The Next Macbook Refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I've been scouring the internet trying to find some information on when the next macbook refresh can be expected, but i've pretty much come up empty thus far. Do any of you have an idea of when apple plans to update their macbooks next, and what exactly the updates would entail (i.e. processor upgrade, bigger HDD, more memory etc.)? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much longer i'm going to have to hold out before the macbooks finally get updated again.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Byron.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    c.dubc.dub Posts: 19member
    They were updated very recently to the new unibody design for all model MacBooks and MacBook Pros. It is a great time to buy now as there are also refurbished models available to save a few bucks.

If you're wanting to wait for an update, you may be waiting for a while.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Who knows, they may replace the S*** displays on the 13" MacBooks. August.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Who knows, they may replace the S*** displays on the 13" MacBooks. August.

Now that would make it very tempting for me to buy.

I just watched Blade Runner on my white MacBook and in the dark parts you really notice just how shitty this screen is. Then I hear the new screen isn't much better so I'll just wait out for now, as far as speed goes my MacBook is just fine.

What would be even better is if they'd manage to cram a 1440x900 14.1 inch screen in the same casing. The bezel is way too big and I see no reason why they couldn't fit a bigger screen in thereand make the bezel about the size of the 15" MBP.

But since that's very unlikely, I'll just settle for a better 13.3 inch screen
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook

It's been five months already? Wow.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's been five months already? Wow.

As far as the last MacBooks go they where a major upgade so I don't see anything more than a minor bump coming. Even here Apple would need to have a solution for the MacBook Pro. Frankly I see nothing major coming until Intel comes out with a new series of laptop chips.

One could hope that Apple would rev the machine to support Firewire again but that would require dropping something else. Otherwise you will be waiting for nothing more than a minor processor bump.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 16
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    I think they could get updated with the core i5 in fall.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Apple won't put an i7 in the MacBooks because it has to take up a certain amount of power and it needs to generate less heat.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    nvidia has announced/leaked a lower cost/power chipset for notebooks (and probably some "netbooks"), the MCP89E:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-t....html?doc=6789

In Q3, Intel will release some speedbumps of their mobile penryn cpus:

- The MacBook could see a bump up to 2.66GHz (25W/3MB cache cpus)

- The MacBook Pro, up to 3.06GHz (35W cpu)

- The MacBook Air, up to 2.13GHz (17W cpus)

The MacBook, the MacBook Air or a new "small notebook" from Apple could use the MCP89E chipset (integrated graphics) that is also pin-compatible with the current MCP79 (or 9400M) chipset.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

nvidia has announced/leaked a lower cost/power chipset for notebooks (and probably some "netbooks"), the MCP89E:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-t....html?doc=6789

In Q3, Intel will release some speedbumps of their mobile penryn cpus:

- The MacBook could see a bump up to 2.66GHz (25W/3MB cache cpus)

- The MacBook Pro, up to 3.06GHz (35W cpu)

- The MacBook Air, up to 2.13GHz (17W cpus)

The MacBook, the MacBook Air or a new "small notebook" from Apple could use the MCP89E chipset (integrated graphics) that is also pin-compatible with the current MCP79 (or 9400M) chipset.

I would say there is a high likelihood of this upgrade. A 5% improvement in performace with an upgrade is the new Apple modus operandi.

Personally I'd wait for mobile nehalems to make their way into the laptop lineup. That should be a very noticeable improvement in performance.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I would say there is a high likelihood of this upgrade. A 5% improvement in performace with an upgrade is the new Apple modus operandi.

They got pin compatibility but I have to wonder about driver compatibility. This might very well be a low stress upgrade for Apple. On the other hand they have a validated unit that only has six months on it, they just might milk it for a year.

Quote:

Personally I'd wait for mobile nehalems to make their way into the laptop lineup. That should be a very noticeable improvement in performance.

For the poster this is a ways off especially if he is wondering about a six month bump. That could come next month but I wouldn't expect much more than minor speed tweaks. Especially on Mac Book, I could see Apple waiting mobile nehalems for the Mac Book Pro. However considering that each platform got a completely new architecture I just don't see Apple being in a rush here.

Since getting my early 2008 MBP my interest in what Apple does with it's laptops has dropped a bit. I'm more interested now in the iPod tablet that everybody wishes for. The original poster should take note because once you have the itch satisfied what Apple comes out with afterward doesn't matter. Also to be frank if the current Mac Books aren't good enough for you then maybe you are looking at the wrong product.

Dave.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    dingusdingus Posts: 1member
    Minor speed bump coming in April, and if you can wait until summer, an OS upgrade too. However, if you want the more durable plastic shell, instead of the easily dented alu, get one while you can.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    If any update is coming to the MacBook in the spring time frame, I would expect it close to WWDC, like mid-to-late May. And it will be minor... Specs-wise, expect a bump on the low-end to 2.26 processor, larger hard drive options. The mid-range may stay at 2.4, or may go as high 2.66, with larger hard drive capacity options. The Microsoft advertising may actually help force these bumps to keep them ultra fresh.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    nondualnondual Posts: 78member
    Does anyone have any idea when mobile Nehalem chips might be coming for Mac Pros?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Any news here? I had forgot how long has it been from the last update, almost six months now according to MacRumors buyer's guide. Next month should normally bring new Macbooks, right? Anyone to risk some guess?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Any news here? I had forgot how long has it been from the last update, almost six months now according to MacRumors buyer's guide. Next month should normally bring new Macbooks, right? Anyone to risk some guess?

New Intel mobile chips are expected for May 31.

Core 2 Duo T9900, P9700 & P8800 at 3.06, 2.80 & 2.66GHz for $530, $348 & $241.

If you add the already released SL9600 at 2.13GHz for $316 and the rumored P7550 at 2.26GHz (OEM cpu), you've got all the cpus needed for a refresh of the notebooks.

Somewhere in June or later.

13" MacBook 2.26/2.66GHz

13" MacBook Air 1.60 or 1.86 and 2.13GHz (hopefully with 4GB RAM)

15" MacBook Pro 2.66/2.80GHz (3.06GHz BTO)

17" MacBook Pro 2.80/3.06GHz