Apple addressing cracks on white MacBooks casings

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

No surprise here! Apple is famous for cracks!

Please don't quote the ENTIRE ARTICLE (or message) when you reply. It's just not necessary, man.

Also, shut up already. You are an idiot.
  • Reply 22 of 107
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumbler View Post

I've got an unsightly crack in the plastic on my Macbook's palm rest. I'm out of warranty by now. You think I could I bring this into the Apple store to have it repaired? Who is the "provider" referred to above that would be inspecting this and escalating for coverage by Apple?

I took two MacBooks into the Apple store a month or so and they replaced the cracked tops and offered to replace the cracked shell of another. One was out of warranty. Just take it up to the "Genius" bar.

I have to complement Apple's service in this respect.
  • Reply 23 of 107
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Please don't quote the ENTIRE ARTICLE (or message) when you reply.

It's just not necessary, man.

No problem!
  • Reply 24 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I took two MacBooks into the Apple store a month or so and they replaced the cracked tops and offered to replace the cracked shell of another. One was out of warranty. Just take it up to the "Genius" bar.

I have to complement Apple's service in this respect.

I agree the staff at the store are amazing
  • Reply 25 of 107
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

they're all out today. They love when problems surface with Apple products, because when problems arise with other another company's products there is no forum to complain about them. Apple actually has people dedicated enough to their products who create forums. I don't know what the point of Apple-bashing is when you are in sites created BY and FOR apple fans...trolls are constantly shocked and appalled at the number of people who like Apple - they don't stop and realize they're on a site dedicated to Apple fans. Go to engadget or gizmodo or somewhere else that isn't explicitly Apple-centric. I'm sure you'll find more sympathetic readers. Better yet, go to Dell Insider...oh wait it doesn't exist...well, then try TUDW...oh wait, it doesn't exist....etc

So? Let them come out and play. Most of them are motivated by sheer jealousy. And some of them have all the bigger mouths, because for the very first time since 2001, they finally have an OS that *might be* nearly as friendly and usable as OS X. Of course, that still remains to be seen; we saw all of PC geekdom rave about Windows Vista right before its release. And we all know what happened.

XP was garbage the day it came out, but it's interesting that legions and legions of Windows users couldn't wait to switch back to it. I've always found that hilarious.

Don't forget that a lot of these PC users decry Apple hardware when they don't have a lot of money to spend, but as soon as they save up enough, they're out buying Macbooks and Macbook Pros, and are posting around here about how they "switched."

There are really two types of *informed* computer users out there:

1. Mac users

2. Those who are going to be Mac users.

That's the way it's always been. So don't sweat the trolls. Everything they say is actually a compliment.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

inducive? You're saying the plastic itself directly "causes or influences" the cracks? I think you mean normal circumstances are "conducive" enough to cause cracks in the plastics. The plastic itself doesn't cause the cracks.

The thermal nuclear heat causes the cracks. I said it was scratch inducive not crack inducive.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

I agree the staff at the store are amazing

There are a lot of these experiences. Apple Stores are great to deal with.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:

200+ fixes YEAKS!

At least the OS evolves at a normal rate, instead of a 9 year old WinXP being preferred over either of microsoft's two latest offerings.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Apple designs and makes products that scratch so you buy it again and again and again because it does not wear well.

I am glad they got sued and lost in court for the 25$ million.

More suits need to follow!

If any course ever needs a prime example of planned obsolecence surely there would be a picture of an iPod.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Don't forget that a lot of these PC users decry Apple hardware when they don't have a lot of money to spend, but as soon as they save up enough, they're out buying Macbooks and Macbook Pros, and are posting around here about how they "switched."

I used Windows all my life up until August 2008. I had the first gen iPhone and loved it. I owned several iPods and loved it. I decided to take the plunge and come to Mac.

My first iMac 24" 3.06 GHz I bought had a yellowish tinge on the bottom left corner. I was shocked. I called Apple and they advised me to exchange it. I went to google and found out it was a gradient issue that has plagued all iMacs from 2007 onwards! So I exchanged it again and again and again. All had uneven backlighting issues, burnt pixels etc etc.

I get constant Time Machine Backup Errors - Apple is aware of this issue. My second keyboard Caps light goes off randomly - a known issue... Google it.

My problems with Mac has been good! Far more than my HP and Dell!!!

iPhone 3G - dust, light leaks and cracks!

How do you expect me to feel? I CAN afford Mac. I thought I was buying a quality product. I was wrong.

So ya Microsoft, HP and Dell may have issues, but so does Apple. End of Case.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And??

Some of you should take better care of your stuff.

Hi! Thanks for your idiotic remark. If you hadn't failed reading comprehension in grade school you might have noticed that the article said the problem occurred with normal use.

Or do you mean we should wrap them in plastic, like your grandma's sofa?
  • Reply 32 of 107
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If any course ever needs a prime example of planned obsolecence surely there would be a picture of an iPod.

My 30GB 3G iPod is still going strong after five years of heavy use. Yes, it's on its third battery, but still. Suits my needs just fine, even if I would like a little more capacity.

The more pressing problem with MacBooks to me is the inordinately high failure rate of their hard drives. Seems like clockwork that the stock drives fail after 2 - 2.5 years. I'm proactively replacing/upgrading drives now to avoid unplanned downtime - thankfully those 2.5" 320GB 7200RPM Hitachi drives are fast and cheap and the MacBook is a million times easier to get into than the iBooks were.

Coincidentally, a few friends/clients who took their MacBooks to the Genius Bar to get their dead hard drives replaced also ended up getting their mildly cracked top-cases and shells replaced without even asking for it. I think Apple's been proactive about making those replacements for some time, but they have not exactly splashed out the news on the front page of www.apple.com.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    dineshdinesh Posts: 3member
    Yea I have like 5 cracks on my MacBook... 1st Gen...

Here are some pictures:

• Reply 34 of 107
    that is what i call excellent crApple
  • Reply 35 of 107
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Quote:

You seem to be either jealous of Apple, or you simply have absolutely nothing else to do other than bash them. Probably a combination of both.

Apple does seem to have problems with the plastic they use, it is very hard which seems to make it brittle and prone to cracking. I have however only seen it on one MacBook, out of many.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

You seem to be either jealous of Apple, or you simply have absolutely nothing else to do other than bash them. Probably a combination of both.

Apple does seem to have problems with the plastic they use, it is very hard which seems to make it brittle and prone to cracking. I have however only seen it on one MacBook, out of many.

I like Apple. But not impressed with the QC!
  • Reply 37 of 107
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

no surprise here! Apple is famous for cracks!

Does apple ever produce a product without a problem?

Quote:

apple designs and makes products that scratch so you buy it again and again and again because it does not wear well.

I am glad they got sued and lost in court for the 25$ million.

More suits need to follow!

Quote:

Quote:

I am tired of going to macdailynews or appleinsider or any other mac site to hear about microsoft or bashing microsoft. I come to these sites to bash apple!

Fixed that for you....
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Fixed that for you....

lol@Jupiter... too funny.

I tell the truth - it hurts.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    As much as I love my MBP, I am unable to find any sites that offer intelligent discussion. Just inept fanboism. I can only imagine the average age of Apple customers is 12.

Well done children!!!
  • Reply 40 of 107
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And??

Some of you should take better care of your stuff.

And your point is?

My macbook is well looked after. It rarely is transported and is mainly used at the kitchen nook or on the lap in front of the TV. However, my 16 month old white Macbook just this last weekend cracked at the palm rest. Today, I booked an appointment with an Apple Genius to get it repaired - even though it is out of warranty - because as I looked into it, this appears to be an epidemic problem for Macbooks. The web is littered with tails of cracked Macbooks all in the same spots.

Are you suggesting that everyone is careless with their products? I have a HP laptop for work, and that thing is abused, but it is tough as nails - 3 years old and going strong... The Macbook in comparison seems to be as tough as a butterfly.

EDIT: Went to the Apple Store today, and they are repairing my out of warranty white Macbook for free. While it is good that Apple has the out of warranty coverage, they really should step up and publicly come clean that the plastic is cr*p and that they will repair your Macbook for free it it cracks and has no sign of abuse. I believe that a lot of people are not aware of this and so live day to day with a cracked case so as not to incur out of warranty repair costs.