Student vs Select ADC

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking of joining either the Student ADC or the Select ADC, but there is a lack of info about specific hardware discounts (i mean specific dollar amounts or percentages). What i am wondering is if anyone has any recent (or not) experience with either program.

I have have heard in one of Chris Pirillo's videos that he essentially received a $500 "coupon" ($1000 after a $500 membership fee). does anyone know what the one time student hardware discount is? would i get the same discount as the Select ADC on top of the suped-up student discount?

if anyone has ANY info at all, i would be eternally gratefull.

Drake

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drake View Post

I'm thinking of joining either the Student ADC or the Select ADC, but there is a lack of info about specific hardware discounts (i mean specific dollar amounts or percentages). What i am wondering is if anyone has any recent (or not) experience with either program.

I have have heard in one of Chris Pirillo's videos that he essentially received a $500 "coupon" ($1000 after a $500 membership fee). does anyone know what the one time student hardware discount is? would i get the same discount as the Select ADC on top of the suped-up student discount?

if anyone has ANY info at all, i would be eternally gratefull.

Drake

It's the same discount as a Select member. Student members only get one discount for life, while Select members get one per year.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    drakedrake Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post

It's the same discount as a Select member. Student members only get one discount for life, while Select members get one per year.

just so i understand correctly, i would be receiving a $900 discount ($1000-[$100 membership fee]), or would i be entitled to the net ($500) discount?

thank you for replying so quickly. very pleasant surprise!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The other bonus of select is that Apple sends you a lot of OS upgrade discs for free.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drake View Post

just so i understand correctly, i would be receiving a $900 discount ($1000-[$100 membership fee]), or would i be entitled to the net ($500) discount?

thank you for replying so quickly. very pleasant surprise!

Neither. Look up the hardware price lists on the ADC site, they are about a 20% discount depending on which hardware. If you get something high-end you come out well ahead, way ahead with a student discount. If you can get that I recommend it.

You get the OS upgrades as a Sudent Dev too, just not the seeds.