Apple introduces Nehalem-based Xeon Xserves

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

two PCI Express 2.0 x16 expansion slots;

Yet, the Mac Pro doesn't have this feature. Something needs to change on the Pro.

PCI Express expansion

Three open full-length PCI Express expansion slots

One PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot

Two PCI Express 2.0 x4 slots

All slots provide mechanical support for 16-lane cards

300W combined maximum for all PCI Express slots

Which means are you really needing another 16 lane bandwidth slot? I think 2GB/s will do on the X4 slots.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Drool.

iLife would just scream on this hardware.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

are X serves for webhosting or something, or just having a network of regular computers I really dont understand, can someone shine some light on the matter for me. I Have a decent knowledge and understand all the specs of this, But even though Im assuming that its to be a webserver a server can be many things to many peoplel

Well I use an older 4 core Intel Xserve for file serving. It has half an Xserve RAID for the main storage and a huge Rorke RAID for the Time Machine drive and large project storage. It has a 4 port fiber Channel card and a 10 gig Small Tree ethernet card.

I have another one, an 8 core Intel that is used for a wide variety of uses including Cinema 4D render server, print server, Episode compression system, Red camera file processor and so on.

Xserve is a general purpose server that can do whatever you need it to do - including web hosting I suppose.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fellaintga View Post

PCI Express expansion

Three open full-length PCI Express expansion slots

One PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot

Two PCI Express 2.0 x4 slots

All slots provide mechanical support for 16-lane cards

300W combined maximum for all PCI Express slots

Which means are you really needing another 16 lane bandwidth slot? I think 2GB/s will do on the X4 slots.

Yes, give me the extra lanes, when I want to deal with OpenCL on dual GPUs. Hell yes.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

An Xserve is Apple's server. It can be an Open Directory Server (Think Active Directory in Win Server), be a simple file server, web server, mail server (for OS X Mail), etc.

... calendar server, full multi-media AV chat server & (more importantly) stably, securely, concurrently for as many users as those Nehalems can handle and all for a $1,500 license (or $750/year assuming 24-month OS upgrade cycle)

McD
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

... calendar server, full multi-media AV chat server & (more importantly) stably, securely, concurrently for as many users as those Nehalems can handle and all for a $1,500 license (or $750/year assuming 24-month OS upgrade cycle)

McD

What $1,500 license?
  • Reply 27 of 34
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Yes, give me the extra lanes, when I want to deal with OpenCL on dual GPUs. Hell yes.

The Mac Pro has 2 16-lane slots (one is occupied by the graphics card) and 2 4-lane. The Xserve has 2 16-lane slots open plus whatever it uses for it's desecrate graphics chip. I don't think the Mac Pro could get more PCI lanes without putting another controller chip on the motherboard thus increasing the price further (!).
  • Reply 28 of 34
    speedspeed Posts: 1member
    More I/O bandwidth.

The new Xserve delivers up to 2x the I/O bandwidth of the previous generation via two 16-lane (x16) wide PCI Express 2.0 expansion slots. Because the slots are independent, bandwidth isn?t shared between them. So you get all the bandwidth you need for the latest I/O cards, including 10Gb Ethernet and multiport 4Gb Fibre Channel cards.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

McD

Thanks for filling in the etc.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

What $1,500 license?

Oops! US$999 (in fact NZ$1,449 not NZ$1,500) for the unlimited client license.

McD
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

Oops! US$999 (in fact NZ$1,449 not NZ$1,500) for the unlimited client license.

McD

Are you referring to Xsan 2? That's $999.

Mac OS X Server v10.5 Leopard Unlimited-Client Edition is included.

Now if you want to buy Mac OS X Server unlimited client license for NON-XSERVE/Older XServe hardware, then be my guest.

Mac OS X Server v10.5.4 (Unlimited-client license) $999.

However, the new XServe includes that within the base price and thus they've absorbed the charge.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Nice upgrade, good to see that they are in front with the new CPU's.

Anyone care to speculatewhy there is no 4 8 racks? I see many clients with 3-5 units. Why no, for example, a 4 rack unit?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:

Are you referring to Xsan 2? That's $999.

Mac OS X Server v10.5 Leopard Unlimited-Client Edition is included.

Now if you want to buy Mac OS X Server unlimited client license for NON-XSERVE/Older XServe hardware, then be my guest.

Mac OS X Server v10.5.4 (Unlimited-client license) $999.

However, the new XServe includes that within the base price and thus they've absorbed the charge.

That'll teach me not to read up! So how many concurrent users could I expect to serve up the basics to with one Xserve? (file, print, mail, calendar, basic intranet - not video or high-volume media)

McD
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

That'll teach me not to read up! So how many concurrent users could I expect to serve up the basics to with one Xserve? (file, print, mail, calendar, basic intranet - not video or high-volume media)

McD

Good questions. That one would require some testing and research.