iPod vending machine

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer claims to have over 21,000 distribution points for its iPod digital music player and growing. Here's the 21,001st: a vending machine located at Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport in Georgia.

With a swipe of your credit card, the Zoom Shop machine -- also stocking batteries, digital cameras, and other photo accessories -- will be willing to serve up an iPod mini or shuffle. And the best part: there's no checkout lines or pesky Apple sales staff pushing you to invest in an AppleCare extended warranty.

(flickr photo/ File)

A similar machine has also been spotted at San Francisco International Airport, with several others likely located at other major airports throughout the United States.

At one point Apple had hinted that its mini retail store concept may make a nice fit for airport terminals and busy international rail stations. But we had no idea they'd be able to shrink the stores into staff-less 6-foot wide space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    chuckeroochuckeroo Posts: 15member
    Hmmmm, pretty cool but...

If you are already at the airport, where

the heck are you going to get music to put on

the sucker? In addition, unless you have

a pretty decent layover, how are you going to

charge it?

Will probably still sell a bit, but not quite as

good of fit as the digital cameras...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    powermanpowerman Posts: 6member
    I hope these machines don't drop the merchandise like regular vending machines drop sodas. Having a Dr. Pepper explode on you is bad enough.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Pardon me, but if I may issue a correction: It's Hartzfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. They're very particular about that now
  • Reply 4 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chuckeroo

the sucker?

Via your iTunes enabled Motorola phone...in 2007
  • Reply 5 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Putting tunes on it? Thats not the point. This is the-last-chance-to-buy-the-kids-a-present-from-the-holiday.

If they have any whit they have placed it in the luggage arrival zone.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    belisamabelisama Posts: 5member
    I totally see the last-minute-gift point of view, but what about pre-loading them with, say, 25-30 songs (don't they come with an iTunes coupon these days anyway?). You could have genre choices- rock, pop, alternative, oldies, country, etc., etc. And if your at the airport the hour or more that you're supposed to be these days you can hook it up to the many outlets I've seen around the terminals. Apple would just need to do the initial charge at the factory.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

where the heck are you going to get music to put on

the sucker?

Remember Yao Ming, Mini Me and the Who Let the Dogs Out ibook guy?

From the laptop on your seatback tray, of course!

--B
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Very impressive!

Now all we need is iPod shuffles on Happy Meals.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    imeime Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Hmmmm, pretty cool but...

the sucker? In addition, unless you have

a pretty decent layover, how are you going to

charge it?

Will probably still sell a bit, but not quite as

good of fit as the digital cameras...

They could have vendors in the airports selling the music or have the iPod preloaded with some music.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    what about if you have your laptop loaded with all your music and you just left your iPod at home? then all you have to do is plug it into your laptop and put your music on there.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    These machines are all over the place. Since 2007, I've seen them:

Macy's in Downtown Cincinnati

Dallas Airport

Okay, that's all I can think of, but I'm certain I've seen them elsewhere.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac View Post

These machines are all over the place. Since 2007, I've seen them:

Macy's in Downtown Cincinnati

Dallas Airport

Okay, that's all I can think of, but I'm certain I've seen them elsewhere.

I almost posted the same thing before I noticed the date of the original post.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue.machine View Post

The machine also vended headphones, Airports Express, PSP games, and various other electronic sundries. Macy's was paying attention to the success of iPod vending machines at international airports and hotels and decided to add them to about 400 of their own...

Most of the merchandise in the one at Hartsfield are those various "peripherals:" your headphones, usb cables, power adapters, etcs. There are only a couple of slots with iPods.