Microsoft pays for inaccurate "Apple Tax" study, issues 3rd TV ad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 343
    There is an even bigger story here than how Microsoft has resorted to lame tactics...
    ...that they are even using tactics at all.
    Apple has come a long way in the short six or seven years since I switched. Microsoft has shifted from ignoring Apple to competing with her. That is the real news here. We have only come to see Microsoft actually investing money to market their products against the Mac within the last twelve months or so (definitely gives credibility to Apple as a rising competitor).

Unfortunately for Microsoft, is that they do not realize the popularity of the Mac has nothing to do with Apple's marketing (that only helps with exposure). Most switchers, according to what I have observed, have been "converted" by word of mouth or hands on experience with another Apple product (iPod, iPhone, etc.). Those forces aren't going to be swayed by these kinds of generic commercials.
  • Reply 22 of 343
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

OS X, OS X, OS X.

THAT makes a Mac worth every damn penny.

The value of Windows? What value??

Is it the value of:

A massive target for virus writers

Conficker (which is now awake, have fun! (Again))

Hardware/software compatibility issues

Lots of issues with your post, but it is late and I am tired so here is a few:

a target fro viruses, sure, but that also means that there is a ton of Rand D and competition to find and remove them, if you were to write malware for the Mac, it would never get discovered until Symantec found it.

the hole that Conflicker hit was patched months before the malware came out, if someone exploits a hole in 10.5.2, that apple patched in 10.5.3 today, when we are on 10.5.6, is that still a black mark on Apple, or does it speak volumes about the users lack of running updates.

Yea, PCs have hardware issues, but it is a tradeoff, pc guys dont have to use a $3000 tower and $400 GPU to have a reasonable graphics experience for 3d apps
  • Reply 23 of 343
    asgiovasgiov Posts: 8member
    Crazy M$

They really DON'T have to exaggerate details to show that apple computers are generally more expensive.
  • Reply 24 of 343
    I heard that Apple has about 30% of computers sold at $1000 +. This is also where the the greater profits are.

I wonder what the market share for consumer/home used computers are.

Does Apple need to counter this?

I don't think so. More people accept that better products have a higher price and word of mouth is far better with Macs than with PCs. Again iPods and iPhones are the most expensive products in their markets but they are a great success.

I do think that Apple should promote the iLife software more. Time to make the PC in the ads a switcher and then move on to a new ad campaign.

Soon, with the direction already taken with the OS, a Mac cannot be compared so directly to a PC. It would be like comparing an iPod touch to a Zune.

Valan
  • Reply 25 of 343
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

pc guys dont have to use a $3000 tower and $400 GPU to have a reasonable graphics experience for 3d apps

3D apps?

You mean GAMES. GAMES aren't "3D apps."

Sorry, most Mac users could care less about Crysis. Some of us have outgrown them.

Macs were BORN to run Aperture, Final Cut Pro, and all the Pro grade "3D Apps" out there. Macs run all the graphics-intensive apps we need. And they are the industry standard. Macs are all about 3D apps.
  • Reply 26 of 343
    As a long long time Windows user and Mac owner I think it's about time Microsoft started advertising their strengths. I think this article sounds like someone with sour grapes. Like the Apple ads are any more truthful. I have always enjoyed them. I think they are funny, but truthful they are not. The Microsoft ads are very accurate. You can buy an excellent Windows laptop, for less then the price of a Mac mini, that will last a long time. My family currently has 3 HP laptops that are 5 years old and two Dell laptops that are 2 years old. Total investment for all 5 laptops $3000.00. My daughter also has a Mac Book provided by the school she teaches at; $2000.00 for one laptop (it's no better then my two year old Dell).

I personally have never felt comfortable in an Apple store. Most people I meet there seem to feel they are better then anyone that owns a Windows machine.

I have virtually no problems with Windows or the Mac but I spend a lot of time helping others on both. Mac owners can mess up their machines just as well as a Windows user.

I personally get a kick out of buying something at the Apple store and as the sales clerk is knocking something about Windows I ask them how they like using Windows Mobile on their handheld point of sale device. Seems like the iPhone or iPod touch should be capable enough, but they must not be.

Everyone keeps mentioning the virus costs. There are several options on Windows that are free, including not running any (I don't run any on my home machines) I do scan my server drives for virus's (I've yet to find one except in e-mail attachments). You can get a virus/trojan on a Mac.

Open Office works quite well on Windows and Macs and it's free. You can use Neo Office on the Mac which is Open Office compiled as a native Mac app.
  • Reply 27 of 343
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Yea, PCs have hardware issues, but it is a tradeoff, pc guys dont have to use a $3000 tower and $400 GPU to have a reasonable graphics experience for 3d apps

Yet there are $3000 towers and $400 GPU to be purchased in PC land so clearly there's a market for such hardware on both platforms. The only difference being Apple's not going to wade into low margin territory catering to "champagne tastes on a beer budget" end users.

Truth is there are plenty of people willing to pay the Apple premium and the meteoric success of Apple is a testament to that fact.
  • Reply 28 of 343
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    The more telling thing is that there has been no response from Apple. Except sales.
  • Reply 29 of 343
    ddubres79ddubres79 Posts: 101member
    To sum it up, Apple makes bold claims about Microsoft not working and portrays all PC users as fat guys with a bad 80's suit, Microsoft makes bold claims about Apple's pricing as being insane and only rich white people can afford them, fanbois pour gasoline on their bodies and take to their platform of choice to start a new flame war, cats and dogs live together and Armageddon starts once again..

Rinse, repeat. yawn. \
  • Reply 30 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

To sum it up, Apple makes bold claims about Microsoft not working and portrays all PC users as fat guys with a bad 80's suit, Microsoft makes bold claims about Apple's pricing as being insane and only rich white people can afford them, fanbois pour gasoline on their bodies and take to their platform of choice to start a new flame war, cats and dogs live together and Armageddon starts once again..

Rinse, repeat. yawn. \

I prefer the second portrayal. Except you inserted the issue of race in there, where it didn't belong. Good job.
  • Reply 31 of 343
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Being a computer supervisor at the Best Buy I work at (insert joke and/or rant here ), I have to say this "study" is completely ridiculous. Selling both Macs and PC's, I frequently see "less expensive" Windows computer getting rung up, and even with the upfront cost of everything combined, still coming out even or more expensive than our Macs. Not all the time, but it is extremely common.

Like others have noted on here, this study conveniently dismisses anti-virus cost over the life on the computer, which on average is about $60/year. They also failed to mention that you still need to buy Quicken and Office for a Windows computer as well, as well as any other software you will need (since they only give you trial versions), not to mention the fact that a Windows PC is obsolete in 2-3 years and has a higher repair rate and therefore cost. Macs generally last much longer, but even if you wanted to upgrade, resale value is MUCH higher with Macs.

Plus, where did he get these numbers for some Mac prices? I don't think he realizes that you don't have to get the family packs of MobileMe and iLife, and that iWork is half the price of Office 2008. And to get the same functionality as MobileMe on a Windows computer, an Exchange account is necessary (which is much more than MobileMe ever will be). Also, his Dell "warranty" does not cover one-to-one care (or a MobileMe equivlant, since he bunched that in there too), so why are those included in a supposed head-to-head cost? Also, does Dell have a network of retail stores and authorized service centers across the nation to get your computer looked at and fixed? Didn't think so.

The last thing that bugs me is the fact that while having an AirPort device is certainly preferable, any wireless router works with a Mac, including that linksys one he quotes for a PC. Plus again, an iLife upgrade (completely optional, by the way), is again $79, not $99. The funny thing is that this simply shows Microsoft is scared sh*tless about a company with 1/10th of their market share, because when they look into the future, I don't think it looks very good from where they're sitting. I guess we will wait and see, though.

</end rant>
  • Reply 32 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

The more telling thing is that there has been no response from Apple. Except sales.

MS did Apple's job for them.

Who the hell would be attracted to the kind of user-image MS portrays in those ads? MS has singlehandedly called their userbase cheap and tasteless. Smooth move.

And Apple's about to report a strong month . . .
  • Reply 33 of 343
    rtyqwertyqwe Posts: 1member
    The 3rd "comparison" drove me crazy!

they've listed the update of iLife or other software for MAC

but forget to list out the upgrades for WINDOWS and OFFICE!!!
  • Reply 34 of 343
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Call me a contrarian, but I am truly happy if Apple continues to stay below 10% or so in market share. Apple should continue to be a high value-low volume-high margin player.

Apple should just stay the course and not veer from its extremely successful strategy. If these stupid Microsoft ads help Apple rediscover - rather than run away from - that value proposition, that's fine by me.

I say that as both an Apple shareholder and an Apple customer.
  • Reply 35 of 343
    Gizmodo did a great article on the Apple Tax. Fair and balanced. Let's be honest there is one, but it seems to punish the low end buyers more so than the top end. It's more of a way for Apple to convince you to upgrade to the nicer model. This ensures two things... A. you'll be running their system on better equipment which leaves you with a better overall customer experience. B. you pay them more money. That's my overall take on it. Here's the article link.

http://gizmodo.com/5065133/the-truth...-the-apple-tax
  • Reply 36 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BHoughton View Post

Since when is MobileMe $149 a year?

Oh that's right; it's not.

Of he sprung for the Family Pack since it's not his money...It's Microsoft's.

The other thing this study assumes is that Mac users are too stupid or lazy to shop around.

Amazon sells Mobile me for less than $70 and the family pack for around $90.
  • Reply 37 of 343
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    LOL, idiots, Mac never was promoted to be a games computer, it is meant to do other stuffs and games is just occasion. Why? cause Mac usually able to last around 5 years and if a computer were to last for 5 years, it won't be able to play the latest game during the 3-5th year period. Gamers own desktop cause it can be upgradeable, they own powerful instead of looks notebook cause they want gaming performance and eventually will sell it after a couple of years of use.

And yea, I am happy with Apple stay below 10%, less people whining, less trolls As long as Apple stays as a premium product company, I am happy

Anyway stupid (ms) + stupid (kay) = idiot (apple tax)
  • Reply 38 of 343
    goochergoocher Posts: 92member
    Great free advertisement for Apple. Seriously. I remember way back in the day when Borland would mention (i.e. try to slam) Microsoft in their print/web advertisements. And where is Borland? I'm not saying Microsoft is devising its own doom with these adverts. I'm just saying it is at least ironic that Microsoft is going after Apple when Microsoft has HUGE market lead already. And by mentioning Apple, they are offering free advertisement for Apple. In the case of Apple's commercials ("I'm a Mac" "...and I'm a PC"), one could argue that PCs were getting free marketing. Except that Apple's commercials were clever, and Microsoft's PC commercials aren't especially clever. I think the best of the bunch so far from Microsoft were the "I'm a PC!" commercials. Not clever, but at least mildly amusing and not annoying.
  • Reply 39 of 343
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Those are probably the same ones who are not, and probably will never be part of the Premium end of the market.

$400-$700 Dell victims need not apply.

It is odd to me that you equate the cost of one's computer with their knowledge of computer hardware. Just because one spends money on something does not mean they understand it, you cannot purchase your way into knowledge.
  • Reply 40 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Call me a contrarian, but I am truly happy if Apple continues to stay below 10% or so in market share. Apple should continue to be a high value-low volume-high margin player.

Apple should just stay the course and not veer from its extremely successful strategy. If these stupid Microsoft ads help Apple rediscover - rather than run away from - that value proposition, that's fine by me.

I say that as both an Apple shareholder and an Apple customer.

Good point.