Apple near saturation point for iPod, iTunes use by teens

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No obsession and not tiresome. Your lack of an answer however is pathetic.

I have no answer to how tiresome you are, pathetic as that may be.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

When was this survey taken? Sounds like teens have no use for the new shuffle if it was recent.

Oh, and I was just pointing out the fact that your obsession with complaining about the new shuffle is tiresome, which, in fact, it is. No need for you to become insulting about that, except that I've read enough of your posts to know that you are insulting as a matter of course.

So are you actually a spoiled 10 year old child, or do you just like to act like one?

Now, where was that ignore button?
  • Reply 43 of 58
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    The iPod is dead, long live the iPod.

I see some of the same things happening now that were going on back when the iPod was first introduced that should change the market dramatically over the next couple years. I think the camera comments are right on; if the Touch gets a better sensor and lens, forward-facing camera, magnetometer, and a breathalizer then it will quickly be something that nobody could live without. (OK, so maybe the last one is a pipe dream, but an add-on?)

Video is really the opportunity at this point, since the record companies are on drugs. (Just need a good way to get the content off my DVR...)
  • Reply 44 of 58
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Sorry but score another dropped ball by anal---yst. ...

Also, the article misrepresents what Piper-Jaffray even says in their report.

It's all in how you present the data, and here AppleInsider presents it as a downer:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

As far as iPhones and the teen demographic, Piper Jaffray's 16th bi-annual survey last fall found that 8 percent of teens owned an iPhone with an additional 22 percent saying they planned to buy one of the touch screen handsets over the next 6 months. In the most recent survey, the number of teen iPhone owners remained flat, though purchase intentions declined slightly to 16 percent

Whereas here, Ars puts it in a positive perspective:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ars

Eight percent of teenagers already own an iPhone, according to investment bank Piper Jaffray, and 16 percent plan to buy one within the next six months. These numbers are both up from a year ago despite the current slowdown in consumer spending—in April of 2008, only six percent said they owned an iPhone and nine percent planned to buy one within six months.

Both quoting from the same report.

Not only does this article mis-represent the phenomenon as global, it implies some kind of "crisis" in the road ahead, when one doesn't exist.

Bottom line is there *may* be (some) saturation in the (American) market for iPods, but this slack appears to be being taken up by the increased sales of iPhones. This is wonderful news, but presented here as some kind of scary cautionary tale instead of what it actually is. To bad no one did any real analysis on the report before they wrote an article about it.

Edit: If you don't believe me, go over to Digg. This story is currently about the third from the top and has people commenting all over it about how this "saturation point" has been reached and what a scary deal it is, when in fact there is no evidence of it. This is how Internet rumours happen kids. One irresponsible article is picked up and the Title of it is repeated around the world and commented on by people who will never actually read what was written anyway. This is why AppleInsider should be more careful about what they print.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    and that includes all other apple products too. My partner discovered the world of technology only 2 years ago and he's worse than a teenager, with apples in his eyes. We are currently living in Prague and he just loves visiting the apple store and just bought a macbook. Needless to say, he takes it everywhere with him, to hotels, work and so on.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PragueHotel View Post

and that includes all other apple products too. My partner discovered the world of technology only 2 years ago and he's worse than a teenager, with apples in his eyes. We are currently living in Prague and he just loves visiting the apple store and just bought a macbook. Needless to say, he takes it everywhere with him, to hotels, work and so on.

Haha! Cute. It's addictive, no doubt about it.

Jimzip
  • Reply 47 of 58
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Oh, and I was just pointing out the fact that your obsession with complaining about the new shuffle is tiresome, which, in fact, it is. No need for you to become insulting about that, except that I've read enough of your posts to know that you are insulting as a matter of course.

So are you actually a spoiled 10 year old child, or do you just like to act like one?

At least I'm addressing the topic. I posted a legitimate question.

What have you provided to the discussion? NOTHING.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

You know you like reading my every post- savoring every morsel.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

That doesn't make any sense...

An 'upgrader' is still purchasing the new piece of hardware, and thus is a buyer. No?

If there was an option of upgrading the storage in the players, then they could be called 'upgraders' ... but everyone that wants the 'new thing' will buy a new unit ... please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Jimzip

The theory is that a person who has nothing is much more willing (and be able to justify) to purchase than someone who already has something and wants to upgrade. Basically take the two extremes. If you have 100 folks who have no ipod and then you release a new ipod, you'll get some percentage (X) of folks who will purchase since they have no player. Take the same 100 people, but give them ipods and then release a new one, you'll get some percentage that will upgrade (Y) to the new player. The saturation point means that likely Y < X, and so it will take more effort to get Y to approach X. So yes, they are both buyers, but you simply are likely to get fewer of them.

As a real world example, I purchased the original iphone. When the 16GB model came out, I did not purchase. When 3G came out, I did not purchase. If at those points I had no iphone, I would have more likely have went ahead and purchased one. Instead, I wait for the point where there is enough perceived value above and beyond my current iphone to "upgrade" to a newer model. My dollars are tougher to get for Apple and it takes longer.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm surprised that the iPhone wasn't more popular in the survey and that the percentage hadn't grown since last year.

The iPod stuff was pretty obvious.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    600 students?

I really don't think that 600 teenagers is a good basis for a sound survey.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Saturation - shmaturation. A good survey insofar as it goes, but completely ignores an entire demographic. Visiting Apple Stores in prosperous suburbs, I'm constantly impressed by the significant numbers of attractive, well-dressed coyotes sitting on stools in One-to-One sessions. For those who appreciate world-wise, mature ladies, it's a fantastic opportunity! Oh ... we were talking about iPods ... so sorry ...
  • Reply 53 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Visiting Apple Stores in prosperous suburbs, I'm constantly impressed by the significant numbers of attractive, well-dressed coyotes sitting on stools in One-to-One sessions. For those who appreciate world-wise, mature ladies, it's a fantastic opportunity! Oh ... we were talking about iPods ... so sorry ...

Do you mean cougars or are you seeing a lot immigrant smugglers at your local Apple store?
  • Reply 54 of 58
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Well, I am not a teen anymore. However, I look forward to the 5th generation iPod nano when it hit the Apple Store. Sure, I have a white iPhone, but I still want an iPod.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    awmawmawmawm Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'm wondering how all those "cool" teenagers grow older and decide that "coolness" doesn't matter and end up with "uncool" cheap Microsoft PCs. Maybe if Apple could just build a netbook-type of computer with a somewhat reasonable price to target those teens. Apple has a huge amount of appeal to teenagers, yet such a small amount of appeal to older computer users. Maybe buying mp3 players can't be translated to buying computers due to the large price jump of one device to the other. Too bad Apple can't sustain those teenager's interest through the college years.

I am in my 40s and recently switched after roughly 20 years of MS Windows to Mac OS X. I did not do it because of the "cool factor"; the frustration with Windows VISTA was the reason (example: I do not like to wait minutes every time my notebook comes back from sleep). And our family has moved over to ipods/iphones due to their ease of use and features, not because of the "cool factor" - yes, our kids think their Apple gadgets are cool but not because they are from Apple but because of the features and because they work flawlessly.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    The study should include how many teens simply have access to an iPod / iPhone. It's a much different device than other MP3 players or phones, and the pass-along / show-off factor on the iPod Touch / iPhone, thanks to apps, must be enormous just based on personal experience. Any mom or dad is going to let their teen (or child, or toddler) download something cool on their device at least once. Any one got figures on these?
  • Reply 57 of 58
    this isn't good, this isn't good at all.

why have Apple not been fined or had penalties imposed on them for monopoly laws of some sort by the US or the EU?

this is pretty clear evidence of what i would call 'destroying all and any competition', and really, competition is what we need to create innovative products and make advancements.

Apple has already shown a total lack of this with their scandalous 2nd 'iteration' of the iPhone that added next to nothing in terms of features. Features that should have been there from original launch, such as 3G.

The mp3 player market, as far as I can tell, is already pretty damn stifled in terms of choice, shops only want you to go down one route, and that's the iPod route.

If the mobile phone market ever became like the current mp3 player market it would be a real shame for everyone in terms of innovation, competition and depth and variety of choice.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    natbnatb Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

@AppleInsider

how about "semi-annual"

edit: ahh, I now see they're both right

No, no they're not. Your criticism was right the first time. Here's a good summary: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...emiweekly.aspx

There's no excuse for someone engaging in journalism not getting something that basic (and easily looked up) right.

(Sorry for the delayed response--it took 2 weeks for my registration for the forums to go through.)

-nat