Restrictions drove U2 to switch sides from Apple to RIM - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

U2 goes on and does something with RIM for the Blackberry, which will probably be something with less whiz-bang bells and whistles. However, Apple loses the promotional opportunity completely.

but then Apple turns around and hooks up with Coldplay,Kings of Leon or heck even the frakking Jonas Brothers. anyone that is deemed hip and cool by the buy for me generation and who cares about U2 and RIM anymore.

as for the rest of it, is anyone really shocked. Apple has ALWAYS demanded complete design control over all things connected to the company, guaranteed by the company, serviced by the company. this is why Verizon didn't get the iphone deal (they wanted say over the design), why you have to go through them to have a valid iphone app out there (forces you to use their installer etc), why the whole Mac Clone project was shut down and Apple holds onto their legal right to tie hardware and software like its the Holy Flipping Grail. No one that wants to play in Apple's sandbox gets to decide they would rather paint it a different color, put dirt in it instead of sand or put a tent over it when Apple doesn't want those things.

and if U2 wants to run off whining about Apple being mean to them, whatever. but they shouldn't be shocked by the reply given Apple's history
  • Reply 62 of 110
    LOL at all the hurt feelings. It's just business, kids.

Sent from my BlackBerry.
  • Reply 63 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Good riddance, I was pissed at Apple partnering with them in the first place. I would seriously rather listen to Soulja Boy.

The 11 worst songs of 2004

As I previously stated, the last good U2 release was Achtung Baby, after that Bono's head became filled with shit and they became formulaic, corporate rubbish...

I wonder how much of HIS OWN filthy lucre he has donated to charity, probably a lot less then someone like Jimmy Page who was made a member of the Order of the British Empire for his Brazilian charity work. Mr. Page didn't go around bragging about that, he just did it.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

Sent from my BlackBerry.

Almost made me shoot tea out of my nose laughing...
  • Reply 65 of 110
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Who cares?
  • Reply 66 of 110
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:

Sent from my BlackBerry.

HAHAHAHAHA

Quote:

Good riddance, I was pissed at Apple partnering with them in the first place. I would seriously rather listen to Soulja Boy.

I wouldn't. Soulja Boy is an artist with no talent, yet everyone listens to him... People will listen to anything nowadays. U2 is an artist that actually has talent. I'd much rather listen to them.

Sorry about the double post :O
  • Reply 67 of 110
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

thanks man! that made my day!

That was classic dry humor.
  • Reply 68 of 110
    The U2 iPod was ugly? No way! Best looking iPod up until the generation after that. I have one and I love it (though I don't use it much now because I rarely bother dragging both it and my iPhone along).

U2 irrelevant? Seriously? Wake up will 'ya?

I read some comments here talking about U2 as if they're arrogant SoB's, and the arguments used were things like one of their singles being called "Magnificent". How naive can you get? Even bother reading the lyrics? Of course it's not U2 calling themselves or what they do magnificent...

And I see a lot of people complaining about U2 not paying taxes... Well, they've been complaining quite a bit about how tax payers' money is being spent by the Irish government. That in mind, is it so strange that they'd rather keep as much of their money as possible themselves so that they can decide how it's spent? Some people even think it's hypocritical of U2 to encourage people, companies and governments to give more money, while U2 has tons of cash in the bank themselves. Well, U2 give a LOT of money away - and they give a lot of their TIME to raise a lot of money for various great causes. What do you want them to do, give all their money away and just call it a night? Would you rather give away $10 million today, or $2 million per year the next 30 years?

It's depressing how so few people stop and think things through these days...
  • Reply 69 of 110
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    All this is BS. First, Bono is good friends with Fred Anderson, Apple's disgraced CFO. Fred runs Bono's company Elevation Partners. Fred was pissed Jobs didn't stick up for him over the options thing. That seemed to be the end of Apple's relationship with Bono. Second, Bono's deal with RIM is about money and nothing more. Apple isn't in the pay big money for big band's support. It doesn't need them.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    stashmanstashman Posts: 90member
  • Reply 71 of 110
    wordwisewordwise Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Asked whether this had something to do with a new application U2 wanted to create to allow fans to interact with the band as part of its "U2 360" tour, Bono reportedly said, "You're not far off," before disappearing into a crowd of people.

I think it's a planted article. How does buddy the reporter know about a "new application U2 wants to create"...? Just sounds a little too contrived...
  • Reply 72 of 110
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Well I'm not that happy with U2 latest album though, I prefer their old songs! and Apple has always been "no outsiders" policy. Even some google guy was asked to get out from the room when they are discussing iPhone related.
  • Reply 73 of 110
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Sent from my BlackBerry.

Exactly. My guess is U2 demanded more and Apple said no. No matter plenty more musicians out there. Personally I only liked Joshua Tree. After that is was all the same.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Reply 74 of 110
    I can't help myself. But I think it's pretty obvious what this is about.

Apple NEVER sponsors concert tours. They hardly sponsor technical tours from products that fit with the Mac beautifully (especially compared to Microsoft and Intel. How many Adobe seminars ETC have been put on by Intel and Microsoft).

So here's what happened...(I would bet a million iPods on this).

U2 is looking for a corporate sponsor. They ask Apple. Well, they have their people call Apple's people. Apple says No. We don't do that stuff. It's not tied to our brand. We don't spend money that way. The iPod, the iPhone and Apple will not be a corporate sponsor.

So U2's people head over to the RIM folks who are dying to do anything to be taken as a serious product outside of the corporate IT nerd-world.

And a deal is made.

So there you have it. The very innovative, creative, amazing (cough, cough) Blackberry will sponsor U2's tour to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. And Bono can have his App on the Blackberry that let's fans see backstage pictures from U2's tour...or some other fan boy crap.
  • Reply 75 of 110
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

All this is BS. First, Bono is good friends with Fred Anderson, Apple's disgraced CFO. Fred runs Bono's company Elevation Partners. Fred was pissed Jobs didn't stick up for him over the options thing. That seemed to be the end of Apple's relationship with Bono. Second, Bono's deal with RIM is about money and nothing more. Apple isn't in the pay big money for big band's support. It doesn't need them.

Interesting ... I didn't know that, it makes more sense now.
  • Reply 76 of 110
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

WTF?

Why the heck would they need access to the labs? Is Bono a scientist now?

I predict this switch will be the last nail in U2's coffin. They are already ancient and mostly irrelevant. Switching from the cool brand to the un-cool brand is all it will take to make anyone younger than 50 or so think twice about buying their albums.

Hey dipshit, "labs" is just another term for "the studio" or "workplace" or whatever. It's ok if you hate U2. They don't care.
  • Reply 77 of 110
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Apple didn't want to pay more money. Bono wanted more money. Whatever. If this is true, it's just business. People who have millions just want to make more millions. That's usually the case. You think Steve Jobs cried when he lost U2. No. You think Bono had a hard time letting Apple go. No. It goes both ways.
  • Reply 78 of 110
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Uhm, I think people are reading way too much into this. One, Blackberry is sponsoring the Tour. Apple is not known for sponsoring Tours. Two, Bono is a partner in Elevation Partners, majority owners of Palm. Three, Fred Anderson is a partner of Bono's in Elevation Partners, and Fred was responsible for the backdated options scandal, according to the SEC.

I highly doubt Apple will be doing too much with U2, at the moment. However, blaming Apple for a soured relationship is nonsense. Bono got into bed with Elevation Partners first. It's Bono who essentially cut ties with Apple.
  • Reply 79 of 110
    toddjtoddj Posts: 6member
    Quote:

so have you actually listened to any of the songs on "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" or did you just look up the lyrics to mock them? why would you dedicate that much time to something you dislike? and Soulja Boy? if you want to confuse a rapper, just ask them to spell something correctly....that will probably make their head explode. you probably like eminem too..
  • Reply 80 of 110
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToddJ View Post

so have you actually listened to any of the songs on "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" or did you just look up the lyrics to mock them? why would you dedicate that much time to something you dislike? and Soulja Boy? if you want to confuse a rapper, just ask them to spell something correctly....that will probably make their head explode. you probably like eminem too..

There you go, Toddj. Way to register on an Apple enthusiast site to defend the honor of U2 against illiterate rappers and, um, people who do not use their time wisely.

I vote that Apple Insider secede from Google.