I can't Pic the Mac for ME!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Currently I have a 1st gen 13" Macbook that I am about ready to replace. I REALLY like the idea of have a laptop but I can't seem to talk myself out of a 24" imac... One of my main priorities is HDD capacity. However, I REALLY need portability.

I would love a 17" Pro, but I really can't afford it... so these are my options:

15" Pro with 320 GB HDD

24" iMac with 1 TB HDD

Sell me on what the better computer is.

Also I see refurbs in the Apple site with different processor speeds that are currently offered. Older chipsets?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I guess the other option I have would be upgrade my 13" macbook. I see there is a 500GB HD avilible and I could ugrade the memory ect...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post

... However, I REALLY need portability...

Sounds like you need the 'book and an external HDD.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

Currently I have a 1st gen 13" Macbook that I am about ready to replace. I REALLY like the idea of have a laptop but I can't seem to talk myself out of a 24" imac... One of my main priorities is HDD capacity. However, I REALLY need portability.

I would love a 17" Pro, but I really can't afford it... so these are my options:

15" Pro with 320 GB HDD

24" iMac with 1 TB HDD

Sell me on what the better computer is.

Also I see refurbs in the Apple site with different processor speeds that are currently offered. Older chipsets?

What's the capacity of the HDD on your current MacBook? Unless you replaced it with something much larger, I think you'll find the HDD options on an MBP to be enormous compared to what you have today.

Are you related to Kilroy?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

What's the capacity of the HDD on your current MacBook? Unless you replaced it with something much larger, I think you'll find the HDD options on an MBP to be enormous compared to what you have today.

Are you related to Kilroy?

My Macbook is 80GB HDD

Who is Kilroy?

I guess I have decided I do need a notebook... Is there any downside of buying a refurb unit if it fits what I need? I see some have chip speeds not currently available. Does that mean they are older/outdated?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

My Macbook is 80GB HDD

Who is Kilroy?

I guess I have decided I do need a notebook... Is there any downside of buying a refurb unit if it fits what I need? I see some have chip speeds not currently available. Does that mean they are older/outdated?

Many people have had great luck with refurbished units especially if they buy direct from Apple. I've seen some advice about buying a refurb if you know you won't have the computer for a long time but buying new if you know you will have it a long time. I doubt there's any rule of thumb that works for everyone and in all cases. The key is to make sure the computer you buy has the features you need now and expect to need through the time you'll own it.

Kilroy, you ask?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Many people have had great luck with refurbished units especially if they buy direct from Apple. I've seen some advice about buying a refurb if you know you won't have the computer for a long time but buying new if you know you will have it a long time. I doubt there's any rule of thumb that works for everyone and in all cases. The key is to make sure the computer you buy has the features you need now and expect to need through the time you'll own it.

Kilroy, you ask?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here

I do plan on having this computer for a long amount of time. I don't flip computers very often. My 13" Macbook was from the original release week, I have had it for over 3 years. It has been the best computer I have ever owned.

As far as features, any of the new macs will suit what I need. I really just want the large HDD for video clips and Movies. I am a History teacher and my classroom has a projector. It is awesome to have video clips about anything at my disposal to use whenever I want.

The Advantage to having this as INternal HDD is having it on the fly without an external unit.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    If you only need a notebook to serve as a projector, your Macbook is still capable of doing that. A hard drive upgrade sounds like a good idea. While you're at it, you might also pop in a bit more RAM to pep-up your computer (it really does run considerably faster with more RAM, and RAM prices will have come down in the 3 years since you bought it).

If you still find that you need a little more power at-home (it doesn't sound like you need more power on-the-go), perhaps you can also get yourself the iMac in a few months. I would try the cheaper option first (hard drive and RAM), then if you still think you need more to run whatever apps are too slow on your Macbook, then get your new toy. You'll still be able to use your Macbook in-class, and you'll have the iMac at home for more intensive computing needs.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

If you only need a notebook to serve as a projector, your Macbook is still capable of doing that. A hard drive upgrade sounds like a good idea. While you're at it, you might also pop in a bit more RAM to pep-up your computer (it really does run considerably faster with more RAM, and RAM prices will have come down in the 3 years since you bought it).

If you still find that you need a little more power at-home (it doesn't sound like you need more power on-the-go), perhaps you can also get yourself the iMac in a few months. I would try the cheaper option first (hard drive and RAM), then if you still think you need more to run whatever apps are too slow on your Macbook, then get your new toy. You'll still be able to use your Macbook in-class, and you'll have the iMac at home for more intensive computing needs.

I like the idea of that, but I kinda want to have one computer and my macbook is a little beat up. DEAD battery, busted space bar, and other ware... I guess I have to weigh more options...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

I like the idea of that, but I kinda want to have one computer and my macbook is a little beat up. DEAD battery, busted space bar, and other ware... I guess I have to weigh more options...

I've got a 3 year old WhiteBook that I just performed some upgrades on. I added a 320 gig 7200 RPM hard drive and upgraded it to 2 gig of RAM. I use it as my work computer and I was hoping the upgrades would help. I also have a, (recently discontinued 2.53Ghz - no bitterness here), 15 inch MacBook Pro and a 24 inch iMac. I gotta tell ya, the upgraded MacBook does not perform anywhere near the MacBook Pro or the 24 in iMac, so if your choice is upgrade or go new...I'd go new. Don't get me wrong, the WhiteBook is MUCH faster than it was, it's just not as fast as the two new ones.

That said, it sounds like you need portability so the iMac doesn't really sound like an option. You could always get the 15 inch Pro now and then start saving your $$ and get an external display for it later.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I think that you should get a 15" MBP with the minimum necessary hard drive space, and then buy a 750 gb or 1 tb external hard drive for use when you are in a firm location. You'll get portable computing and storage power for your necessities, and will also have additional storage for data you'd like to have available, but to which you don't necessarily need constant access.

Before I bought my 15" MBP, I went through a similar dilemma. What I recommended is similar to the solution that I ultimately went with. I have a 2.4 ghz, 4 gb, 250 gb MBP, a 300 gb external hard drive for Time Machine backup use, a 750 gb external hard drive for general data access and storage, and I use a 1 tb internal hard drive in a networked PC desktop as a redundant backup.

This setup works great for me. You should consider something similar if portability is a large concern. If I had gone with the iMac, I would have regretted that decision sorely. I get similar computing and graphics power, and the additional storage needs are accomplished through external means. Works great.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post

I think that you should get a 15" MBP with the minimum necessary hard drive space, and then buy a 750 gb or 1 tb external hard drive for use when you are in a firm location. You'll get portable computing and storage power for your necessities, and will also have additional storage for data you'd like to have available, but to which you don't necessarily need constant access.

Before I bought my 15" MBP, I went through a similar dilemma. What I recommended is similar to the solution that I ultimately went with. I have a 2.4 ghz, 4 gb, 250 gb MBP, a 300 gb external hard drive for Time Machine backup use, a 750 gb external hard drive for general data access and storage, and I use a 1 tb internal hard drive in a networked PC desktop as a redundant backup.

This setup works great for me. You should consider something similar if portability is a large concern. If I had gone with the iMac, I would have regretted that decision sorely. I get similar computing and graphics power, and the additional storage needs are accomplished through external means. Works great.

I just saw your reply regarding video for your history class. At any time, even with my Boot Camp enabled MPB, I have 100 gb on my Mac HD available. If I were in your position, I would store personal, nonessential videos on an external drive and keep work related video on the internal hard drive.

I don't know about you, but most of my video and music data goes unused. That is why I go with external drives for most of my storage needs.