • Reply 405 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

The word is: Symbian. Wasn't your spell checker screaming at you? If you are going to try and insult someone, at least get the spelling correct.

I call it that as a tribute to Monkeyboy!

Seriously? Who cares? Symbian is HARDLY A HOUSEHOLD NAME. If it's got Winmob on there, then who in their right mind would want it. Precisely no one.
  • Reply 406 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2kunlimited View Post

He meant anything you can get in a mac that cost $650. Are there any Mac that come close to that price?O yes...the mini. I guess you would prefer the mini over the spec that mitz have. Probably for the stylish looking lunch box and the great OSX.

Exactly. That, plus the Mac mini:
    • is much more compact

• is near-silent

• is much more energy efficient

• includes Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

• includes 802.11n WiFi

• includes FireWire 800

• includes iLife '09

• includes optical audio I/O

...and is pre-assembled!
  • Reply 407 of 520
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

• is much more compact

• is near-silent

• includes 802.11n WiFi

• includes FireWire 800

• includes iLife '09

...and is pre-assembled!

Don't forget reliablility and support!

My next desktop computer will be a Mac Mini. No more bulky computer case to deal with, great support and reliability, runs OS X and Windows, great performance for the things I need to do. It'd be perfect for me. I'll probably get one once Snow Leopard is released.
  • Reply 408 of 520
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoboNerd View Post

Apple has a "zen"-like approach of keeping distractions to a minimum, breaking the user from his work flow only when absolutely necessary. They enforce this with strict UI standards for developers and tools within XCode to bring about a more consistent, low-key interface. The net effect of all this, plus the insistence on high-quality displays and interface hardware, creates a system that connects on a very deep human level in a near-symbiotic relationship. It's akin to a craftsman who has his one favorite tool; don't dare to make him use another one. The tool and the craftsman have become one. The same goes for a great computer interface and the user.

Very nicely put. The best marketing Macs ever had was the iPod. In a mature market that 'simple tasks done simply' philosophy wrapped in an aesthetically pleasing case swept the board. The iPod halo effect has been huge for Apple. For those in this thread that like to compare computers by drawing up lists of various components, consider Microsoft's go at making an mp3 player. I saw a teardown of a Zune that showed it was virtually identical, component for component, with the iPod. Despite that, the iPod continues to dominate the market and the Zune is just awaiting a quiet moment when it can be put out of its misery. So clearly the iPod experience is greater than the sum of the component parts, otherwise the Zune and iPod, identical price, virtually identical parts would sell roughly the same number of units.
  • Reply 409 of 520
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

My next desktop computer will be a Mac Mini. No more bulky computer case to deal with, great support and reliability, runs OS X and Windows, great performance for the things I need to do. It'd be perfect for me. I'll probably get one once Snow Leopard is released.

I've had a Mac Mini now for a couple of years and it's worked flawlessly constantly. It's been powerful enough for everything I've done, it's super quiet playing video, surfing, iTunes, iPhoto etc simultaneously and the wireless keyboard has been a delight to use. Everything on it has worked 24/7 without a single glitch. I bought it and used it without having any knowledge of Apple products, except a few visits to browse the Apple store. Everything I've wanted to use it for has been plainly obvious as to how to do. In fact I found it easier and quicker to use, even in the beginning, than I ever found windows XP. I actually now enjoy using a computer!

I should add it's been with me on numerous long trips, thrown wrapped up in a sweater into a rucksack without any loss of function.
  • Reply 410 of 520
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Actually, I compared a configured XPS M1330, marketed as one of the thinnest 13" notebooks on the market, and a top Macbook, also a very thin 13".

Dell XPS M1330

-2.6GHz, 800MHz Core 2 Duo, 4MB of cache

-Vista Ultimate 64-bit (the only way he'll ever use 4GB)

-LED screen, 13"

-4GB of DDR2, 800MHz, SDRAM

-8x DVD-RW

-128mb GeForce 8400M GS

-Wireless N mini-card

-2.0 Bluetooth EDR

-10/100 Network Card

-128 SSD

-Plastic Case full of stickers

-Lots of Useless Bells and Whistles

-Microsoft Works 9.0

Price: $2009,00

Apple Macbook

-2.4GHz, 1066MHz Core 2 Duo 3MB of cache (remember that Apple kind of underclocks most of its systems)

-Mac OS X Leopard, "Ultimate Edition"

-LED screen, 13"

-4GB of DDR3, 1066MHz, SDRAM

-8x DVD-DL

-512mb GeForce 9400M (it is confirmed that with more RAM, OS X liberates more space for the GPU)

-Airport card (a/b/g/n + some cool features)

-2.1 Bluetooth EDR

-10/100/100 Network Card

-128 SSD

-Aluminum Unibody Case

-Lots of Useful Bells and Whistles

-iLife

Price: $2074,00

With a Mac you get:

A comparable processor

Faster RAM

Dual Layer burning

A much superior GPU

Faster Networking and Bluetooth

A nicer looking, cleaner, and more resistant case

And of course, the greatest of all reasons to get a Mac:

OS X + iLife!

But of course, it is $65 more expensive, so Macs sux, right?
  • Reply 411 of 520
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

• is much more compact

• is near-silent

• includes 802.11n WiFi

• includes FireWire 800

• includes iLife '09

...and is pre-assembled!

Quote:

You forgot OS X! That is, as many people have already said, enough reason to pay a premium (that is, when there is a premium at all) to buy a Mac!
  • Reply 412 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Actually, I compared a configured XPS M1330, marketed as one of the thinnest 13" notebooks on the market, and a top Macbook, also a very thin 13".

Dell XPS M1330

-2.6GHz, 800MHz Core 2 Duo, 4MB of cache

-Vista Ultimate 64-bit (the only way he'll ever use 4GB)

-LED screen, 13"

-4GB of DDR2, 800MHz, SDRAM

-8x DVD-RW

-128mb GeForce 8400M GS

-Wireless N mini-card

-2.0 Bluetooth EDR

-10/100 Network Card

-128 SSD

-Plastic Case full of stickers

-Lots of Useless Bells and Whistles

-Microsoft Works 9.0

Price: $2009,00

Apple Macbook

-2.4GHz, 1066MHz Core 2 Duo 3MB of cache (remember that Apple kind of underclocks most of its systems)

-Mac OS X Leopard, "Ultimate Edition"

-LED screen, 13"

-4GB of DDR3, 1066MHz, SDRAM

-8x DVD-DL

-512mb GeForce 9400M (it is confirmed that with more RAM, OS X liberates more space for the GPU)

-Airport card (a/b/g/n + some cool features)

-2.1 Bluetooth EDR

-10/100/100 Network Card

-128 SSD

-Aluminum Unibody Case

-Lots of Useful Bells and Whistles

-iLife

Price: $2074,00

With a Mac you get:

A comparable processor

Faster RAM

Dual Layer burning

A much superior GPU

Faster Networking and Bluetooth

A nicer looking, cleaner, and more resistant case

And of course, the greatest of all reasons to get a Mac:

OS X + iLife!

But of course, it is $65 more expensive, so Macs sux, right?

Comparing an over priced piece of garbage laptop to a solid but overpriced laptop doesn't say much. Sure if you gave me only the coice between that Mac and the Dell, I'd take the Mac. If you gave me a choice between Alienware or shuttle VS. a Mac. We would be having a much different conversation.

Thats the problem. Dell is not by any stretch of the imagination the top computer maker for laptops. Your comparison doesn't show anything of any substance.

Here, for 1399.00 you can own an Alienware M17

# ntel® Core?2 Extreme Quad (4 cores)

# ATI CrossFireX? Dual Graphics (mucho better Graphics)

# 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 Memory

# 1TB Hard Drive Capacity

# Extreme High Def Video and Audio

Over 600.00 dollars cheaper than the Mac.

Or for 1999.99 you can have a small Shuttle PC With much better specs than your macs.

Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® processor or Intel® Core?2 Extreme processor

\tYour choice of single or dual NVIDIA® Quadro® FX graphic cards

\tPCI Express Gen 2.0 with ATI CrossFireX? Technology

\tDolby® Digital Live! and DTS connect surround sound

\tBuilt-in PCI Express Mini Card Slot; supports Optional Intel® Turbo Memory*

\t80 PLUS® certified power supply

\tAll solid capacitors motherboard design to ensure durability

\tDynamic Over-clocking Technology

\tUp to 2.2TB of Internal Storage Capacity*

\tUp To 8GB of DDR2 Memory*

\t

\tDimensions

(D) 12.8" x (W) 8.6" x (H) 8.2"
  • Reply 413 of 520
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    They just can't comprehend that the Mac experience goes beyond just the "specs", can they?
  • Reply 414 of 520
    Quote:

They just can't comprehend that the Mac experience goes beyond just the "specs", can they?

It's like talking to Jehovah Witnesses. There is no experience, it's an OS. It runs what you want it to run. Mac has a brilliant PR and Marketing department that has made you think there is an "experience". Also the whole Easter bunny thing isn't real either. You are perfect money making machines. It's scary to think this is how religion works.

I just want one of you to admit that you really like the OS but on the tech side Apple could be beefed up a bit(alot) for the price. Why are you happy about spending so much for a mid level computer with a nice OS?

You realize that if you priced out Apple components separately and they sold the OS separately the whole thing would cost so much less. I guess that what Hackentoshes are all about. With comparisons on PCs with equal specs, on average your paying between $800 and $1000 for just the OS.

Really you are getting taken advantage of. You should be flaming mad.
  • Reply 415 of 520
    lol, I'm getting mad for you.
  • Reply 416 of 520
    Quote:

Or for 1999.99 you can have a small Shuttle PC With much better specs than your macs.

Mitz, here an idea: The next time you need to buy a car, make sure you do it from catalog. No test drives allowed.

I'm sure you'll make a fine, fully informed choice.
  • Reply 417 of 520
    Quote:

I just want one of you to admit that you really like the OS

I really like the OS.

Quote:

but on the tech side Apple could be beefed up a bit(alot) for the price.

But on the tech side (I presume you mean "hardware side"), Apple offers even more bang-for-the-buck.

Quote:

You realize that if you priced out Apple components separately and they sold the OS separately the whole thing would cost so much less.

No it wouldn't. Build your "Mac," leaving nothing out. Unfortunately, you won't be able to match the case or the motherboard, but do the best you can.

Report your results here.
  • Reply 418 of 520
    Quote:

That is the REAL point of all of this discussion now isn't it? It is certainly not about hardware because functionally, it is basically all very similar. In the end it is the OS, that is OS X. Frankly, I could care less if my computer hardware was a squirrel cage and a solar panel with a CRT display, as long as it ran OS X.

You hit that nail right on the head...
  • Reply 419 of 520
    So I had to make due with some parts that aren't mac proprietary but when I couldn't find an exact match I over estimated what the spec is.

Most of this was found on Newegg.com

The Mac I based this on was the $2199.00

I built it for $1594.94

I fudged the casing because I couldn't get actual Imac case, I estimated $200.00 for one.... I could be wrong and it could be closer to $300....educated guess....

The PSU, Wireless N, and Heat Sink I guessed at as I know how much these typicaly cost for PC.

PSU-$50.00

Wireless N-$50.00

Heat Sink- $30.00

I allowed for $150.00 for the motherboard as this will get you a halfway descent one on a PC. $200 would get you a very kick ass one.

4 gb corsair 1066mhz ram. $129.99 (this is Mac Ram)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail - $189.99

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

-$159.99

Sony Optiarc Slim Combo Black SATA Model CRX890S-10 - OEM

?\t 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW

?\t 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-ROM

?\t 2MB Cache

-$34.99

GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-512I GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

-$119.99

(This card has aprox. same specs as IMac but is external as oposed to being integrated.)

Acer G24 Orange 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

-$379.99

(not my favorite looking monitor but it's nice looking for price and close enough for par)

-IMac- $2199.00

-PC with IMac Specs-$1594.94

Difference of 604.06

Check it out....I think I was being more than fair with my pricing. I personaly think I added atleast $200.00 of unneeded stuff just so I wasn't accused of low balling.

Obviously apple pays much less for these components as they get wholesale.

I think this is relatively reasonable......
  • Reply 420 of 520
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post

That is the REAL point of all of this discussion now isn't it? It is certainly not about hardware because functionally, it is basically all very similar. In the end it is the OS, that is OS X. Frankly, I could care less if my computer hardware was a squirrel cage and a solar panel with a CRT display, as long as it ran OS X.

You hit that nail right on the head...

Trust me you would care if it was a squirrel in a cage with a solar panel, I promise you. I think you could deal with the CRT too though.