AutoCAD for Mac becoming a possibility

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Autodesk blogger solicits feedback

Quote:

I now use both an Apple Mac and a PC.

At Autodesk we are always trying to stay in tune with our customers and the industries they are in as well as their needs. So what does this have to do with a Mac, the AutoCAD product team would like your feedback and opinions in a short survey to help shape the future of the next generation of AutoCAD products for the Apple Mac OS X Operating System and hardware.

Thumbs up

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Autodesk blogger solicits feedback

Thumbs up

AutoCad seems so....1999. I'd be more interested if this was from the Revit team.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    At the rate they are going it'll take ten years before a Cocoa version arrives.

AutoCad Survey about a native version of AutoCAD for OS X.

http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/surve...rveyID=l21M672

For now it's just via VM or Boot Camp. Neither will fly.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

At the rate they are going it'll take ten years before a Cocoa version arrives.

AutoCad Survey about a native version of AutoCAD for OS X.

http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/surve...rveyID=l21M672

For now it's just via VM or Boot Camp. Neither will fly.

Did you fill out the survey? Don't be too harsh on Autodesk these days. Alias Studios is now on the Mac Platform. Mudbox is on the Mac Platform. These guys are serious now. I predict at least an AutoCad LT for the Mac in the near future. Quite honestly, it would not surprise me if 3DS Max and Inventor were to follow.

We can thank the Vista fiasco for this IMO.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

Did you fill out the survey? Don't be too harsh on Autodesk these days. Alias Studios is now on the Mac Platform. Mudbox is on the Mac Platform. These guys are serious now. I predict at least an AutoCad LT for the Mac in the near future. Quite honestly, it would not surprise me if 3DS Max and Inventor were to follow.

We can thank the Vista fiasco for this IMO.

I filled it out.

IMHO, AutoCad is crap. I'm running acad2009 on a new quad core w/ 4GB of ram and acad runs like a slow POS. Each new version is bloatware; Autodesk describes it as 'robust'.

From an architectural point of view, BIM is the future. That's way it seems odd to me that Autodesk would invest resources into a OSX version of acad. Revit would be more practical for the long term.

acad LT? Please. If Autodesk is going to make a serious effort, then at least do not give mac users a half-assed product.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    I filled some Autodesk survey about Autocad on OS X years ago.

They seem to be good at surveys.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

I filled it out.

IMHO, AutoCad is crap. I'm running acad2009 on a new quad core w/ 4GB of ram and acad runs like a slow POS. Each new version is bloatware; Autodesk describes it as 'robust'.

Regardless of how AutoCad runs, it is still the #1 CAD software in the world. And the fact that they are now serious about the Mac to me is a good thing. If it sucks for you, I suggest you use something else. The problem is most companies make it a mandate. It is hard to ask to use a Mac when half the programs are PC only.

Quote:

From an architectural point of view, BIM is the future. That's way it seems odd to me that Autodesk would invest resources into a OSX version of acad. Revit would be more practical for the long term.

You know maybe one day they will bring Revit to the Mac. Of course, if others like you fill out the survey saying you don't care about Autocad on the Mac because it is slow and crap, then you can probably toss that idea right in the trash. AutoCad is their bread and butter program. Again, this IS a good thing whether you like the program or not.

Quote:

acad LT? Please. If Autodesk is going to make a serious effort, then at least do not give mac users a half-assed product.

If they could get out an ACAD LT sooner then a full fledged Autocad for the Mac then I say do it. Does that mean I want them to stop there? Hell no. I would want to see the full version on down the line.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timo View Post

I filled some Autodesk survey about Autocad on OS X years ago.

They seem to be good at surveys.

The difference this time around IMO is the fact that three Autodesk programs came to the Mac just this year: Mudbox, Toxic and Alias Studios. This survey follows a trend of Autodesk programs coming to the Mac. I hope you took the time to fill this one out too... and in a positive way.