iPhone assembly rumored begun; Apple faces touchscreen lawsuit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "two will exist: one would supposedly have a longer-lived battery and a faster processor, while another would be a basic iPhone meant to appeal on cost."

Ah yes... the iPhone Poor(TM) and iPhone Rich(TM)
  • Reply 22 of 30
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    It should be interesting to see how much more powerful Apple will be making these new iPhones, I am definitely going to upgrade from my current 3G once these new devices are launched.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Thanks for pointing this out. Reading the article makes me think that ELAN might be suing as a way to get a cross-licensing agreement with Apple. ELAN is so defensive in its press release that it makes me think they might be worried. Of course it's totally just a guess on my part.

ELAN's statement says they own the rights for detection of finger position? Isn't detection of finger position a given for any touch screen ever made? I'm just curious when they filed this patent, when it was granted, & which part of the patent they are claiming Apple infringed?

Everyone just seems to be rehashing small pieces of other articles out there, anyone actually doing the investigative journalism themselves? Little more on that please?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"two will exist: one would supposedly have a longer-lived battery and a faster processor, while another would be a basic iPhone meant to appeal on cost."

Ah yes... the iPhone Poor(TM) and iPhone Rich(TM)

khm... which of them is supposed to have better battery? what price will attract more customers?
  • Reply 25 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

khm... which of them is supposed to have better battery?

I think better battery is a bit fuzzy. If one has a faster CPU (and hopefully double the RAM) then it would need a bigger battery just to last as long as the slower model. Hopefully they have one that considerably longer, but I don't think that will be possible with Apple's preference to go more battery duration if it can fit into the same size space or smaller. The iPhone last a long time for such a device, but I find it so useful and constantly mulitasking with it that a day will easily use a battery charge and then some.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think better battery is a bit fuzzy. If one has a faster CPU (and hopefully double the RAM) then it would need a bigger battery just to last as long as the slower model. Hopefully they have one that considerably longer, but I don't think that will be possible with Apple's preference to go more battery duration if it can fit into the same size space or smaller. The iPhone last a long time for such a device, but I find it so useful and constantly mulitasking with it that a day will easily use a battery charge and then some.

Technically that's irreproachable. I just wondered what marketing name would be better for iPhone with longer-lasting battery... iPhone Rich or iPhone People

I become more and more inclined to blame Infineon. Modest battery life because of 3G chips and modest reception capabilities together suggest that...
  • Reply 27 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I just wondered what marketing name would be better for iPhone with longer-lasting battery... iPhone Rich or iPhone People?

If they do sell an iPhone with the current CPU and RAM setup then it will not be getting video, regardless if it gets a 3.2Mpx camera with better lens and so on. Perhaps this mythical, higher -end device will be called iPhone Video.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    I think the one reason why AppleInsider included the lawsuit in this thread is that Elan is seeking an injuction against Apple that would stop the sales of all multitouch technology until this lawsuit is resolved. On the off hand that such an injuction would be approved, Apple couldn't import the next iPhone in to the US.

And yes, even with major products this has happened before most notably with the Broadcom and Qualcomm. In that case, products in the US could still be sold but no further new chipsets could be imported. I forget who it eventually resolved itself though.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If they do sell an iPhone with the current CPU and RAM setup then it will not be getting video, regardless if it gets a 3.2Mpx camera with better lens and so on. Perhaps this mythical, higher -end device will be called iPhone Video.

Too humble for Apple imo. Video capturing is just one of the huge batch of new features. Were I Apple I'd call it iPhone ADMM (I phone and do much more)
  • Reply 30 of 30
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

ELAN's statement says they own the rights for detection of finger position? Isn't detection of finger position a given for any touch screen ever made? I'm just curious when they filed this patent, when it was granted, & which part of the patent they are claiming Apple infringed?...

Finger detection would be the core of the issue and would be different on each and every device and platform. Exactly how the fingers are detected, what technologies are used, and the algorithms used to determine how many fingers, where they are placed, how and whether they are moving, and particularly what the intent of the fingers are, is pretty much the whole game.

If ELAN is saying they have a patent on detecting finger position, the only way I can interpret that is that they are saying they patented the same method that Apple uses, first. Seems doubtful to me considering the background and history of Apple's patents on this. It would mean that someone at this company that never actually created a multi-touch product, working in complete isolation, (at least 8 years ago!), created the exact same way of detecting fingers that FingerWorks (who researched the thing for years), did. Not impossible, but really unlikely.

I would guess that this is actually a really general patent of the variety where it simply says something like: "we patent the idea of fingers being detected on touch screens," or some such BS. The implication being that it covers Apple's (and everyone else's) specific patents on implementation, because they patented the general idea of doing this first even though they have no implementation and no implementation details.