Restrictions drove U2 to switch sides from Apple to RIM - report

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpompi View Post

Sorry guys, I never post to sites, but I went through this entire thread and couldn't believe no one mentioned "PopMart"!!!!

U2 has somehow gotten this halo as being above it all, but the truth is, they are just a bunch of guys who make music. half the band doesn't even have last names!

When they go out to do a tour they have a choice. Pay for all the sets, travel costs, etc. by themselves or get someone else to pay for it.

A few years back Kmart was desperately trying to stay afloat and so, rather than invest money to improve it's single largest asset (it's stores!) they threw money into a U2 tour, complete with giant launch ceremony in which Bono promised to change the perception of Kmart amongst the youth of America!!!

For those who don't know, Kmart went bankrupt then sold out to Sears.

My take on all of this is that RIM, though doing well financially, is desperate to break out of it's predominately corporate user base. They saw an opportunity to throw money at the problem to address a "younger" crowd, and they did. U2, happy to offload the costs of giving their fans what they want (and rake in the revenues while doing it!) jumped at the chance. The sound bite from Bono (no last name) about access tot he labs sounds an awful lot like how Bono was going to turn Kmart around.

It's the U2 "Reality Distortion Field"!!!

The bottom line is that fans will get cheap ($150) tickets to a very expensive show at the cost of having to be inundated with Blackberry hype, including a really cute during the show in-which The Edge (no last name) text's 3 lucky crowd-members, who get signed Blackberry's, in a cutting-edge black and red motif.

And then they'll go back to buying the phone they like, because media saturation has cut marketing effectiveness to 1% of what it was 10 years ago.

There. I am glad I got that out of my system. Thanks to both of you that bothered to read it.

Excuse me but tickets for giants stadium, top tier were selling for over $250 with all the ticketmeister crap loaded on!
  • Reply 102 of 110
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Apple never sponsored their prior tour, all they did was make a U2 inspired iPod.
  • Reply 103 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

My mom believes that Bono is a spy. Funny.

My wife's girlfriend's mother was hit on by Bono and lured backs stage with him. My wife's girlfriend now despises him for being such a pig. She screams obscenities whenever he is mentioned or U2's music plays.

Heehee, that bastard. I gotta love him for it!
  • Reply 104 of 110
    spiffy1spiffy1 Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

WTF?

Why the heck would they need access to the labs? Is Bono a scientist now?

I predict this switch will be the last nail in U2's coffin. They are already ancient and mostly irrelevant. Switching from the cool brand to the un-cool brand is all it will take to make anyone younger than 50 or so think twice about buying their albums.

Wow, what a bunch of douches post here!

If we rounded up all you self-centered, slack jawed, pasty f*cks and erased all traces of your existence, it would be a net benefit to humankind. Bono on the other hand, aside from what you think of him as a musician (damm good one), has used his fame to promote many worthy causes. I didn't realize he pressured Apple to do the product (Red) iPods. That's cool. Fcuk all you all bitches!
  • Reply 105 of 110
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I wonder if Bono's blackberry app will be better than Trent Reznor's iPhone app.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009...reznor-wa.html
  • Reply 106 of 110
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I wonder if Bono's blackberry app will be better than Trent Reznor's iPhone app.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009...reznor-wa.html

Already linked to that a few posts up.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spiffy1 View Post

Wow, what a bunch of douches post here!

If we rounded up all you self-centered, slack jawed, pasty f*cks and erased all traces of your existence, it would be a net benefit to humankind. Bono on the other hand, aside from what you think of him as a musician (damm good one), has used his fame to promote many worthy causes. I didn't realize he pressured Apple to do the product (Red) iPods. That's cool. Fcuk all you all bitches!

Based on this post of yours, I'd say that you're the douchbag.
  • Reply 108 of 110
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Already linked to that a few posts up.

Oops. Missed it skimming past a bunch of junk posts.

I like your comment too. I would like to know what U2 wanted to do that is so

above and beyond what NIN did (which sounds pretty cool for their fans). It

gives me the impression that U2 (Bono) just wanted to be treated like privileged

characters.
  • Reply 109 of 110
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

Excuse me but tickets for giants stadium, top tier were selling for over $250 with all the ticketmeister crap loaded on!

That's pathetic. Too bad you didn't see them in their prime for roughly $25.

Hell, I saw Van Halen [Hagar], The Scorpions, Metallica [And Justice for All], Dokken and Kingdome Come all for $35 at The Monsters of Rock in 1988.

That was money well spent.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Oops. Missed it skimming past a bunch of junk posts.

No worries! I'm just rarely first out of the gate with relevant news!

Quote:

like your comment too. I would like to know what U2 wanted to do that is so

above and beyond what NIN did (which sounds pretty cool for their fans). It

gives me the impression that U2 (Bono) just wanted to be treated like privileged

characters.

Yep. I guess we'll see what RIM and U2 have cooked up, but if I had to guess I would say something much like NIN is doing. And even if it involves something new and different, I'm willing to bet it won't be anything that a developer couldn't have done, once someone decided that such functionality was called for.

This talk of getting "access to the labs" just strikes me as foolish. Cool programmers don't have to go begging for special privileges, they use the available tools and make cool stuff.

It's sort of like a musician making a big deal out of his custom, just-for-him-special-edition-check-out-the-paint-job guitar and coming off like kind of a tool, when a real musician is tearing it up on his beat to shit old axe.