Apple addressing cracks on white MacBooks casings

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I had the keyboard cover crack issue with a MB before. Apple replaced it for free within 2 hours. I am glad Apple switched to aluminum. I hate plastic. Over the years, I owned several laptops from Gateway, Dell, and HP and they always crack. I had to pay to fix it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hapalibashi View Post

As much as I love my MBP, I am unable to find any sites that offer intelligent discussion. Just inept fanboism. I can only imagine the average age of Apple customers is 12.

Well done children!!!

You call 7 posts looking?!

Your post make you look like the 12 year old. Next time try to state your issue and wait for feedback before posting a comment like this.
  • Reply 42 of 107
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So? Let them come out and play. Most of them are motivated by sheer jealousy. And some of them have all the bigger mouths, because for the very first time since 2001, they finally have an OS that *might be* nearly as friendly and usable as OS X. Of course, that still remains to be seen; we saw all of PC geekdom rave about Windows Vista right before its release. And we all know what happened.

Which has everything to do with cracking cases.

Quote:

There are really two types of *informed* computer users out there:

1. Mac users

2. Those who are going to be Mac users.

That's the way it's always been. So don't sweat the trolls. Everything they say is actually a compliment.

Don't sweat the trolls? Because you are one?

My MacBook has quietly existed, yet still managed to exhibit these cosmetic issues. I'm meaning to take the thing back to the shop but I've got assignments to do and booking it in means I'll be without it for a week or two.
  • Reply 43 of 107
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

As much as I love my MBP, I am unable to find any sites that offer intelligent discussion. Just inept fanboism. I can only imagine the average age of Apple customers is 12.

Well done children!!!

You won't find intelligent discussion anywhere. Even when it concerns Windows - which by definition, precludes the notion of intellect to begin with.

See? I did it again.

Just roll with it and enjoy the small morsels that come your way.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    Quote:

Well done children!!!

I call it the BMW effect. The way a company advertises a product influences the type of people who will be its most vocal customers. Not every BMW driver is a jerk who darts in and out of lanes, cuts people off and is inconsiderate. However, the very vocal minority that their ads influence are so devastatingly snobbish that it's hard to remember the people who are responsible BMW owners. People who buy even a 1-series or 3-series feel that they have "made it" and the world had better bow down to them and get out of their way.

It's the same with Apple. The whole Mac vs. PC thing is snobbish. I love Apple. I'm writing this on a MacBook Pro, which I love. I develop software for OS X. All my upcoming purchases are Apple hardware, but let's get real. Most ATM's run on Windows. So do most banks. So do most utility companies. Nuclear power plants. Point of sale systems (like Burger King, WalMart, etc.) Most service stations and their gas pumps. It's just silly to claim that Windows is crap and "I'd never use it." Unless you're a total Luddite, I bet you've used Windows today, but it was so invisible that you never noticed. As a software developer, I can tell you many things that Windows does better than OS X. MANY!

BMW builds great cars, but I refuse to buy one because I don't want to be associated with the snotty-nosed jerks that BMW immediately reminds me of. The "children" you speak of are doing the same thing with the Apple brand. Yes, it's good stuff, but please tone down the childishness. Grown men (and women) resorting to calling Windows "Windoze" as if they've just said something brilliant. The last Linux developer I "almost" hired went on a "Windoze" rant when I asked what he likes most about Linux and he lost the job. His ignorance saved me from hiring him at the last moment.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    Quote:

You won't find intelligent discussion anywhere. Even when it concerns Windows - which by definition, precludes the notion of intellect to begin with.

See? I did it again.

Just roll with it and enjoy the small morsels that come your way.

Case in point. If you're going to quip, at least come up with something original.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:

There are really two types of *informed* computer users out there:

1. Mac users

2. Those who are going to be Mac users.

That's the way it's always been. So don't sweat the trolls. Everything they say is actually a compliment.

I'm kind of taken aback by your comment. Is it that you judge people who use Windows to be inferior or of lesser intelligence than those who use Macs?? I think such a comment is the epitome of arrogance, although not necessarily Apple fanboism. I personally know quite a few people who aren't exactly the sharpest nail in the box, and who use Macs because they either had cash to blow or it just "goes with their style." My favorite example is one of my friends who didn't even know how to burn a simple CD using his Mac (no lie, and this was after owning his Macbook for half a year), and had to ask me (I "solved" it for him, although it was just a file burning procedure), and I'm a PC user who has hardly ever tinkered with Macs. Remember, not every Mac user is a so called "power user" who partakes in pro apps or utilizes OS X to its fullest extent. Just like how not every Windows user is a dumbass.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Don't forget that a lot of these PC users decry Apple hardware when they don't have a lot of money to spend, but as soon as they save up enough, they're out buying Macbooks and Macbook Pros, and are posting around here about how they "switched."

I used Windows all my life up until August 2008. I had the first gen iPhone and loved it. I owned several iPods and loved it. I decided to take the plunge and come to Mac.

My first iMac 24" 3.06 GHz I bought had a yellowish tinge on the bottom left corner. I was shocked. I called Apple and they advised me to exchange it. I went to google and found out it was a gradient issue that has plagued all iMacs from 2007 onwards! So I exchanged it again and again and again. All had uneven backlighting issues, burnt pixels etc etc.

I get constant Time Machine Backup Errors - Apple is aware of this issue. My second keyboard Caps light goes off randomly - a known issue... Google it.

My problems with Mac has been good! Far more than my HP and Dell!!!

iPhone 3G - dust, light leaks and cracks!

How do you expect me to feel? I CAN afford Mac. I thought I was buying a quality product. I was wrong.

So ya Microsoft, HP and Dell may have issues, but so does Apple. End of Case.

Yeah, we believe you. /sarcasm

Now why don't you get lost.
  • Reply 48 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Yeah, we believe you. /sarcasm

Now why don't you get lost.

I'd agree with you. But he can certainly stay. It's entertaining. The anti-Apple crowd is usually very easy to refute, since they use Windows to begin with.

Funny thing is, my experiences with Macs have been exactly the opposite.

I can also produce as many "friends" who have had no issues with Macs whatsoever as the next person who claims they have had issues.

All these personal, anecdotal experiences don't amount to anything.

What does matter?

Customer satisfaction numbers. The general ebb and flow of surveys done every year. I'd trust those a lot more than a few trolls that are either lying or exaggerating. Even if they ARE truthful, they might not be a reflection of the majority at all.

So just tune them out and look at the bigger picture.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I'm kind of taken aback by your comment. Is it that you judge people who use Windows to be inferior or of lesser intelligence than those who use Macs??:???

Not at all. They're intelligent. Insofar as masochists can be intelligent.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

BMW builds great cars, but I refuse to buy one because I don't want to be associated with the snotty-nosed jerks that BMW immediately reminds me of.

Right.

So the grapes are sour anyway, right?

When you're finally able to reach the vine, let us know.
  • Reply 51 of 107
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

The anti-Apple crowd is usually very easy to refute, since they use Windows to begin with.

What an idiotic statement to make. There's zero logic in it. None.

You use Windows, so you are very easily refutable?

Too funny.

Quote:

Funny thing is, my experiences with Macs have been exactly the opposite.

I can also produce as many "friends" who have had no issues with Macs whatsoever as the next person who claims they have had issues.

About half my friends have had issues with their Macs. Doesn't change the fact that people who buy a 'premium' product feel a little cheesed off when it exhibits issues.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:

...I love Apple...but let's get real. Most ATM's run on Windows. So do most banks. So do most utility companies. Nuclear power plants. Point of sale systems...

ATMs yes (scary), but nuclear power plants should not be using Windows to control their plant. And let's not forget Microsoft's sheer marketing power.

Quote:

As a software developer, I can tell you many things that Windows does better than OS X. MANY!

I'll take your word for it, but could it be .Net and CLR? ODBC? Clustering? Visual Studio? Well, whatever it is it'll just start a flamewar, please send me a msg.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    My black MacBook had some very fine cracks in it but after the way I treated it I think it's held up surprising well.

PS: Just because ItalianKid and Teckstud enjoy going for long trolls together, doesn't mean you have to interact with them. I know it's hard when someone is being so blatantly wrong and/or negative but it just encourages them to keep it up. I'm guessing the negative attention is better than no attention at all.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

It looks like the same plastic used in white iPhone. Apple should really drop using plastic in general, it just so bad.

The problem is that it looks like Apple quit using polycarbonate for their white computers. That stuff is nearly impossible to crack. The only problem is that its surface is a bit prone to scratching.

Quote:

And??

Some of you should take better care of your stuff.

Maybe, but that's also partly you jumping to conclusions. A lot of times people blame the user just out of habit without going through any steps to really establish it's really that. Such as simply calling users slobs when competing brand products haven't exhibited the discoloration problems that the Apple ones did.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    Is that cover world wide or US only ?

Is there an official document I can bring to my apple store in the UK ?
  • Reply 56 of 107
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Most ATM's run on Windows. So do most banks. So do most utility companies. Nuclear power plants. Point of sale systems (like Burger King, WalMart, etc.) Most service stations and their gas pumps.

Are you kidding me? Maybe the secretaries and clerks at those things are running windows, but not the hardware. Any critical hardware in a nuclear power plant, gas pump, banks, etc is running custom built embedded realtime code. That means either C or assembly microprocessors or for large systems, RTAI Linux or some other realtime kernel. Even if they're running an embedded Windows system (which is stupid since it sucks compared to the other options), there'll be so much custom code you wouldn't even recognize it.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:

BMW builds great cars, but I refuse to buy one because I don't want to be associated with the snotty-nosed jerks that BMW immediately reminds me of.

Yeah, that's what we refer to as STUPID. You're only depriving yourself, not any of those alleged "snotty-nosed jerks." And it's the Windows users who are the same way that we also call stupid.
  • Reply 57 of 107
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:

Are you kidding me? Maybe the secretaries and clerks at those things are running windows, but not the hardware. Any critical hardware in a nuclear power plant, gas pump, banks, etc is running custom built embedded realtime code. That means either C or assembly microprocessors or for large systems, RTAI Linux or some other realtime kernel. Even if they're running an embedded Windows system (which is stupid since it sucks compared to the other options), there'll be so much custom code you wouldn't even recognize it.

You're right Nuclear Plants do not use Windows or OS X, you're most likely to find a real-time OS such as QNX.

As for Apple's OS X Server, well it's not reliable enough, and actually Apple has a specific disclaimer in their User License Agreement that reads:

Leopard is "not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities, aircraft navigation or communication systems, air traffic control systems, life support machines or other equipment in which the failure of the Apple software could lead to death, personal injury or severe physical or environmental damage." I'm sure Microsoft has a similar disclaimer since both OSes are not "industrial" OSes.

Microsoft on the other hand is weighing its options to develop a real-time OS called Nuclear Windows.
  • Reply 58 of 107
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Microsoft on the other hand is weighing its options to develop a real-time OS called Nuclear Windows.

Brings a whole new meaning to the BSOD...
  • Reply 59 of 107
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, that's what we refer to as STUPID. You're only depriving yourself, not any of those alleged "snotty-nosed jerks." And it's the Windows users who are the same way that we also call stupid.

But there is a point to it. Most premium brands are selling on an image as much as they are selling the product.

Quote:

Even though it's a bad idea, I think some ATMs have been switching to Windows.

http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/ar...nning_win.html

That's not the only site that confirms it.

I've heard that OS/2 was the previous favorite for ATMs, but the OS being out of maintenance lead to them being discontinued.

The saddest part is that some voting machine systems were running Windows.

http://arstechnica.com/security/news...rabilities.ars
  • Reply 60 of 107
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've heard that OS/2 was the previous favorite for ATMs, but the OS being out of maintenance lead to them being discontinued.

I most definitely prefer OS/2 over Windows when it comes to ATMs. Our next-door bank has switched to a Windows ATM and since then there has been regular downtimes. Two weeks ago it had a problem where it was running really slow, so slow that it took over 2 minutes just to cancel before one can walk away!!!!