Jobs active at Apple, still working on tablet-sized device

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs is still very much involved in his company's direction even as he recuperates at home -- and is said to be on track with a new portable device larger than the company's handhelds.

Those reportedly aware of Jobs' position have told the Wall Street Journal that, as promised, he's regularly overseeing projects and has guided some of its most recently publicized work.

In particular, Jobs is understood to have been instrumental in shaping the interface of iPhone OS 3.0, which adds copy-and-paste text as well as device-wide search.

More importantly, the executive is still believed invested in long-term strategy. While new iPhones are to be expected, the newspaper also understands that Apple is as focused as ever on producing a portable device that sits in between the small, pocketable designs of the iPhone and iPod touch but not as large as existing MacBooks.

Despite the supposedly close access, though, the tips don't describe what that device would be. Recent reports have seen Apple order 10-inch touchscreens for an unknown product due later this year; it's commonly believed to either be Apple's long-in-development tablet-class device or else the company's closest equivalent to a netbook.

However much Jobs remains in control from a distance, his company is still described as eager to get him back. At this late stage, those close to Apple's business are still confident that Jobs will be back in June, or just two months from now; simultaneously, the firm's board of directors is anxiously ensuring this is the case by talking regularly with Jobs' doctors.

And even if Jobs were to spend longer outside of his office at 1 Infinite Loop, Apple is claimed to have a roadmap for the next several years.

The one remaining worry is thought to be a shift in upper-level (but not executive) staff drifting away from the company, although these aren't necessarily connected to doubts about leadership. A lead Apple TV software engineer, Greg Dudey, is known to have left for Dell. What exactly prompted the move isn't known.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 174
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Sweet.....
  • Reply 2 of 174
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Eh...
  • Reply 3 of 174
    mi_satmi_sat Posts: 39member
    You're welcome for the WSJ article I sent you this morning...
  • Reply 4 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mi_sat View Post

Always credit your sources! AI knows better than that.

Jobs hated the Newton for two reasons:

1) It was scumbag Sculley's pet project.

2) It was underpowered.

Now he is in a position to address both shortcomings, and is apparently doing so.
  • Reply 5 of 174
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The one remaining worry is thought to be a shift in upper-level (but not executive) staff drifting away from the company, although these aren't necessarily connected to doubts about leadership. A lead Apple TV software engineer, Greg Dudey, is known to have left for Dell. What exactly prompted the move isn't known.

Apple's cult-like work environment has the tendency of driving a certain flavor of employees away. I hope ATV is on track for a major revamp especially now that BlockBusters are going down!
  • Reply 6 of 174
    [QUOTE=Mister Snitch;1401738]Always credit your sources! AI knows better than that.

Maybe AI reads WJS too....I do, doesn't everyone?
  • Reply 7 of 174
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    After recent revelations about how analysts seed false reports and rumors to manipulate stock prices I am now skeptical of any article like this. How would such a report benefit a crooked (just about all of them, apparently) analyst? This story seems to reinforce the idea that Apple will eventually fail without Jobs and could be the prelude to a huge short selling frenzy. The article states that Jobs is still making the critical decisions (maybe he is for all we know. maybe not.) Recent reports have all touted that Apple is doing just fine without Jobs and that customers don't seem to care. Now comes this WSJ story that Jobs is still running the joint from home. All these analysts need to do now is seed a rumor that Jobs is critically ill and will never return. The stock tanks once again and somebody makes tons of money.

I know, I know. But just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean somebody isn't really after me.
  • Reply 8 of 174
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Apple's cult-like work environment has the tendency of driving a certain flavor of employees away. I hope ATV is on track for a major revamp especially now that BlockBusters are going down!

Yeah, I was thinking the same. But DULL? Unless you got a big time Jones for living in Austin? And yes, I do know that Dell has locations around the world.... but it's still Dell.

I have met Michael Dell a few times socially. As a twist to the new old Bentsen-envoking-Kennedy lines goes: "Michael, you're no Steve Jobs!"
  • Reply 9 of 174
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    [QUOTE=Fast Fred 1;1401743]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Maybe AI reads WJS too....I do, doesn't everyone?

Frankly, not much since Murdoch's bunch took over the helm.
  • Reply 10 of 174
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

Did you ever think that someone else besides you may have seen the article on teh internets and sent in a link to it also? It's rather churlish to be hunting for kudos and the source is the New York Times anyway, (which is properly accredited), not you.
  • Reply 11 of 174
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Did you ever think that someone else besides you may have seen the article on teh internets and sent in a link to it also? It's rather churlish to be hunting for kudos and the source is the New York Times anyway, (which is properly accredited), not you.

Agreed.
  • Reply 12 of 174
    Get well soon!
  • Reply 13 of 174
    I am new to Apple Insider, but I could see thses toch screens being put to the use of a new kind of computer. It seems like the next logical step for apple. A small personal computer in which the keyboard is integrated into the touch screen. It would be very impressive to see something like that, even if it were to be faily expensive.
  • Reply 14 of 174
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Newton II

Not sure what the official name will be, but this tablet is going to be sweet. Start saving your money.
  • Reply 15 of 174
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Eh...

Is that it? Where are the pics?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newapplephile View Post

I am new to Apple Insider, but I could see thses toch screens being put to the use of a new kind of computer. It seems like the next logical step for apple. A small personal computer in which the keyboard is integrated into the touch screen. It would be very impressive to see something like that, even if it were to be faily expensive.

I'd rather see a 10" netbook-like device that isn't so underpowered. Like using lower powered C2D tech over Atom.

I keep going with a MacBook because of the 13" size is a good balance for me, but I'd go for a 15" (or 17") MBP if I could get a 10" MB to go with it.

However, I don't think we'll see any new Mac device or tablet until a few months after the iPhone launch and not anytime before it.
  • Reply 16 of 174
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Start saving your money.

Even with a touch screen, I think it would be a bad idea for Apple to price it higher than the Macbook.

The answer to the question will depend heavily on what processors it comes with. I would bet on it being an Ion-based product with the 9400M chipset and Intel Atom.

10" touch screen

120GB HDD (SSD optional) - maybe a 1.8" drive

2GB Ram

9400M

sealed battery but with the tech in the 17" MBP, except maybe half the size.

runs Snow Leopard, small footprint, Cocoa Touch and optimized for 9400M

$799 (£599)

The Atom chip shaves off $200 from the lowest end $999 Macbook. It may be overly optimistic but I'd expect no optical drive unlike the MB. I think they need to aim for this price at most to sway netbook buyers who don't get an optical drive either.

A netbook can still be bought for £299 but the form factor, software, battery life, graphics performance and touch interaction should be enough to persuade some to pay double.
  • Reply 17 of 174
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

The assumption here is that there was no independent development of the story.

Quote:

Jobs hated the Newton for two reasons:

I'm not to sure that Jobs ever really hated the Newton.

From the management standpoint he had no choice, the company was on the verge of colapse. Basically he was brought in at a time where there where nothing but hard decisions to be made.

Quote:

1) It was scumbag Sculley's pet project.

2) It was underpowered.

As to underpowered what wasn't back then? Much the same could be said about todays iMacs with their laptop hardware. Still the iMacs get a lot of work done for their happy owners. Like wise the Newton still has devoted followers.

Quote:

Now he is in a position to address both shortcomings, and is apparently doing so.

That remains to be seen and I for one hope that something along the lines of a Newton 2 is coming. The device should be focused on a slightly different user base or maybe better said have a different suite of primary apps. The big problem is that this doesn't jive with reports of the use of ten inch screens.

I'm really hoping that Apple has a couple of devices in development as I can see the ten inch device having it's own appeal but it will be to big for what many of us want. What is that you ask, simple a Touch based device that has a screen that is 5.5 to 7.5 inches diagonal. Oh and support multitasking on the device. Basically all the goodness of iPhone/Touch with a bigger screen.

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 174
    Quote:

I'll thank you if no one else will.
  • Reply 19 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is that it? Where are the pics?

sigh..
  • Reply 20 of 174
    [QUOTE=justflybob;1401748]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Frankly, not much since Murdoch's bunch took over the helm.

Agreed - read it everyday, and not happy with the changes.