Question about Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So, are the rumors saying you have to have a 64-bit Intel processor to even run it? So, basically, anyone who bought a iMac with the 32-bit processor (like myself) will never be able to get another OS X, or anything from Apple? If thats true, it truly pisses me off.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Snow Leopard has been tested on 32-bit processors. Whether or not they release a compatible version remains to be seen but I think they will.

I don't expect them to release a PPC version and I could see why they'd skip the 32-bit version too. The 32-bit chips they used were introduced in January 2006 and phased out by November 2006 in all except the Mini, which changed in August 2007.

The 32-bit CPU machines also had the X1600 graphics chips or Intel integrated, which don't look like they will be compatible with OpenCL.

Putting it all together, it's perfectly possible that they won't support the older machines but if it allows them to focus on better support and not have to worry about keeping multiple versions of the OS in check then it works out better for the people who have newer machines.

In the end, Snow Leopard will be a big step forward to OS X not needing to be improved upon for a while. Computers probably won't go beyond 64-bit, SL will have built-in support for GPU programming and large numbers of processor cores. If they can keep this optimized and well supported, I don't think it matters if they don't offer it for older machines. People with older machines don't have to upgrade to the latest OS all the time and may not even see much of a benefit.

Like I say though, I think they will support all Intel Macs. If they don't, there's no harm selling your machine and buying a newer model with a full warranty.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    At this point no-one knows what Apple is going to do. We don't know if it will be 32bit/64bit or 64bit only, and we don't know if it will be Intel only or will allow PPC. I have good reason to believe that few people outside of Apple that know the answers to this. And probably most people inside of Apple don't know the answer either.

At this point hand-wringing about presumed answers to this sort of question are silly. Wait until the announcement to get worked up about this. Likely more will be known after the WWDC keynote, and not a minute before.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Yeah I agree. This really depends on how much driver support there will be for 64-bit. For Vista, there wasn't much, hence, most people still use 32-bit Vista.

The move to 64-bit will be gradual and announcements of 64-bit only will have to come EARLY so that vendors have time to prepare for the move. I don't see 64-bit only for Snow Leopard but could certainly see it for 10.7
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Snow Leopard has been tested on 32-bit processors. Whether or not they release a compatible version remains to be seen but I think they will.

I don't expect them to release a PPC version and I could see why they'd skip the 32-bit version too. The 32-bit chips they used were introduced in January 2006 and phased out by November 2006 in all except the Mini, which changed in August 2007.

The 32-bit CPU machines also had the X1600 graphics chips or Intel integrated, which don't look like they will be compatible with OpenCL.

Putting it all together, it's perfectly possible that they won't support the older machines but if it allows them to focus on better support and not have to worry about keeping multiple versions of the OS in check then it works out better for the people who have newer machines.

In the end, Snow Leopard will be a big step forward to OS X not needing to be improved upon for a while. Computers probably won't go beyond 64-bit, SL will have built-in support for GPU programming and large numbers of processor cores. If they can keep this optimized and well supported, I don't think it matters if they don't offer it for older machines. People with older machines don't have to upgrade to the latest OS all the time and may not even see much of a benefit.

Like I say though, I think they will support all Intel Macs. If they don't, there's no harm selling your machine and buying a newer model with a full warranty.

Yea, I might have to sell my iMac if this happens, which actually made me less mad. But lets hope if they are testing, that means they are going to release it...right?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

Yea, I might have to sell my iMac if this happens, which actually made me less mad. But lets hope if they are testing, that means they are going to release it...right?

The beta versions up until now work on 32-bit machines so yeah they'd have to remove that compatibility before the final version, which suggests it will probably ship compatible.

I think what will happen is they have two kernels, 32-bit and 64-bit along with the appropriate device drivers and it may install both but only boot from the one compatible with the machine used to boot it. Same with the device drivers. There may be an option to boot the 32-bit kernel on 64-bit machines in order to ensure compatibility with 3rd party drivers.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Did Apple even sell a Yonah (Core Duo) iMac?

I assume yes because I bought my Yonah Mac mini but I can't remember.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Did Apple even sell a Yonah (Core Duo) iMac?

I assume yes because I bought my Yonah Mac mini but I can't remember.

Yeah, the iMac was the first to move to Intel CPUs so it got the Core Duos. Like I say, the chips were largely phased out within about 10 months so there weren't many Core Duo models.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

Come November (rumored) I'll be looking into the new Nehalem-based Xeon MacBook Pros. I'll be e-baying my 17" Core 2 Duo. I'll keep you in mind.

For the pre- 2 Duo folks, I'm thinking Apple will still support 32 bit from 10.5.7 through 10.5.9, much like they handled Tiger & Panther. Most folks I run into haven't a clue as to how 32 vs 64 bit will have any impact on their day to day routine.

Apple is moving forward with their technology, and it's time to start squeezing the most out of the hardware.