Apple places unusual flash memory order

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Are planning to replace the current crappy remote with something that makes more sense and replaces my URC? I'd be the first one to buy one.
  • Reply 42 of 128
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgonzale View Post

...Not everyone wants a crappy camera jammed into an ipod. ...

I think you'll find these worlds are converging.

It's likely that the camera included in the next iPhone/iPod will be as good as the average point and shoot "digi-cam" and include a comparable video camera as well. People don't want to buy a four hundred dollar camera and drag it around with them anymore when it will be out of date and broken in a year or two anyway.

Putting such a thing in your mobile (which is updated usually on the same schedule), sounds like a perfect solution to me.
  • Reply 43 of 128
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    I think what's more interesting about this story is why didn't they report it as 1gb NAND chips, rather they reported as 8gb NAND chips in groups of 8.... Or at least the backpeddle has you believe.

Certain thoughts flow through my head... Using them in AE to hold OS X Thin would turn it into more of a server and increase speeds across the network. I nice little headless server for printers and storage... Maybe something extra like iMedia server...

System cache. The oh-so talked about in circles of using nand flash for the system to store anything and everything. From L3 cache to boot bits and even VM/Page files. Its cheap, no heat, very fast and would work well when tied to USB 3.0.

And the list goes on and on.

BTW: iPhone, iPod are getting a 5mp camera with more complex cmos that gives 720p at 30fps with low lux to boot.
  • Reply 44 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's likely that the camera included in the next iPhone/iPod will be as good as the average point and shoot "digi-cam" and include a comparable video camera as well. People don't want to buy a four hundred dollar camera and drag it around with them anymore when it will be out of date and broken in a year or two anyway.

Putting such a thing in your mobile (which is updated usually on the same schedule), sounds like a perfect solution to me.

Regardlessof how good the camera is for a cellphone, which i doubt will come close to the average Nokia is actual print quality, the new API for the 30-pin connector will allow for some some very high-end camera attachments for the iPhone and Touch. Should someone choose to do it.

Unless such an attachment is very sleek and powerful, I'd prefer to have to a new standalone camera with BT so it can grab and auto insert GeoLocation into each pic as it's taken via the iPhone.
  • Reply 45 of 128
    uymanuyman Posts: 36member
    If there is a 32 gb chip in the 4 gb nano, why isn't it a 32 gb nano? If there is a 128 gb chip in the 16 gb iphone why isn't it a 128gb iphone?
  • Reply 46 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uyman View Post

If there is a 32 gb chip in the 4 gb nano, why isn't it a 32 gb nano? If there is a 128 gb chip in the 16 gb iphone why isn't it a 128gb iphone?

You aren't using your capitals. An uppercase 'B' means bytes and a lowercase 'b' means bits. I'm sure you know that there are 8 bits per one byte. So 128Gb equals 16GB, 32Gb equals 4GB, and so on.

While they use bytes on the retail end to describe capacity, the production side is almost always bits.

PS: There is also the seldom used IEC standard of Gibibyte (GiB) Mebibyte (MiB) to describe capacity in BASE-2. I wish this was the common usage as the HDD companies advertise their capacities using the SI standard of BASE-10, which is the exact same verbage as the common JEDEC standard of BASE-2 which makes people wonder why their 80GB HDD is only ~74GB, for example.
  • Reply 47 of 128
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uyman View Post

Gb≠GB

EDIT: Like he said.
  • Reply 48 of 128
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aga View Post

It's for the next release of the OS, Snow Leopard. They are Shipping it on the Cheap NAND.

Now you know.

This could certainly be the case if the Flash was USB enabled. With Snow Leopard going on a diet it could easily fit as could some of the apps. The best thing Apple could do is to make the core OS install separate from the app installs. But unfortunately not everything, the SDK for example doesn't fit. So I can't see Apple moving whole hog to software distribution on this sized device.

For a future hand held device I could see them using NOR flash for execute in place storage of the OS and critical apps. That has the potential to save a lot of RAM space. Nice thought but unfortunately I've seen nothing to support this and the article is about NAND flash anyways.

About that article, how about this: it is bogus. That is there is a high likely hood that some of the data points are just wrong. Everyone is taking the reporting as being accurate but does it make sense with Apples product line up and needs? I'd say no as every device they currently have has moved beyond that density and it isn't a suitable density for future products. This is why I see software distribution as the only possibility.
  • Reply 49 of 128
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Regardlessof how good the camera is for a cellphone, which i doubt will come close to the average Nokia is actual print quality, the new API for the 30-pin connector will allow for some some very high-end camera attachments for the iPhone and Touch. Should someone choose to do it.

Unless such an attachment is very sleek and powerful, I'd prefer to have to a new standalone camera with BT so it can grab and auto insert GeoLocation into each pic as it's taken via the iPhone.

Maybe Apple will take their rumored 5MP parts and big pile of NAND chips and make just

the camera attachment you imagine. (It would sure be nice for an iPod touch)
  • Reply 50 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This could certainly be the case if the Flash was USB enabled. With Snow Leopard going on a diet it could easily fit as could some of the apps. The best thing Apple could do is to make the core OS install separate from the app installs. But unfortunately not everything, the SDK for example doesn't fit. So I can't see Apple moving whole hog to software distribution on this sized device.

Apple may not ship the SDK on Snow Leopard. They don't seem to mind developers DLing a new multi-GB files every month and they are moving all those GBs of print drivers to online only access. This would easily jibe with moving Snow Leopard to USB flash sticks.

I understand the desire to make Snow Leopard smaller as an install, but to remove bulky print drivers that have to be installed via an internet connection only makes sense if your focus is making the actual install disc considerably smaller.

They haven't included the iWork trial since removing the Office for Mac test drive, so the only thing that would be keeping the install bulky is iLife, as I can't see them separating the various languages and fonts from the final build as that seems to be too much of a step backwards to have Windows-like builds for different countries.
  • Reply 51 of 128
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinx101 View Post

I don't know what they're making or what it costs but I HAVE to have it! I'm already giving this product two thumbs up, it's far more sheek and elegant than anything the competitors have come out with and it's so easy to use, "it just works".

• Reply 52 of 128
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Wow- Apple is becoming the new SONY day by day. No wonder their computers are getting suckier day by day.
  • Reply 53 of 128
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    This is starting to feel like Apple is gettin ready to spring something on us that will make even a 3rd generation iphone seem boring.
  • Reply 54 of 128
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow- Apple is becoming the new SONY day by day. No wonder their computers are getting suckier day by day.

So, apparently, once you "go Mac" you in fact begin to seriously consider "going back", yes? Please?
  • Reply 55 of 128
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Nothing to surprising about the order.

from July 2008

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/a...ndustry-starv/

From today

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/09/a/

Edit: Nothing too surprising about the order.
  • Reply 56 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So, apparently, once you "go Mac" you in fact begin to seriously consider "going back", yes? Please?

yuk yuk yuk
  • Reply 57 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

from July 2008

From today

Welcome to AI! I think your post pretty much closes any speculation about the use of these chips.
  • Reply 58 of 128
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

So maybe Apple is just buying them up cause a shortage for everyone else...

...is that illegal?

It's illegal, unless Apple does it. Then it's ok.
  • Reply 59 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

from July 2008

From today

It is a pretty good chance that the flash will be used for that.

But wasn't there some info about the chips having a different density or something along those lines?
  • Reply 60 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

It's illegal, unless Apple does it. Then it's ok.

Is it illegal if it is for legitimate usage?