Apple begins countdown to 1 billion App Store downloads

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple said Friday that App Store shoppers have downloaded nearly 1 billion applications since the service launched less than one year ago and is running a promotion that will award one lucky customer with over $13,000 in Apple goodies.

"As of today, nearly one billion apps have been downloaded around the globe. So we just want to say thanks — a billion," the Cupertino-based company wrote in a new posting to its website that was accompanied by a digital counter that's racing towards the 1 billion mark.

App Store shoppers who download an app between now and the time the counter hits 1 billion will automatically get the chance to win a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card, an iPod touch, a Time Capsule, and a MacBook Pro. The total retail cost of the prize package is valued at $13,746.

In order to participate, all you need to do is go to the iTunes Store, browse the App Store, and download a new app via your computer, iPhone or iPod touch. If you don't own an iPhone or iPod touch, you can still participate in the promotion by completely filling out an alternative entry form.

Regardless of which submission method you use, entries will be limited to 25 per person and/or iTunes account and/or email address, per day, according to the promotion's official rules.

As of press time, the counter was at approximately 927,808,000, which when compared to the half a billion milestone reached on January 16th, means shoppers are now downloading over 5 million applications every single day. This is up from a rate of 4.76 million apps per day in January and 2.2 million in December.

Also on Friday, Apple posted a list of the top 20 applications of all-time on the App Store. Topping the list of paid applications was Vivendi Games' Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D while Facebook took top honors amongst a list of free aplications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

To enter the Countdown to 1 Billion Apps, please complete the form below in its entirety.

(Limited to 25 entries per day)

When I tried more than once it came up with an error saying I have entered to many times
  • Reply 2 of 45
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I'll be able to participate in the promotion even if I download a Free app, right?
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

App Store shoppers who download an app between now and the time the counter hits 1 billion will automatically get the chance to win a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card[/url][/c]

I hope that gift card is transferrable. I can't think of even $100 dollars I'd spend on the iTunes Store. Not that I'd win...
  • Reply 4 of 45
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I guess this is my cue to download Dungeon Defense finally
  • Reply 5 of 45
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Cool promotion!
  • Reply 6 of 45
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

When I tried more than once it came up with an error saying I have entered to many times

yeah, me too.

and to add insult to injury, it should say "You have entered too many times today". ("to" vs. "too")
  • Reply 7 of 45
    got it on webclip. anyone know what the music count is up to?
  • Reply 8 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    There are 265 days left in the year. At 5M downloads a day that is a 2nd Billion in 200 days after hitting the first Billion.

Although I assume that this daily download rate will be increasing as I imagine that Apple is counting update downloads, as they are the full app being downloaded. Then in June-July the new iPhone will certainly cause another push to the handset which will increase the app download rate. Then there is the iPod Touch update with the next iPod release around Aug-Oct that will cause a smaller, but noticeable increase. Finally, there is the opening up of the 30-pin connector and those 1000 new APIs that will help push developers to make even more apps and attachments that use apps. All of these things, along with this giveaway, that will boost the numbers. I think 5M is about half of what we'll see per day average later this year.

At 5M a day it should be a full to weeks before 1B is obtained, but I have a feeling it will be completely in around 10 days. Monday, April 20th.

How fast did the iTunes Music Store sell in comparison?
  • Reply 9 of 45
    From what I gathered in the Terms & Conditions its not a 'draw' but rather just the lucky person that downloads the 1 Billionth App or the first free entry afer the download of the 999,999,999th App whichever comes first.

So its really a game of skill and timing... so don't get your hopes up! (And no point in downloading or entering now, not until the downloads ticks much higher).
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

got it on webclip. anyone know what the music count is up to?

Since hitting 3B they have adding another Billion about every 6 months, so I would image that they will be at 7B around June, making them at around 6.7B right now.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Nice idea! I'm going to buy Crazy Penguins Catapult :-) I was thinking about it since last week, my girl loves it.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    The countdown isn't live though. But Apple should tweek it with accurate figures as we draw closer to the billion

See the countdown is running off this data [countdown.txt] which has the number of downloads as at 6am on the 10th of april, and the countdown will approximate the number that would have been downloaded by now.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    create some ticker bot?
  • Reply 14 of 45
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since hitting 3B they have adding another Billion about every 6 months, so I would image that they will be at 7B around June, making them at around 6.7B right now.

Well, with the new rate structure, it will be interesting to see if there is any impact to the sales rate. I think the music labels screwed up on this one...
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Well, with the new rate structure, it will be interesting to see if there is any impact to the sales rate. I think the music labels screwed up on this one...

I don't think it's going to make a difference. For 30¢ more on some tracks you do get twice the bitrate and no DRM. The other, large online music store are doing the same variable pricing. I think the convenience of the whole setup for teh 88% that own iPods and use iTunes will win out.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Deleted
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waywoodr View Post

The countdown isn't live though. But Apple should tweek it with accurate figures as we draw closer to the billion

See the countdown is running off this data [countdown.txt] which has the number of downloads as at 6am on the 10th of april, and the countdown will approximate the number that would have been downloaded by now.

countdown.txt seems to get updated hourly. The current data shows 8am (I assume Cupertino time).
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How fast did the iTunes Music Store sell in comparison?

The music store took 1032 days to reach its first billion. Then 320 days to reach its second billion. And 203 days to reach its third billion.

The app store will take 282-284 days to reach its first billion (assume Apr 20-22). And will probably reach its second billion in less than 150 days.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

The entry form is required under the "Mooch" law, but you're only entitled to a single entry.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The entry form is required under the "Mooch" law, but you're only entitled to a single entry.

Limit: Regardless of which method of entry is used to enter the Promotion, only twenty-five (25) entries per person and/or iTunes account and/or email address, per day will be granted.

That sounds like even moochers should be able to enter 25 times per day.