Apple refurbished products

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just wondering what everyone knows and thinks about Apple refurbished products especially mackbooks and the mackbook air. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Refurb Macbooks and MBPs are fine - the ones I've seen come as though they are brand new. Macbook Air should be the same but avoid the original models as they have slow hard drives and you can't upgrade the drives yourself.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Use the search function. You'll find some good threads. Also, try some searches on YouTube. Lots of good info out there if you search.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    As Tony the Tiger would say, "They're GREAT!!!" I've bought many refurbished macs (iMacs and MacBooks and Mac Minis) and I have been very pleased. The items I received looked and worked like brand new items, except the packages state refurbished. Look through the refurbished items section in the Apple Store website - you'll be surprised at the low prices. These refurbished items are also eligible for the 3 years AppleCare program.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    FYI, my refurbished MacBook Pro finally came in today. I purchased the $1600 15.4" 2.4 2gb version. The computer arrived in absolutely immaculate condition and works like a charm. One thing is a little weird, though... When I look under the system profiler, it says I have 4gb of 1066 DDR 3 RAM. I'm not complaining, but WTF... I guess someone upgraded their order before it was returned, and now I've lucked out. Pics on my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/ls1z28chris
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I know somebody that works in Mac refurbs (that's how I found out about the glass on the macbook pros)...and I can tell you that they go through the same stringent testing as new product. If visual QC catches blemishes on the case, it gets replaced (down to the screws). I would definitely recommend Apple refurb products if you would rather not buy new.

Machead.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Does anyone know if you can pick up refurbished models at an Apple Store or do you have to order them from the website?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Almost always the website, if your lucky a Store will have one on hand if they have delt with it themselves, but I've only heard of that happening once or twice.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to call/visit tomorrow to find out. Just I'd rather pick one up on Friday than have to wait the weekend \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Strange Lulz View Post

Almost always the website, if your lucky a Store will have one on hand if they have delt with it themselves, but I've only heard of that happening once or twice.