Apple addressing cracks on white MacBooks casings

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Brings a whole new meaning to the BSOD...

Definitely a rather unfortunate description. "Nuclear Windows"
  • Reply 62 of 107
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Yeah, we believe you. /sarcasm

Now why don't you get lost.

I can prove you wrong. You will then look like the idiot.

google ...

iMac 20" gradient displays

iMac 24" gradient displays and uneven backlighting

iPhone 3G light leaks

Apple wireless keyboard Cap lock light not working

I am not the only person having these issues! Trust.

Can't wait for you to get a faulty product and live with it. Dying for it.
  • Reply 63 of 107
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    I think all companies have products that have some sort of planned obsolescence in them. Otherwise they'd probably go out of business if the products lasted forever. Still most of my Mac products have been around for longer than five years. My 3-year-old iPod needs a battery replacement, but it looks and works perfectly when it's used in a dock. My 2-year-old MacBook Pro runs perfectly and has no cracks or any external damage except for scratches I accidently put on the bottom of the case.

I do feel for those that have that MacBook, because brittle plastic does get cracks. I've seen that happen to toys. That's why the aluminum unibody MacBooks should be around forever. Nothing will get that type of case to crack.
  • Reply 64 of 107
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I can prove you wrong.

google ...

iMac 20" gradient displays...

Hey you're right,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoWtTozqFKU - iMac washed out display

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOQGmEiGYjw - iMac bad LCD dust or heat damage

& more....

I understand your frustration in trying to communicate, some folks just take what you're saying as a personal attack rather than an informative post.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

lol@Jupiter... too funny.

I tell the truth - it hurts.

Problem is, your truth is a little distorted!!
  • Reply 66 of 107
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Sure... products from any company? (Including some that wouldn't fix a crack under warranty, much less AFTER warranty as Apple has done before and is doing again now.)

You won't find a single product from any company that never showed cracks or flaws for any user. And you won't find a product where people aren't more likely to post about a problem than to say "all is well." This creates an impression that a rare (but still bad) problem is the norm. That's human nature.

I'd also suspect that people are more likely to a) notice and b) CARE about minor cosmetic issues on an Apple product, because Apple products have such perfect minimal design that flaws seem extra glaring. (Not to mention, people scrutinize Apple products online and send each other off to look for flaws. They'd rush off to find them on Dells too... except nobody's that excited about the design of a Dell in the first place.)

This is not to excuse Apple--products SHOULD be perfect, it should be immediately clear to everyone what is and is not abuse, and repair policies should be fully established in the consumer's favor from the very start--not corrected late as has happened in this case. When Apple fails to meet these standards, they should be called on it. However, it's not some "Apple specific" problem.

(All is well I am the owner of badly-abused, dropped, sat-upon, tossed-around, caseless iPhone 3G that nevertheless has flawless plastic with zero cracks or scratches. The chrome, however received minor scratching from a gruesome gravel incident. The plastic, amazingly, showed nothing from the incident. The glass too is still perfect. I'm lucky--as I hope MOST 3G owners are--but I feel for those who have not been so lucky. I don't deny that your cracks are real. Whether you unlucky ones are 40% of buyers or 4%, it still sucks when you notice a crack.)

Ahhh, good old damage control

However, I'm not aware about any "cheap, crap, plastic" laptop having cracks as what appears to be a common problem.

But even if there are some... we all know that they are cheap plastic pieces of crap. Unlike Macs, with their superior build quality [/SARCASM]

Exactly what I mentioned before; Macs are great design with high level of perceived quality... which does not necessarily translates in actual quality.
  • Reply 67 of 107
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

No surprise here! Apple is famous for cracks!

Macbooks + iPhone = lots of cracks!

Does Apple ever produce a product without a problem?

white Macbook - cracks

white iPhone 3G - cracks

iPhone 3G both colours - dust and light leaks

newest Macbooks - graphic display issues

iMacs - 20" severe gradient issues

iMacs - 24" uneven backlighting from left to right... left brighter than the right by up to 50%

Anyone else wanna add to the list?

Yes, you are an idiot. Don't drop your Apple products and they won't crack. Two year old white MacBook, no cracks. Friends that have white iPhones, no cracks. No dust or light leaks either. 20" iMac uses a low cost LCD, that is not a flaw, it is a characteristic of the display. iMac 24" no uneven backlighting at all.
  • Reply 68 of 107
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

Wanna know why?

I am tired of going to Macdailynews or AppleInsider or any other Mac site.

Then just go away. Please.

You're a troll.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Apple designs and makes products that scratch so you buy it again and again and again because it does not wear well.

I am glad they got sued and lost in court for the 25$ million.

More suits need to follow!

If you learn how to take care of things, they won't get scratched. I have a 2002 PowerBook Titanium and it is in MINT condition. Not a scratch, not a mark on it. How does this happen? I take care of it. I have seen some of the Macs people have brought in to the Apple store and they look like they have been dropped and run over by a car. Then they have the nerve to complain that it doesn't work. None of the PowerBooks that I have owned have cracked, ever. I have a two year old white MacBook, not a mark on it. The cracks in the photos are from obvious abuse. They are at different angles, they aren't next to any stress points.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    Quote:

105+ fixes from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7

100+ fixes from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6

200+ fixes YEAKS!

This is hardy comparable! No OS is ever fully patched (I don't care from which vendor) and is always in a state of flux as libraries change and are updated, security improved, optimisations made and bugs corrected.

Just search for 'hotfix' and see how many of those you find!

I understand you had a bad experience with some Apple products, but adding that to your post completely took away any objectivity for me.
  • Reply 71 of 107
    ahogeahoge Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No- Apple needs to just stop using CHEAP plastic. There are much better grades- just look at many of the other laptops around.

Show me any other laptop case that looks even a bit similar to macbook's. It could be the plastic, but probably it's the shape and plastic. I'm glad apple moved to aluminum
  • Reply 72 of 107
    i have just talked to apple austria and apple germany, and they say that there was NO bulletin to repair companies, and that they actually don't fix those problems if they are after guarantee-period.

seems like this info is spreading without confirmation from people who should know.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

i have just talked to apple austria and apple germany, and they say that there was NO bulletin to repair companies, and that they actually don't fix those problems if they are after guarantee-period.

seems like this info is spreading without confirmation from people who should know.

when it comes to recalls and out of warranty repairs, these things are done on a per country basis. Not because they are built differently in different countries, but because the cost of lawsuits in different countries differ greatly. The USA is ripe for such recall long before other countries due to its litigious nature. (speculation)
  • Reply 74 of 107
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

If you learn how to take care of things, they won't get scratched. I have a 2002 PowerBook Titanium and it is in MINT condition. Not a scratch, not a mark on it. How does this happen? I take care of it. I have seen some of the Macs people have brought in to the Apple store and they look like they have been dropped and run over by a car. Then they have the nerve to complain that it doesn't work. None of the PowerBooks that I have owned have cracked, ever. I have a two year old white MacBook, not a mark on it. The cracks in the photos are from obvious abuse. They are at different angles, they aren't next to any stress points.

Blah, blah, blah...

I'm not having a problem, so no one else is either.

• Reply 75 of 107
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Yes, you are an idiot. Don't drop your Apple products and they won't crack. Two year old white MacBook, no cracks. Friends that have white iPhones, no cracks. No dust or light leaks either. 20" iMac uses a low cost LCD, that is not a flaw, it is a characteristic of the display. iMac 24" no uneven backlighting at all.

You and your ilk are the idiots for continuing to respond to this troll.
  • Reply 76 of 107
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And??

Some of you should take better care of your stuff.

You mean like not put it in its protective sleeve then put both in my briefcase and carry them to work? Because that must be what produced the cracks on my MacBook.

Truly the worst-made Apple product I've ever owned. Cracks on the case on both sides of the trackpad and on both sides of the top of the screen bezel. the keyboard was out of flush with the base from day one, and the screen has developed the delightful habit of blacking out in certain positions, so the inverter is likely hosed.

Yet I've never dropped it or hit it or anything like that. As noted above it has two cushioned protection layers when it travels. So it's hard to conclude that shoddy manufacturing/design is not the issue.
  • Reply 77 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Right.

So the grapes are sour anyway, right?

When you're finally able to reach the vine, let us know.

Actualy I own a Mercedes, have a sauna and room for a pony... (just kidding about the last two). But I remember the night before I bought it, I was worried what people would think, because I don't want to be associated with anyone who looks down on people.

As a person who uses both Windows and OS X, i find pluses and negatives with both. But Apple hardware is the best, it has unique style and is generally durable. And what does go wrong, Apple takes steps above and beyond to fix.

I've owned several computers, Acer's, HP, Sony, Toshiba. Of those, I would say only Sony comes close to being as friendly on the phone as Apple is. HP and Toshiba love to give you the run around. Oddly enough as cheap as Acer is, and people make fun of them for that, I've never had an issue with the one I owned, or the one my BF currently uses.

I couldn't bear to own one... as I want some style but its plastic is way more durable then my white MacBook for sure. Though I'll be getting an Aluminum MacBook here shortly...
  • Reply 78 of 107
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    italiankid,

STFU and go away already.

There is nothing wrong with discussing the bad and the good about Apple. As a Mac user I come here to learn about both.

However, you sir (or madam) are a royal pain in the a$$. Since you've been here, you have hijacked every thread you post to. I'm sick of scrolling passed every other entry with your user name on it just taking up screen space with your posterbation.

I understand that posting on websites can be a convenient way to stave off boredom, but you are fast becoming i-herpes, the creeping irritation that won't go away and keeps coming back to places it isn't wanted.

I don't give a ratz a$$ why you have such a bug up your tuchus about Apple, but it seems like you've developed some sort of mental disorder that causes you to obsess on something you don't like and spend a weirdly inordinate amount of time and energy on a site devoted to the bane of your life. Seek help from a mental health professional. Just go buy the PC of your choice already, or take the one you have now and go do something productive.

Appleinsider,

Do you have any forum moderators at all? If so wake up and get rid of this guy. Any other website would have booted him (her) along time ago. It's to the point that if I see this guy's user name, I leave.
  • Reply 79 of 107
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:

... Now if people voice their opinions, Apple would listen....

I will continue to complain because I pay a premium for the products and I expect a PREMIUM product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I took two MacBooks into the Apple store a month or so and they replaced the cracked tops and offered to replace the cracked shell of another...

Quote:

...My first iMac 24" 3.06 GHz I bought had a yellowish tinge on the bottom left corner. I was shocked. I called Apple and they advised me to exchange it. I went to google and found out it was a gradient issue that has plagued all iMacs from 2007 onwards! ...

How do you expect me to feel? I CAN afford Mac. I thought I was buying a quality product. I was wrong....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

...The more pressing problem with MacBooks to me is the inordinately high failure rate of their hard drives....

Consider suing Apple if the problem is widespread. Exercise your consumer rights.

Look at this Macbook display class-action lawsuit in 2007. Remember the iBook logic board and battery replacements in 2005?
  • Reply 80 of 107
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahoge View Post

Show me any other laptop case that looks even a bit similar to macbook's. It could be the plastic, but probably it's the shape and plastic. I'm glad apple moved to aluminum

Ive seen new aluminum ones at Best Buy with dents and tons of scratches already. An uncoated titanium would have been awesome.