Scammers offer to help iPhone developers defraud Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    A few points:

1. I could be wrong, but the algorithm that has been hacked is for gift vouchers and not iTunes cards. They are different.

2. Apple has started banning/suspending iTunes accounts using fraudulent gift vouchers. In fact they have been doing it for awhile and way before the story broke on fake iTunes gift vouchers. So yes, they can tell which ones are fake but it takes awhile and it is not instant. So beware if you are considering buying fake gift vouchers because you can stand to lose your entire iTunes account and everything that was purchased even the legitimately paid stuff.

3. iTunes store credit from cards or gift vouchers can be used to buy apps. At least in the US.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gillfoto View Post

This is interesting, last week two 50 dollar iTunes Gift cards were invoiced to my VISA account without my knowledge. These scammers got access to my info through Apple iTunes website, very poor response and instant chat with them. My bank is pursuing fraud case.

I wouldn't assume they didn't get it from some other means. Cancel that Visa card, replace it, and file a fraud alert with the big three credit reporting agencies.

You should assume other areas have been compromised - to be diligent.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsite...rs/defend.html
  • Reply 23 of 34
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I could see someone creating an App or two just to take advantage of this offer. There are some that can be scratched together in a couple of hours. It could really suck, but for the purposes here - it would work.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magimac View Post

These morons have missed one real important fact: iTunes cards/credits CANNOT be used to make purchases on the app store...

I'm guessing you're in Canada... where you can't.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magimac View Post

These morons have missed one real important fact: iTunes cards/credits CANNOT be used to make purchases on the app store...

I'm guessing you're in Canada... where you can't. But of course in the coming weeks the rest of us may not be able to too thanks to this bunch.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Why do people care so much about spelling on a tech site?

2) Why are the initial comments about a spellchecking or word usage almost always wrong?

3) Why don't people at least pop up a dictionary or go to Wikipedia or something to make sure that they, themselves aren't wrong or have only a limited scope of word usage and spelling before commenting?

Oh yeah, syphon is a variant spelling of siphon. The etymology is a bit light on this word but it states that it came to Middle English from the French or Latin via Greek. This emergence from French or Latin into Middle English may be the reason why there are variant spellings as ME would use 'sy' and F/L would use 'si'. Just a guess.

Not sure who the quote is really from - but way back before the first published (American) English dictionary - it was said that a truly educated man knows more than one way to spell any given word. (or something along those lines). Also - despite what people thing - language which are still spoken are still evolving - and word usage and even spelling are still evolving.

And yes spelling and grammar are important even if they are not the focus or purpose of an article. I had a friend in college who said that the professor was not interested in spelling - but imagine the professor trying to read your work and understand what you have written if it is full of errors in spelling, grammar, usage, etc, making it an effort simply to read at all. Whether consciously or not we do make value judgments about the author or the material when reading something full of what we perceive to be errors.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    1. this ain't correctspellinginsider.com so can we get off that discussion

2. not everyone is from the US, so some rules may be different. please don't assume the rules you must play by are universal

3. I have no doubt that someone at Apple Corp watches sites like this so if they didn't know about these games, they do now.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    I'm glad Apple is getting scammed. Theres a saying for that...."What goes around come around". I hope the scammers take them for millions, not like its going to dent there wallet.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris4851 View Post

I'm glad Apple is getting scammed. Theres a saying for that...."What goes around come around". I hope the scammers take them for millions, not like its going to dent there wallet.

And you got taken by Apple for what?

Why would any one want to wish bad things on a company? It's not like Apple is the bad guy here. Yes they may make a lot of money on or off of folks, but NO one is forced to ? NO ONE!

I remember seeing a few posts from folks who ARE making MILLIONS because of Apple and the app store. I'm SURE those folks won't agree with you either.

Skip
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Hi 8CoreWhore, I do appreciate your response, I realize it was slightly off subject. But for me it was a real wake up on Apple security at iTunes website.

Thanks again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I wouldn't assume they didn't get it from some other means. Cancel that Visa card, replace it, and file a fraud alert with the big three credit reporting agencies.

You should assume other areas have been compromised - to be diligent.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsite...rs/defend.html

• Reply 31 of 34
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Why should the location of the bad spelling be a factor? Moreover, you should care enough to at least try to write properly. This is especially true if you make a living writing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Why do people care so much about spelling on a tech site?

• Reply 32 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Merriam-Webster lists *syphon* as a legitimate variant of *siphon*:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/siphon[2]

Robbie
  • Reply 34 of 34
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Janus View Post

Second. That country has some amazing, brilliant, hardworking people, but overall the society is sorely lacking in ethics. I guess the people just follow the government's example (which makes Wall Street/government collusion look like Singapore).

Given that the US derivatives market has turned out to be a giant scam, the former chairman of NASDAQ (and guy who's firm's software started NASDAQ) is in jail for the biggest individual scam ever, and the "regulations" that made these kinds of shenanigans possible were paid for with standard political contributions, I'm not sure Americans are in a position of high moral authority at the moment.

As for stopping this fraud, presumably Apple just has to watch for an unusual number of sales of an app that were made with iTunes credit not originally paid for by credit card (for which they'd have a record).